In other news...

tkdguy

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

Yeah, I did that recently with head staples, and yeah, it was foolish.

Five different jokes immediately came to mind, but I'll hold off for now.  Are you really going to leave that statement just hanging there with no explanation?  :)

Okay, fine.  Longer version:

It's a Sunday evening and I'm loading groceries in the back of wife's SUV.  Younger boy had recently learned that he could reach the tailgate if he jumped up and grabbed it, so it was standard operating procedure to let him jump up and slam the tailgate closed when we were done loading or unloading.  So he did.  Only I wasn't done loading, so as I swung back to the car with a gallon of milk in each hand, a high speed tailgate with an eighty-pound kid hanging off it made contact with my skull, and I did indeed take x2 STUN.  (Fun fact: for insurance purposes, this qualifies as an auto accident.)

I said something appropriate to the occasion and finished putting the milk away, then felt something wet on my face.  It wasn't milk.  Nothing bleeds like a head wound.  Human injuries amuse me greatly, so I'm standing there in the parking lot at Target laughing over a puddle of my own blood while boy cries and wife freaks out.  Eventually we got it together, got the cart put away and the kids in the car while I held my brains in with a wad of kleenex.  Most importantly, the car was not damaged.

We went home and dropped off the kids and groceries (priorities!) and headed to the clinic.  But it was Sunday evening, and because we'd made that stop the clinic was closed, and we had to go to the ER. 

Time passes very slowly in the ER if you're not actually dying.  After about an hour, a nurse came in and rinsed out the wound, and announced that I would need staples.  An hour and a half after that, a doctor finally showed up with the staple gun.  She said I would need three staples, would I like her to numb the wound first?

So at this point I've been in the ER for almost three hours, it's 830pm, and I'm bored and starving.  It'll take twenty minutes for the novocaine to kick in and I know that if I let this doctor walk away I wont see her again for another hour at least.  So I make like I'm a badass and decline the anesthesia.  It's only three staples, how bad can it be?

Well... the way medical staples work, they don't just puncture your skin--they have to pull your flesh back together as well.  So instead of feeling a couple of pokes, I felt the staples stretch my entire scalp back together over my head.  Slooooowly.

When she was done the doctor asked how I was doing, and all I could say was, "That... really... hurt..."  And she said yeah, she should probably stop giving people the option to decline the novocaine.  Seriously, I could have endured five, maybe six staples before I started to cry.

But despite that, it still wasn't as painful as the six months of insurance bureaucracy I had to deal with afterward.  Health insurance in this country is seriously effed up.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

a high speed tailgate with an eighty-pound kid hanging off it made contact with my skull, and I did indeed take x2 STUN.

One time in the Navy I walked into a low-hanging fire sprinkler valve. It hurt so bad I wound up down on one knee, and I don't remember actually GOING down to the knee. For a few seconds, I couldn't do anything else and for several seconds more I didn't do anything except pull myself together. Afterward, I analyzed in HERO terms and found that the game is pretty accurate:

Assuming that all my stats were baseline, I figured that what happened is that I did a move-through on the ship (and failed to do any knockback, of course). That does STR damage plus a velocity bonus that I wasn't moving fast enough to get, so I did 2d6 Physical to the ship and got the same damage in return. Assuming average results, I took 2 Body and 7 Stun, reduced to 0 Body and 5 Stun by my natural 2 PD. After applying x2 Stun for the hit location and another x2 Stun for taking damage out of combat, my total damage taken was 0 Body and 20 Stun. With my CON of 10, I was Stunned but not unconscious. My "next phase" was consumed by recovering from being stunned, and then I voluntarily "took a recovery" on all my actions until I had my Stun back.

TL;DR: head injuries hurt and I'm a nerd.

Don't think I have ever to my knowledge had a concussion.  (I have a hard head;)).  About the only maybe, I can think of was as a kid during T-ball practice one kid throwing the ball into the infield for some reason when no one was looking, clocked off the left side of my head.  I crumpled, and things didn't much sense for 5-10 seconds, but I think I was nothing more than stunned.

Note: This was the early 1980s, so no we didn't go to the hospital for that "piddly nuthin".  :P

2nd Note: When I was 8, I fell on a piece of glass that would result in 8 stitches in my leg in 2 different places and part of the glass still in my leg.  And my dad (while looking at my still profusely bleeding leg) asking my mother "So, uhh, should we take him to the hospital?" I think my mother's answer was roughly "of course, you idiot".

Brazil's national museum hit by huge fire

Most of the 20 million items it contained, including the oldest human remains ever found in the Americas, are believed to have been destroyed.

The cause of the blaze is not known. No injuries have been reported.

The museum, located in a building that once served as the residence for the Portuguese royal family, celebrated its 200th anniversary this year.