ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

And' date=' before I forget to mention it again, I'd like to see rules for constructing a skill level, along the lines of the martial arts maneuver construction rules from HSMA. I am firmly convinced that the distinction between Combat, Penalty, and General Skill levels is artificial, and fairly-costed Universal Skill Levels can be created.[/quote']

I'd like to see an option for universally costed skills, too.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transplanted from another thread...

I think the cost structure of ALL the various Skill Levels' date=' Combat Skill Levels and Penalty Skill Levels begins with the Overall Level with 'hidden' limitations defining what what the 'lesser' level can then apply to.[/quote']

I agree with this approach and think it would be nice, perhaps in an APG, to see a Talent-type build for a Combat Skill Level and/or an ordinary skill level. What are they? Probably a Multipower of some form (+X OCV, +X DCV, maybe +X INT, PRE, DEX for skill rolls, perhaps +X mOCV and mDCV, and the tough one - +Y damage classes (Y = 1/2X). We also get Bouncing attacks and a few other ancillary benefits.

Drop from an overall level to an all combat level and we just remove the bonus stat slots. Drop Mental Combat and we just lose those stats. But dropping from "all combat" to "all HTH" to "just Kung Fu" to "Punch OCV only" is the less obviously priced adjustment.

I guess we know +1 OCV, only for one specific attack is either a -1 1/2 limitation (5/2.5 = 2) or a -2 limitation (5/3 = 1 2/3 rounds to 2). And we know that the overall multipower, under 6e rules, costs 12. So what's in between, how do we get there and what limitations are applied.

With this breakdown, we could, for example, build combat skill levels that don’t add to DC, or can’t enhance DCV or mDCV, or what have you.

When I got my grubby mitts on 6e (what a great night that was... ah...), I did wonder what happened to Aid's Maximum Effect adder - why was it removed, while Absorption's got better? What if that was reintroduced, or else explained how to do so (like limited Dice - what value to use?).

Here's something I've considered suggesting for some time: what if Area of Effect could apply to Block or Reflection so that there is a counteractive defense to AoE attacks? This would simulate numerous things, from Wonder Woman blocking Giganta's fist to a Dragonball character deflecting a giant energy blast to two kaiju battling it out with AoE-sized fists. I figure that defensive area must equal or exceed the attack area. Maybe an OCV penalty could apply?

Here's something I've considered suggesting for some time: what if Area of Effect could apply to Block or Reflection so that there is a counteractive defense to AoE attacks? This would simulate numerous things' date=' from Wonder Woman blocking Giganta's fist to a Dragonball character deflecting a giant energy blast to two kaiju battling it out with AoE-sized fists. I figure that defensive area must equal or exceed the attack area. Maybe an OCV penalty could apply?[/quote']

Why not use the Barrier power for this?

Here's something I've considered suggesting for some time: what if Area of Effect could apply to Block or Reflection so that there is a counteractive defense to AoE attacks? This would simulate numerous things' date=' from Wonder Woman blocking Giganta's fist to a Dragonball character deflecting a giant energy blast to two kaiju battling it out with AoE-sized fists. I figure that defensive area must equal or exceed the attack area. Maybe an OCV penalty could apply?[/quote']

There is a "can be deflected disadvantage". 6E1 145

For Dragonball/Wonder Woman: I wouldn't build them as AOE (did they ever hit more than one target?), there are just Blasts/HTH with oversized visual effect. The only time they wouldn't dodge them, was when the planet was in danger of being hit and destroyed.

About the Kaiju: Relative to each other, they don't have AOE.

7. Maybe reprint/update the Speed Zone from Ultimate Speedster. That's worth keeping in print' date=' even if only as a theoretical exercise. ;)[/quote']

I was just thinking this over and also would like to see a generalized treatment of zones.

And another thing... rules for Characteristics other than STR adding to Powers, and/or Powers other than HA and HKA being boosted by Characteristics. Examples would be a Nimble Blade (HKA boosted by DEX instead of STR), or a Spell of Domination (Mind Control boosted by the caster's EGO).

Extradimensional Movement - single dimension - useable by others - vehicles only.

If you buy it UAA, it becomes a Tow Zone. If you link it to TK, it's a Loading Zone (if ya wanna load).

Extradimensional Movement - single dimension - useable by others - vehicles only.

Except that a "No Parking Zone" is a legal issue and anyone can move into it, physically speaking. So the question becomes, how do you build a legal issue without resorting to handwave?

Except that a "No Parking Zone" is a legal issue and anyone can move into it' date=' physically speaking. So the question becomes, how do you build a legal issue without resorting to handwave?[/quote']

It must be very close to the "Lawfull Neutral Zone", they will enforce non parking there.

And another thing... rules for Characteristics other than STR adding to Powers' date=' and/or Powers other than HA and HKA being boosted by Characteristics. Examples would be a Nimble Blade (HKA boosted by DEX instead of STR), or a Spell of Domination (Mind Control boosted by the caster's EGO).[/quote']I enthusiastically second this. Used judiciously, I think it could add some really cool flavor to many games -- not most, necessarily, but at least a significant minority. It may call for a "Caution" sign, but the right Advantages and/or Limitations might make it less problematic.

I enthusiastically second this. Used judiciously' date=' I think it could add some really cool flavor to many games -- not most, necessarily, but at least a significant minority. It may call for a "Caution" sign, but the right Advantages and/or Limitations might make it less problematic.[/quote']

And especially the fact that they would cost endurance when used this way.

Except that a "No Parking Zone" is a legal issue and anyone can move into it' date=' physically speaking. So the question becomes, how do you build a legal issue without resorting to handwave?[/quote']

Reason from effect. It must be change Environment, and I need to make a Luck roll each time increment my car is parked there to avoid a ticket!

Reason from effect. It must be change Environment' date=' and I need to make a Luck roll each time increment my car is parked there to avoid a ticket![/quote']

Excellent! And the ticket would be Drain Cash, where there's some conversion rate between $ and CP.

Excellent! And the ticket would be Drain Cash' date=' where there's some conversion rate between $ and CP.[/quote']

Can't be. A Drain Heals. And where should all the end to maintain Supresses come from? Perhaps rather a dispel or Transform: Money in Nothing. Or perhaps a Blast, only vs. Cash?

P.S.: I think wre are definetly no longer in the "ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?"-Zone

Can't be. A Drain Heals. And where should all the end to maintain Supresses come from? Perhaps rather a dispel or Transform: Money in Nothing. Or perhaps a Blast, only vs. Cash?

P.S.: I think wre are definetly no longer in the "ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?"-Zone

Hmm...Blast, Only vs Cash would probably work best, provided you could convert.

And another thing... rules for Characteristics other than STR adding to Powers' date=' and/or Powers other than HA and HKA being boosted by Characteristics. Examples would be a Nimble Blade (HKA boosted by DEX instead of STR), or a Spell of Domination (Mind Control boosted by the caster's EGO).[/quote']

Perhaps the costing can be something similar to how the new alternate combat value rules work on powers?

Perhaps the costing can be something similar to how the new alternate combat value rules work on powers?

The problem with this is DEX costs different than STR and if you want a damage bonus based on OCV...Perhaps cost it according to how much the base values (10 STR, etc.) cost in AP?

Now that I have an information post to go up and not just more spam - Sorry for the spam, Steve.