In other news...

tkdguy

Ash Carter will become the new Sec of Defense--Interesting reading. 

“Ash Carter Predicted 9/11″: ESP or foreknowledge?

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/12/05/ash911/

More accurately, I'd say poorly written, half-baked conspiracy looney reading. More of the "WTC bombing actually by US government" silliness. Photoshopping Ash Carter onto an Israeli flag decorated with bloody handprints is usually a good sign that this is not a serious news site :)

As for predicting 9/11, back in the late 90's, Susano and I (and a couple of other friends) were discussing the possibility of suicide attacks by terrorists using hijacked airliners. We got the basic MO corect and even picked most of the 9/11 targets correctly (not hard to do when you think of likely targets, though we did not predict the WTC). The US government's response was (sadly) pretty much as predicted, too. It wasn't ESP or foreknowledge, just basic thought.

Cheers, Mark

We discovered that Mum's yarn holder thingies look decidedly phallic when held the right/wrong way up. She could barely look them in the eye afterwards.

In other news, the extraordinary election will not be called. The more non-crazy parties got together to hash out new procedures regarding getting budgets approved, so now minority governments can actually govern more reliably. The budget that the Riksdag approved this December was the one proposed by the center-right Alliance: Our PM, Stefan Löfvén, heading the center-green-left cabinet, did not want to administer said budget since it went against the cabinet's policies. But now, he gets one year of opposition budget but is pretty much guaranteed to have a cakewalk for his next three.

More accurately, I'd say poorly written, half-baked conspiracy looney reading. More of the "WTC bombing actually by US government" silliness. Photoshopping Ash Carter onto an Israeli flag decorated with bloody handprints is usually a good sign that this is not a serious news site :)

As for predicting 9/11, back in the late 90's, Susano and I (and a couple of other friends) were discussing the possibility of suicide attacks by terrorists using hijacked airliners. We got the basic MO corect and even picked most of the 9/11 targets correctly (not hard to do when you think of likely targets, though we did not predict the WTC). The US government's response was (sadly) pretty much as predicted, too. It wasn't ESP or foreknowledge, just basic thought.

Cheers, Mark

You raise good points to consider thanks. I checked that Ashton did write the Foreign Affairs aricle, but can't glance at it because it don't have a login—Maybe you do?

The other info can be checked and if not verified by a more reliable source should (of course) be dismissed. 

2-Year-Old Accidentally Shoots His Mother With Her Handgun

This reminded me of an incident many years ago--I was working in a factory in a small town; the factory was in the downtown, and near the south entrance was the parking lot for the VFW hall next door.  One very cold winter day I happened to look at the south entrance--and the door had been bashed in.  I found out later what had happened--a woman had left the engine running to run an errand in the VFW hall, with a little child supposedly secure in the child seat.  Apparently the kid managed to unlatch the harness, get out of the child seat and into the driver's seat, and put the car in gear.

Thankfully no one was injured--but it does illustrate a really good point; now matter how cautious or prepared you think you are as a parent, there's always the possibility of that one moment where the kid somehow gets past all the safety blocks and causes a calamity.  And in the case of the calamity in the article above, the result was especially tragic.

I would not want to be that kid growing up.  I'm thinking the father should take the rest of the family and move across the country, somewhere where the locals won't point and say, "That's the kid who killed his mom by accident."

I don't know if it would help, but it's the best idea that came to mind.

This reminded me of an incident many years ago--I was working in a factory in a small town; the factory was in the downtown, and near the south entrance was the parking lot for the VFW hall next door.  One very cold winter day I happened to look at the south entrance--and the door had been bashed in.  I found out later what had happened--a woman had left the engine running to run an errand in the VFW hall, with a little child supposedly secure in the child seat.  Apparently the kid managed to unlatch the harness, get out of the child seat and into the driver's seat, and put the car in gear.

Thankfully no one was injured--but it does illustrate a really good point; now matter how cautious or prepared you think you are as a parent, there's always the possibility of that one moment where the kid somehow gets past all the safety blocks and causes a calamity. 

