ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Oh, geez, that reminds me:

Alternative Experience Award Guidelines: Faster/slower progression, use of "percentage of base points"(instead of flat point awards--this means that how much xp you get would be based on your starting points), story-based xp growth, "radiation accidents" and sudden rapid xp growth(think DBZ type "1 year's training in one day" type shtick).

A revamped combat rating system for characters--i.e., there was an old Adventurer's Club article which tried to do such a system, in order to get a ballpark idea of how two characters might compare

Also, various systems of banking XP.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a way to make AoE: Surface work against ranged attacks? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the shaman's Earth/Water/Lightning Shield abilities from WoW.

How about a way to make AoE: Surface work against ranged attacks? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the shaman's Earth/Water/Lightning Shield abilities from WoW.
what do you want it to do to a ranged attack?

You mean a Damage Shield that only "counters" Ranged attacks hitting you? An instant, Auto Resetting Trigger could be used for that (it differs a lot from normal damage shield, since it's not useable as an HTH attack/voluntary attack but such a thing can be done with linked/naked advantages).

what do you want it to do to a ranged attack?

The lightning shield is triggered when the character is struck by a melee or ranged attack, and damages the attacker.

The lightning shield is triggered when the character is struck by a melee or ranged attack' date=' and damages the attacker.[/quote']

I see some ways to do this with the current rules. But we better start a seperate thread about it.

In respect of the ranged damage shield, I think "things that can be done in several ways with the existing rules" and/or "things that are pretty kludgy under the existing rules" are reasonable topics for an APG-type book. I agree that the various ways to do this under current rules belong in a separate thread, but it may be an issue to cover in APG.

I know this might be considered blasphemy, but how about a leveling system for Hero?

Gain enough "xp" (perhaps based on a percentage of the total character point value of the enemies defeated?) and then the characters get x amount of character points to spend. At the same time game limits on stats, active points, etc... also raise a certain amount each level. That way the upper limits always keeps slowly rising along with the characters experience, but the players will never have enough character points to ever be max in everything.

I know this might be considered blasphemy, but how about a leveling system for Hero?

Gain enough "xp" (perhaps based on a percentage of the total character point value of the enemies defeated?) and then the characters get x amount of character points to spend. At the same time game limits on stats, active points, etc... also raise a certain amount each level. That way the upper limits always keeps slowly rising along with the characters experience, but the players will never have enough character points to ever be max in everything.

You mean even while Spendign XP, the players have to stick to Limits but the Limits increase as their overall Character Points (Starting Points + XP) increase?

Let's asume I start as Low Powered Super (a Young Champion). While I send XP, I can't break the Limtis set for Standart Superheroes. Once I have gained the 100 Points of difference (and either earned the 15 Missing Matchign Complications, or get 15 XP and the 15 Complication Points once I "level up") I am now a Standart Superhero and can spend XP with the Limits of High-Powered Superheroes.

This could almost work with the current Values, except:

The Power Level Chart needs more Granularity.

The Power Level Chart needs values for even weaker than Low Powered Superheroes (down to teen-champions level), since the different Powerlevel Categories (Heroic, Super, Normal) don't really mix well (just compare Skill Point Sugestions for Very Powerfull Heroic and Low Powered Super, or the "jumps" in Percentual Complication values).

Apologies if this is already solid under HSMA...

Adding advantages to normal (not martial) combat maneuvers. As an example, Professor Psychic wishes his Block to be based on his OMVC, and not his OCV, as it is based not on a physical Block, but on a wave of mental/telekinetic force. How does he model this? Similarly, he wants to Dodge based on DMCV, as his Dodge is not based on physical speed, but on mentally "coercing" the target to miss.

Sure, we could build something like +X DCV with appropriate modifiers. But 6e has added the AVACV advantage - let's explore its application to the fullest.

Possible sample powers based only on that advantage:

Applying AVACV to Block allows you to Block using OMCV, and applying it to Dodge allows you to Dodge using DMCV.

