Amalgamated Champions

quozaxx

Back in the late 1990s the comic book industry came out with Amalgam comics. It's a blend of DC and Marvel.

(For more info go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_(comic_book) or http://www.io.com/~woodward/chroma/amalgam.html )

I have played in a Champions style game using amalgamated characters. ( http://www.herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=669443# )

Each of the new characters had aspects (and most likely reasons) why they were "joined" together. For example: Super Soldier was an amalgam of Captain America and Superman. Both very patriotic, both have been around since WWII, and both are often chosen as leaders.

So, what characters would you amalgam together and why?

Re: Amalgamated Champions

I've played in two Amalgam Champions games.

Rocket Red: Nova's rocket powers plus Robin's fighting and gadgetry. A flying brick with martial arts and a utility belt. Oh my, was he far more effective than I expected. I blended these two because I was in a Teen Titan / New Mutants game, and I wasn't very familiar with a lot of the characters, but knew these two.

The Gag, green shapeshifting prankster: Beast Boy's animal forms and sense of humor plus Slapstick's cartoonish invulnerability (originally going to be The mpossible Man but he was already amalgamated with the Martian manhunter) and humor plus The Mask's toonish abilities. I blended these character because having an invulnerable smart-ass sounded fun to play, and was.

Batman and Daredevil: Bruce Wayne's skills, obsession, and wealth with Matt Murdock's blindness, hypersenses, and profession, and combining their origins, especially their similar parental loss as their crimefighting motivation. I envision him wearing Batman's costume with the grey parts in red. I've thought of partnering him with a blonde Selina Kyle in a variation of the female Dove's costume, and calling them Devil and Angel.

Green Punisher: the Punisher gets a power ring and takes his vigilante schtick onto the cosmic stage. And he wouldn't fight the Weaponeers of Qward --he'd shop there.

Power Ring and Iron Arrow: (Power Man and Iron Fist+ Green Lantern and Green Arrow) A Shaft wannabee gets a cosmic power ring, teams up with a whiter-shade-of-pale vigilante who just happens to have mastered ancient arts of ch'i-assisted martial arts archery.

Tornado Vision: Vision + Red Tornado. A heroic, super-powered android seeks out and stops the writers who ruined his life before they can do it again.

Killraven, The Last Boy on Earth. Killraven +Kamandi, looking to hook up with Brother Eye in a Martian-ruled post-Apocalyptic Earth.

Death Knight: Deathlok + the Atomic Knights. another post-apocalyptic story, this one with cyborgs inside plate armour casing trying to rebuild civilisation and defeat the mysterious power-behind-the-scenes.

Golden Age Wolverine: Did you know that DC had a Wolverine character in the Golden Age? No?* Geoff Johns does, and he's bringing him back, replacing that boring dude with the blades sticking out of his knuckles.

Squirrel Power: Squirrel Girl and Power Girl. Because ...does there have to be a reason for everything?

Goliath (Hawkeye's intermittent alternate identity) plus the new Supergirl: Giant growing man with nothing on his chest but some straps, combined with jailbait in a short skirt. I have no idea what you'd see looking up, but it sure would be educational.

*I made this part up.

Billionaire mercenary conservative radio talk show host Bruce Spector couldn't stand criminals getting off lightly or scot free one second longer. Donning a costume of shifting ebon darkness and luminscent white, he dominates his midnight til dawn timeslot as The Moonbat!

Orphaned princess of a tribe of Kenyan aliens, enslaved by the Shadowarlords of Okaara til she fought her way free, the goddess-beautiful Ororiander blazes across the sky in defense of the defenseless as Stormstarfire!

Foster son of Odin, Highfather of New Genesisvartheim, the true son of the implacable, villainous Darkskywalker, tyrant of Asgardapokolips, Thorion fights evil within and without in honor of his rearing and in defiance of his birthright, his astrochariot always close at hand and his mighty maul near.

Killraven' date=' The Last Boy on Earth. Killraven +Kamandi, looking to hook up with Brother Eye in a Martian-ruled post-Apocalyptic Earth.[/quote']

This one I think could actually work. :thumbup:

Foster son of Odin' date=' Highfather of New Genesisvartheim, the true son of the implacable, villainous Darkskywalker, tyrant of Asgardapokolips, [b']Thorion[/b] fights evil within and without in honor of his rearing and in defiance of his birthright, his astrochariot always close at hand and his mighty maul near.

"Thorion" really was one of the DC/Marvel Amalgam characters, the son of "Thanoseid" and fostered by "Allfather," which I thought was pretty clever.

Bruce Wayne's Spiderman "The Dark Knight": essentially a spider-themed version of Batman with web-projectors & wall-crawling suit to go along with utility-belt. Wears a blue & gray version of Peter Parker's original costume (gray instead of red) w/ black and yellow highlights (belt and insignia).

Peter Parker's Bat "The Boy Wonder": bit by radio-active bat. Preternatural bat-senses. Glider-cape. The proportional strength and speed of a bat. Wears a blue & red version of Bruce Wayne's original costume (red instead of gray) w/ black and white highlights (insignia). No belt.

