Alien Flagship Falling From Orbit

Marcus Impudite

Your character, his/her associates, and several other super teams have boarded the flagship of an alien invasion force. After fighting the invaders for roughly an hour, alarms start to ring out and the alien captain's voice booms over the intercoms, issuing the order for all hands to abandon ship! The alien mooks you were just engaged in combat with suddenly start scrambling for the escape pods and forget about you. As it turns out, one of the other super teams managed to do such crippling damage to the engines and other ship's systems that it can no longer maintain it's current orbit. The crippled flagship is soon falling fast, and from the looks of things, the most likely impact site will be... (roll a d6)

1. ...the middle of the North Atlantic.
  2. ...just off the coast of South Africa.
  3. ...London, England.
  4. ...The Austrialian Outback.
  5. ...Osaka, Japan.
  6. ...Cleveland, Ohio.

WWYCD?

Re: Alien Flagship Falling From Orbit

Question:

Should we actually throw a die, or it this list just to show how it could land (if we do nothing)?

What size do we talk about (what STR would be needed to move it)?

How dangerous would it be for the land (fusion generator) or the sea (full of toxic/mutagenic stuff that should not get into the ocean)?

Do we even have a die roller here?

That said: the location wouldn't change what my characters would do. Though I do find it strange that any fight would last an hour in this system.

My flying brick would try to push it where there aren't any people, but that's a lot of vehicle to push, and my character is only str 70. Thankfully several of my teammates are also very strong and can fly.

My other characters would evacuate the vessel, because they don't have the right power set to really do anything about it.

If it landed in Cleveland, would anyone notice?

The answer for each character is the same, try to steer the ship (either by pushing or by fumbling at the controls) away from a populated area. Alternatively, try to blow it up so it doesn't crash in one big whole.

At the risk of A) being wrong because I'm too lazy to look it up or B) being right and exposing myself as the horrible geek I am;

An Imperial Star Destroyer was a big ship only in relative terms of being a spaceship. Its like a few aircraft carriers in size so if it crashes into the ocean, aside from some pollution issues it probably wouldn't be that big a deal (and ISD's typically aren't filled with crude oil like a tanker so the pollution probably isn't that severe). So I'd probably try to get it out to the water if it wasn't already headed that way.

On the other hand I think the Super Star Destroyers dwarfed them. If you're talking about ships big enough to cause coastal flooding even if it's crashed into the middle of the icy cold waters of the Atlantic then I don't know what I'd do. Maybe see if I could make it explode if I thought that would reduce the problem.

Of course the character that I played the most long, long ago named Tech would just fix it and then fly it up to orbit (he was basically a mutant who had pretty much complete control over technology)

All of my characters except Olorin would try to steer it as best as possible and t-port out.

Olorin might, just might, break several self imposed rules and travel back in time. Not to prevent the crippling of the ship or anything that has already occurred, but to put together help to take the ship somewhere harmless. The sun would be his first choice. Then Antartica, then somewhere in deep ocean.

Wraith just starts to use her gravitic crush to destroy it from within and haymakering

8d6 body drain at speed 6

or use her

Flight 16m, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Usable As Attack (x32 maximum weight per inanimate target; +2 1/2) (60 Active Points)

to nudge it to a safe (for those down below)landing

She is a mutant that is a controlled black hole

Assuming that the alien flagship in question is indeed the size of an ISD from Star Wars

(about 1.5 kilometers in length -- around the same size as the Galactica from the new

BSG series), letting it make landfall anywhere comes under the heading of A Very Bad

Idea. Since from the sound of things that there's no way to prevent the descent of the

flagship, the best that Powerstar (and any other bricks that are up there with him)

would be able to accomplish would be to manage a controlled, gliding crash into the

North Atlantic (controlled so far as trying to make certain that the ship comes down at

an angle instead of straight down; with luck, the end result would look something like

a waterborne version of the saucer section crashlanding from Star Trek: Generations).

Once the ship is (more or less) safely down, the next step would be for him (and any-

one else with Full Life Support) to go down underneath the ship to make certain that

there aren't any hull breaches that could potentially release harmful substances into

the ocean.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Minus 50 and counting...

Knight Sabre would gasp "No! Osaka!" before leaping in to help. Sheis no techno wizard, her sister built her power armour, but she'd begin co-ordinating efforts with the other heroes aboard the ship. She's used to giving orders and managing group efforts. She's not the strongest super out there (50 STR) but can fly and her suit is enviro-sealed so she'd join in the effort of guiding the ship to a less destructive landing in the ocean. She would then aid in the clean up efforts.

Dark Star has no tech skills to speak of. He can fly and survive in the vaccuum of space, but he has normal human strength so couldn't help push the beast. He would try placing a series of shaped darkforce contructs in the path of the thing's fall in the hope that they would help deflect it. But, frankly, I don't think they'd do much, they aren't that strong. So I guess he'd sigh and say "Farewell, Cleveland. We hardly knew ye."