Now, let's make it Usable as an Attack, over a broad area, such that all characters in the field can only use OMCV to attack and can only use DMCV to defend!

I know this might be considered blasphemy' date=' but how about a leveling system for Hero?[/quote']

That's not blasphemy. It's sacrilege.

Apologies if this is already solid under HSMA...
Actually it might not hurt to put new rules from other 6E books into APG2, just so those parts are all in one place.

I'll second that, seeing some form of "level" or "growth tree" or at least a discussion on considerations for setting one up would be interesting.

You mean even while Spendign XP' date=' the players have to stick to Limits but the Limits increase as their overall Character Points (Starting Points + XP) increase?[/quote']

This is kind of interesting. I was working on a campaign idea (now moth-balled) which had the same idea: a planned series of increases to power/skill/stat caps as players progressed. It might be interesting to add a few thoughts how to do that. A voice of experience (i.e., Steve Long explaining his opinions) is always appreciated.

Other thoughts:

Money: (Dunno if this has been covered anywhere else yet, so I'll add a few ideas here.)

Starting money for Hero is pretty good for Champions games. Being filthy rich doesn't matter much when the other guy can bounce bullets and fly; 15 points is a fair amount of PD and ED. But some genres can be distorted if too much (or too little!) money is allowed for characters. Usually this is easy to spot, but nevertheless a few words on how to adjust certain genres and power levels might be useful.

1. When to outright ban certain wealth perks or complications. Some discussion of what a GM might expect from allowing or disallowing certain wealth perks in his games. What would work best for low-fantasy, street vigilantes, high-fantasy, etc.

2. What I'm less sure of is adjusting the point cost of wealth. Let's say the 15 point wealth level instead costs 150 points! (I multiply all wealth costs by 10.) Well, even though it might not be a good idea, a starting low-fantasy character could likely afford that. Should I as GM allow such a thing? Does that really leave a viable character? Or is the player likely to be very disappointed? A bit of discussion along these lines might be useful to those who like to tool-kit Hero.

OK, done, thanks for listening!

Money:

Maybe what exaclty money can do and can't do in Supers Game (how usefull/disadvanteous normal equipment is in a superhero level fight), where it can and can't mimic a "Mundane Item VPP". Especially with a Filthy Rich Teleporter (who can get any Item, at any time from any place or even "stock" stuff at home).

Money:

Maybe what exaclty money can do and can't do in Supers Game (how usefull/disadvanteous normal equipment is in a superhero level fight), where it can and can't mimic a "Mundane Item VPP". Especially with a Filthy Rich Teleporter (who can get any Item, at any time from any place or even "stock" stuff at home).

Probably not so much "what it can and can't do," as guidelines (regardless of genre) regarding opportunities and limits that the GM could/should declare. It could be a sort of "how-to" on drawing a clearer line between "what you can do with money" and "what you have to pay points for."

I think the majority of the problem with wealth is the fact that a player with wealth doesn't just use it to flavor his character(I.E. The players need to get from San Francisco to New York and the player with wealth buys everyone first class seats.). Players tend to abuse wealth. I've seen things in gameplay such as bribing villains not to fight (I.E. I am filthy rich, here's a million dollars that I'll pay you to switch sides or Why take over America, I'll fund your war on Iran if you go attack there instead.) If you take away wealth, players complain that you are taking points away from them or they simply reallocate the points to something else. I hate it when I hear a player says something like, well, you took the Presidency away from me just because I ordered the invasion of Canada because I hate Celion Dion. I'll just reallocate those points into a new multi-power slot.

Personally, the way I look at things, perks are things which the GM can give or take away based on play. They should not be a way to store points. Maybe clarification is needed here.

Money:

Maybe what exactly money can do and can't do in Supers Game (how useful/disadvantageous normal equipment is in a superhero level fight), where it can and can't mimic a "Mundane Item VPP". Especially with a Filthy Rich Teleporter (who can get any Item, at any time from any place or even "stock" stuff at home).

