ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Action Survivor Rules

For campaigns that don't focus on the traditional combat guru characters gamer's traditionally make and systems traditionally cater too. This would be helpful for people who make non-traditional protagonists, genres like horror where protagonists are often "ordinary folk forced to survive and overcome), and more character driven games.

Reality Distortion Rules

Similar to the above... but more for cinematic characters.

WOO (Weapons Out of Ordinance) Factor. Sometimes guns only go empty at dramatically appropriate moments. A progressive activation roll could be implemented.

Existential Angst. Essentially, the character gets bonuses/boosts related to fufilling a specific, goal-oriented task. Both the psychological limitation and abilities are temporary. Example: Must Have Revenge on X and Overall Levels vs. X.

I'm sure you can think of others.

These are more genre tropes than things characters should pay for with points, IMO.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to floating contacts:

I think you could do that with using a contact with +3 to the CP value for being extremely well conneted (similar to having extremely usefull skills or resources) and buying the roll very high (this will offset any danger penalty, mimiking that you can always choose the "right" contact for the job).

Or did you mean something else here?

That's not blasphemy. It's sacrilege.

Actually it might not hurt to put new rules from other 6E books into APG2, just so those parts are all in one place.

While its probably not APG material - and not something I'd want added to the rules - a free supplemental download of a few pages explaining how to implement a "power level" system ala M&M would probably be useful for new game-masters and players.

Foating Contacts (A universal for people who know people)

I've also used Organizational Contacts to model this. Official discussion of the pros and cons of each way would be appropriate.

I've relatively recently played some FATE and I like the aspects system. I'd hardly ask for a drastic introduction of anything like that to HERO, but here's a few things that I think could be interesting points to touch upon:

The Pros of Complications versus the Cons of Characteristics, Skills, Perks, Talents, and Powers.

We're all used to purchased abilities being generally positive while Complications (and to a similar extent, Power Limitations) are generally negative, but there are times when the opposite is true: appropriate Psychological Complications can buffer against Mental Powers or Presence Attacks in the right circumstances; Foci can be handed off to others (and used if Universal).

Those are mechanical elements of HERO that already cater to the idea, but I wonder if a proper discussion can bring it to light for further clarity in order to possibly improve the quality of roleplaying by promoting players to think more about the greater implications of what they put on their character sheet, most particularly how their character's personality and behavior is affected, if not their backgrounds and greater themes and motifs.

Have I lost anyone with my babbling?

I see the posibillity of complications to shield yourself against certain MC-Commands too.

The usable by others is mostly a -0 limitation. If one player starts abusing that, he has to change his power in an UOO on GM request.

So it's more often that the Rule Construct of the hero follows the concept, not the other way around.

This is a GM problem. I'm sorry' date=' but if your world's justice system is letting superheroes get away with funding super-villain attacks, that is in no way a rules issue. As for bribing villains to switch sides, please note that they are *Villains*. Such are not reliable.[/quote']

The question would be what is a supervillain vs a superhero then? If a supervillain is paid by the U.S. government to fight the Nazi's in WWII, is he a supervillain? In action, isn't the supervillain "doing something good" for a country if he abides by all the rules of warfare as such? It's all well and good if you are running a black and white world, but the greyer the world, the more problematic it becomes.

Not all supervillains are unreliable. Doctor Doom keeps his word even if it hurts his own plans, because he is honorable. The Sandman may not be robbing banks to fund a lavish life style, but rather to fund the expensive doctors care his little girl needs. In a four color, black and white game world, villains may do dastardly things all the time. In a greyer world, that is not always the case.

Wealth is uncapped at 15 points allowing players to spend as much as they want. In a game where there are defined limits elsewhere, why shouldn't wealth also be a defined limit?

I think what many want (myself included) is going beyond just

"I spent 1-15 points on the wealth perk" now what can I do with it?

I think the wealth rules are a little vague as to what you can/cannot do with it. I like some of the ideas of using floating perks, resource pools, etc... or extras to make the player a little more "resourceful" than those that do not have the wealth perk.

Just my $.02 :)

Maybe there should be a "Wealth roll", and in certain situations players can make a wealth check as a complimentary skill roll with another check.

For example, player making a Charm roll to seduce an NPC, can make a wealth roll as a complementary roll first, because some ladies/men are turned on by money.

Or maybe if they are making a mechanics check (and taking extra time) they can make a complementary Wealth check first, because they are able to afford the best tools and gizmos to help them in what they are doing.

You get the idea.

See' date=' now it won't be in APG 2 because we didn't leave Steve anything to write for himself ;)[/quote']

That's something we can prevent ;)

I think we've had enough discussion of Money for the time being. ;) If y'all would like to keep discussing these issues' date=' please start a separate thread. Thanx![/quote']

We promise to not talk about it here anymore, but only if you write someting about it in the APG 2. :)

I had this idea that the default DEF would be only PD.

and that Blast would (without advantages) be Physical and do Knockback.

Energy attacks would by definition have No Knockback, and Energy Defense would be a power rather than an attribute (like Mental Defense or resistant Defense).

so - Normal people would not have any energy Defense.

1. Social Combat rules: A section discussing rules for modeling various forms of competitive social interaction with rules, just like physical and mental combat are modeled. Rather than presenting a "one true way," I'm going to discuss the general considerations you should take into account if you want to use Social Combat in your campaign, and then present two or three different systems for Social Combat. Thus you can pick to preference, or "roll your own."

Then Hero System can take its rightful place in the ever growing number of systems that do Exalted better than Storyteller.

I'd just buy the extra DCV and call it a mental fog to any being with an ego to hit(it is just a background power that is always on)

then put a limitation on the extra DCV as to not work vs robots,atomatons,computer controlled weapons

Apologies if this is already solid under HSMA...

Adding advantages to normal (not martial) combat maneuvers. As an example, Professor Psychic wishes his Block to be based on his OMVC, and not his OCV, as it is based not on a physical Block, but on a wave of mental/telekinetic force. How does he model this? Similarly, he wants to Dodge based on DMCV, as his Dodge is not based on physical speed, but on mentally "coercing" the target to miss.

Sure, we could build something like +X DCV with appropriate modifiers. But 6e has added the AVACV advantage - let's explore its application to the fullest.

Possible sample powers based only on that advantage:

Applying AVACV to Block allows you to Block using OMCV, and applying it to Dodge allows you to Dodge using DMCV.

Now, let's make it Usable as an Attack, over a broad area, such that all characters in the field can only use OMCV to attack and can only use DMCV to defend!

I'd just buy the extra DCV and call it a mental fog to any being with an ego to hit(it is just a background power that is always on)

then put a limitation on the extra DCV as to not work vs robots,atomatons,computer controlled weapons

Sure, we could build something like +X DCV with appropriate modifiers. But 6e has added the AVACV advantage - let's explore its application to the fullest.

I'd like to see APG explore possibilities of things added or significantly modified in 6e - the constructs and rules that have been with us for extended periods have already been analyzed in considerable depth. Let's take a deeper look at what the new tools can do, and what they can simplify from prior editions' builds.