TCWOAN would simply groom himself while his "staff" (a starship crew/super-group) handled things.The Cat&etc. was the only member of the group that didn't have piloting skill (or, for that matter, thumbs!)

Lance O'Bannon, TSC would accidentally find the controls (perhaps an auxiliary control room) and tinker with them, accidentally deploying whatever last-ditch safety equipment the ship had on board, which would result in a survivable landing in whichever best location is available to land it. After the last survivor fled to safety, the ship would collapse into a pile of spare parts.

Or not. Luck is fickle and you can't shoot a plummeting space vehicle back into control even with a set of semi-magical revolvers. He was, however, my first PC to Save the Multiverse!

Thunder Rabbit and/or Bob Tiger (different campaigns, basically the same character except appearance and method of locomotion) would ask his team-mates if they had any ideas. Aerospace wasn't either of their areas of expertise.

Agent Dunn would possibly have the expertise and know-how to (with the aid of a few strong flying heroes) maximize the glide path to an optimal, unpopulated soft-landing point near a military installation that could put up a cordon around the landing area to aid the injured (if any) still aboard the vessel and contain any escaping combatants. His superpowers were that he was super-smart, superduperly persuasive, had loads of INT- and PRE-based skills, was a great martial artist and had a 6d6 NND (force field, IIRC) zap gun.

Iron Maiden and/or Rose Hancock, being flying bricks, would do their best to steer the falling warship toward the nearest large body of water to minimize the damage.

Doctor Syence, being (like Wile E. Coyote) a Suuuuuper-Genius, would figure out a way to get the ship's systems working again, and regain a stable orbit--or at least work out how to manage a controlled landing instead of a catastrophe cratering.

Black Mask (martial artist), Raven (reality manipulator), Black Knight (indestructible brawler), Legion (shapeshifting spy), Hell's Angel (human torch) and most of my other PCs would abandon the falling warship and, if possible, try to warn someone who COULD handle the problem, because they certainly can't.

Black Mask (martial artist), Raven (reality manipulator), Black Knight (indestructible brawler), Legion (shapeshifting spy), Hell's Angel (human torch) and most of my other PCs would abandon the falling warship and, if possible, try to warn someone who COULD handle the problem, because they certainly can't.

as would tuff-man who wonder how he got involved in this to begin with alei nvasions are definately outt of his league

Someone would first have to explain to Kurzhaan the Conqueror how fast a ship in a decaying orbit is traveling so he could understand exactly how bad letting it crash into the ocean off the Cape of Good Hope would be. He'd then hit it with a big Constant Transform attack to turn the whole thing into harmless vapor or rain.

Super Model doesn't have any relevant powers or skills that could move something that big and fast, but she could help provide emergency escape for tech-savvy heroes who might be able to better deal with the problem.

Young Scratch could probably most easily deal with the thing by just dimensionally transporting it back home. Though he might go the spectacular route and work up a really high-yield Damage Over Time fireball to explode it outside the atmosphere.

Earth Girl wouldn't be helping in the fight on an alien spacecraft in the first place, as virtually all of her active powers would be useless there. She'd have remained planetside to help mop up any alien troops that make it to the surface.

Psyber, my first Champions character (who became my online ID when the internet blew up) would form a Mind Link with the ships onboard computer and, if the damage was beyond his abilities to repair, would cause the drive to explode if at all possible, even if it meant blowing himself up in the process.

His later incarnations from when i played alot of CoH would have chased the aliens, using his mental powers to wrack them with pain so they couldn't get to the escape pods, and hopefully find SOMEONE on board who knew enough about the ship to correct this issue.

When he went Villain for CoV? Contact the relevant authorities at all the potential landing sites, and start taking bids for where NOT to crash it!

Earth Girl wouldn't be helping in the fight on an alien spacecraft in the first place' date=' as virtually all of her active powers would be useless there. She'd have remained planetside to help mop up any alien troops that make it to the surface.[/quote']

What if they had a biosphere on board? Maybe an organic ship? Could that allow her to use her powers?

Orion would try to blow it up before it hit the atmosphere. He'd make sure to teleport off in time to save himself, then head back to the crash site to help out however he could. Afterwards, he'd try to completely disappear for a Long Time. No matter what really happened, he'd get the blame for it.

Emerald Knight and Gunslinger would try to steer it to the Australian Outback for a controlled crash landing. Failing that, go for the ocean. They want to minimize damage, but really, really want to salvage as much as possible from this ship in order to better understand the technology. Neither are that great at geography, and would figure that the Outback is a barren wasteland with nothing living there, so it can't hurt anything, right?

• 2 weeks later...