+1

I too would like to see an expansion on the wealth rules. Perhaps a combination of a VPP/resource point rules from Dark Champions could be used or maybe for every 1 pt of wealth you get 1/5/10 points your allowed some things of non-combat material or maybe the use of something for a one-time only session only. The Bruce Wayne / Tony Stark types always seem to have access to high (or higher) tech stuff not to mention other "incidentals" that make them stand out from the average man on the street

If you take away wealth' date=' players complain that you are taking points away from them or they simply reallocate the points to something else. I hate it when I hear a player says something like, well, you took the Presidency away from me just because I ordered the invasion of Canada because I hate Celion Dion. I'll just reallocate those points into a new multi-power slot[/font']

Personally, the way I look at things, perks are things which the GM can give or take away based on play. They should not be a way to store points. Maybe clarification is needed here.

The rules do say that you get the points back (6E1 page 98).

However, the rules do not seem to say when you get the points back. While it would vary by genre and playing style, some suggestions would be useful here.

I think the majority of the problem with wealth is the fact that a player with wealth doesn't just use it to flavor his character(I.E. The players need to get from San Francisco to New York and the player with wealth buys everyone first class seats.). Players tend to abuse wealth. I've seen things in gameplay such as bribing villains not to fight (I.E. I am filthy rich, here's a million dollars that I'll pay you to switch sides or Why take over America, I'll fund your war on Iran if you go attack there instead.) If you take away wealth, players complain that you are taking points away from them or they simply reallocate the points to something else. I hate it when I hear a player says something like, well, you took the Presidency away from me just because I ordered the invasion of Canada because I hate Celion Dion. I'll just reallocate those points into a new multi-power slot.

This is a GM problem. I'm sorry, but if your world's justice system is letting superheroes get away with funding super-villain attacks, that is in no way a rules issue. As for bribing villains to switch sides, please note that they are *Villains*. Such are not reliable.

+1

I too would like to see an expansion on the wealth rules. Perhaps a combination of a VPP/resource point rules from Dark Champions could be used or maybe for every 1 pt of wealth you get 1/5/10 points your allowed some things of non-combat material or maybe the use of something for a one-time only session only. The Bruce Wayne / Tony Stark types always seem to have access to high (or higher) tech stuff not to mention other "incidentals" that make them stand out from the average man on the street

You are a genius. I was thinking of a way to do this in supers campaigns just last week. People in supers games would get resource points based on the weath perk, or they could buy some to simulate having a benefactor, but no wealth. Ther would be a house rule that states all the equipment bought with resource points has to be bought with the real weapon/real object/ real armor limitation. Said items would be treted as foci with various levels of fragility and usefulness in keeping with actual items in our world. You can buy a Stinger flashlight for less than 100 bucks, so the hero should be able to have one. It is limited though, so the person who has Images to create light as a power, or a focus without real object applied has a better version. If you try to use your Best Buy laptop to try and hack Mechanon, don't be surprised if something bad happens.

I really like the house rules that treat "real" things as lesser objects in superheroic worlds.

The lightning shield is triggered when the character is struck by a melee or ranged attack' date=' and damages the attacker.[/quote']

You should only raise the lightning shield for Rocket Ajax. Flash Gordon is still alive.

This is a GM problem. I'm sorry' date=' but if your world's justice system is letting superheroes get away with funding super-villain attacks, that is in no way a rules issue. As for bribing villains to switch sides, please note that they are *Villains*. Such are not reliable.[/quote']

I have to agree here. However, a paragraph or two on how this kind of use of Money can have game-world consequences would be welcome. For example: reduced trust in the hero by established authorities, at least in a Champions or Dark Champions world; in the case of a bribed villain, what the villain does with his newfound wealth; and, of course, the number of other villains who find out about this and want a piece of that pie.

Foating Contacts (A universal for people who know people)

This may be conceptually covered under the extant "Universal" explanation in HSS and APG1.