Thinghunter: (Thing + Martian Manhunter). Testpilot Ben Jones's rocket plane is caught in a blast of coherent cosmic radiation emitted from the dead world of Duneskaith millions of years before humanity even evolved. Transformed outwardly into a super-powered and noble-minded, but physically monstrous alien, he is still a boy from Brooklyn inside, longing to be restored to normal human life. Or is he?

Bruce Wayne's Spiderman "The Dark Knight": essentially a spider-themed version of Batman with web-projectors & wall-crawling suit to go along with utility-belt. Wears a blue & gray version of Peter Parker's original costume (gray instead of red) w/ black and yellow highlights (belt and insignia).

A little something like this? I had him as Bruce Parker, and instead of a bat silhouetted against the moon he saw a spider.

Bruce Banner's "The Incredible" Spider-Man: bit by a gamma-irradiated spider. The more danger his spider-senses detect, the faster he becomes. Wears a purple & green Spider-Man costume.

This was the second character I ever made with HERO 4th ed. It was for a "What If" Moses' staff-snake had been eaten by the staff-snakes of Rameses' court magicians MU campaign. Never played.

From another thread

Captain Martian

Refusing to take any further part in the genocidal civil war between the greens and the blue skinned people of his home system, Captain Jo'n Mar of the M'ree race went looking for the most remote part of the galaxy he could. He was rather surprised to find a intelligent life on the third planet of the Sol system. Not wanting any trouble, he instead settled for making a habitable home on the fourth planet. There he would have stayed, as a recluse for the rest of his days, if not for the fleet his sensors picked up, and his own conscience.

The fleet was intent of invading the 'Earth", and Jo'n Mar realized the primitive planet would have no chance against such superior technology. Sickened by war, he nevertheless rushed to warn the greatest champions of the Earth. His Psychic bands (The most advanced technology his own race had ever devised) took some time to adust, and there were some misunderstandings. The Earthlings at first wondered if the invaders had come from Mars. When he explained that HIS out post was on Mars, they assumed he was a native, and, that with his obvious uniform, he was dubbed "Captain Martian". Since it prevented the still nascent (by his standards) Earthlings from finding his TRUE Homeworld, he let it slide.

The name has stuck ever since.

hermoine kiddo

shot and left for dead on her wding day this student of the occult is rescued by an antiterrorist unit which she joins after recovering

five years later she learns the attack on her weding paty was staged to dupe her into joining

Thor-El; Last god of Krypton

With Krypton, the planet of the gods, about to be destroyed in the Ragnorok unleashed by General Loki, O-Din sneds his young son to Earth, along with Mjolnir, a techno-magic hammer containing all the power of the Kryptonian gods. After growing up in Kansas as Clark Blake, the boy discovers the hammer and his destiny. Operating out of his arctic Fortress of Valhalla, he protects Earth and the universe as Thor-El, god of Thunder.

I've had the idea for running such a campaign on and off again, but I never quite could get it off the ground. Here's a couple of ideas that I've had before.

The Penguin + The Kingpin = Oswald Cobblefisk, The King Penguin of Crime

Wraith Rider, Spirit of Vengeance = The Specter + Ghost Rider

Enigmo = The Riddler + Mysterio

Komodo = Killer Croc + The Lizard

The Gremlin = The Joker + Green Goblin

Jinx = Harley Quinn + Hobgoblin

Supreme Syndikate = Squadron Supreme + Crime Syndikate

- Paragon = Hyperion + Ultraman

- The Owl = Night Owl + Owl Man

- Power Woman = Power Princess + Superwoman

- Rainbow Ring = Doctor Spectrum + Power Ring

- Johnny Whiz = The Whizzer + Johnny Quick

The Penguin + The Kingpin = Oswald Cobblefisk' date=' The King Penguin of Crime [/quote']

Wouldn't Emperor Penguin work as a better name for this one?

Enigmo = The Riddler + Mysterio

Repped. I am so stealing this one!

The Warden -- philanthropic defense attorney Oliver Murdock does what he can to help the city's poor and overlooked by day, taking on legal cases pro-bono, making generous donations from his inherited wealth, financial activist groups, and taking a notoriously liberal stance in local politics. But by night, he dons his costume, grabs his bow, and uses his superhuman senses, martial arts skills, and zen archery to battle crime.

I suppose that Emperor Penguin could work if one plays on the size, but I prefer King Penguin for the wordplay.

And yeah, Enigmo's one of my favorite combos too. ;)

Here's some more I came up with (I got a whole list of 'em):

Dark Tribunal = Eclipso + The Living Tribunal

The Black Mariner = Black Adam + The Sub-Mariner

Essence = The Presence + Infinity

Foundation = The Source + Eternity

Green Nova Corps

- Johnny Jordan = Hal Jordan + Johnny Blaze

- John Cage = John Stewart + Luke Cage

Richard Rayner = Kyle Rayner + Richard Rider

- Billowog = Kilowog + Beta Ray Bill

- Mego = Mogo + Ego

Headhunters = Manhunters + Death's Heads