No offense meant, wcw, but I'd have to question how "cautious or prepared" a person is who leaves a kid in a running car to run an errand.  Even on a very cold winter day it's not like the car is going to turn freezing in a minute or two with the engine off, and if her errand was going to take longer than that, she shouldn't have left the kid alone in the car, period.

(Personally, I don't agree with leaving the kid alone in the car even for just a minute or two.  When my kids were small, the only time they were in the car when I wasn't was when I got out just long enough to get the mail from the communal mailboxes, and the car was not running and was in plain sight, just a handful of steps away the whole time.  Otherwise, the kids went where I went, even in the midst of a hard Michigan winter.)

No offense taken.  It did seem to me, though, that the mother in my example thought her child was secure in her car seat and could be left unattended for a minute, just as the mother in the article thought her weapon was secure in her purse and it could be left with the two-year-old son.  As it turned out, both of them were wrong.

I think that this

grid-cell-7187-1419959250-6.jpg

could probably look less like a sex toy and more like a kid's toy.

Where can I get one of those? I bet it's going to become a valuable collector's item, because I'm sure they're going to change the design very quickly and make the originals as scarce as they can....

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary wants two

You raise good points to consider thanks. I checked that Ashton did write the Foreign Affairs aricle, but can't glance at it because it don't have a login—Maybe you do?

The other info can be checked and if not verified by a more reliable source should (of course) be dismissed. 

Ashton Carter did write the article in question - he warned that terrorist attacks against the US had been attempted in the past, and that eventually some of them were likely to succeed (well, duh!) He also indicated possible high risk targets: the two towers, the white house, etc. All of which is .... well, common sense actually, and no different from what me and my buddies (and tons of other people) were saying. He did not predict airline hijacks, he didn't predict the date, all he did is point to something that should have been obvious to anyone paying even moderate attention to foreign affairs.

He also pointed out that reactionary elements in the US government would use such an attack to push their own security business agenda, which of course also happened ... and which other people had also pointed out was likely in advance. Heck, they're still doing it today, and back in the commie era they did it then. Predicting that outcome doesn't require prescience so much as basic awareness of US politics.

As for the site that published the article, they're ... how do I put this delicately? They're raving, drooling bug**** crazy - for example, just sample this delicious article about how Liberals and Jews have nearly toppled the British Conservatives through mass ritual satanic sacrifice ... and then go on to the big reveal - satanic cults are actually the front for an extraterrestrial mind control operation! This is stupidity on such a scale that mere contact with it burns. So seriously, I don't think we need to look for corroborating evidence before dismissing this out of hand.

cheers, Mark

Ashton Carter did write the article in question - he wLiberals and Jews have nearly toppled the British Conservatives through mass ritual satanic sacrifice ... and then go on to the big reveal - satanic cults are actually the front for an extraterrestrial mind control operation!

He knows too much! Someone call the Gnomes of Zurich and have them warm up the orbital mind control lasers.

Where can I get one of those? I bet it's going to become a valuable collector's item, because I'm sure they're going to change the design very quickly and make the originals as scarce as they can....

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary wants two

They did indeed mention they're changing the design. Better get one quick.

Ancient Shipwreck Yields 'Atlantis' Metal

http://www.newser.com/story/201028/ancient-shipwreck-yields-atlantis-metal.html

It was considered one of the most precious metals in ancient times—and Plato claimed it lined the temple of Poseidon on the legendary island of Atlantis—but this appears to be the first time anybody in modern times has actually found some orichalcum. Researchers in Sicily say a shipwreck from 2,600 years ago, not long before the time of Plato, has yielded 39 ingots of the mysterious metal, Discovery reports. Scholars have long debated the composition of the alloy mentioned in ancient writings, but testing has revealed the Sicily ingots to be a copper-zinc mix with small percentages of nickel, lead, and iron.

"Nothing similar has ever been found," says the superintendent of Sicily's Sea Office. "We knew orichalcum from ancient texts and a few ornamental objects." He tells the Giornale di Sicilia that the ingots were apparently bound for workshops in the town of Gela, probably coming from Greece or Asia Minor, when the ship transporting them sank. The find, he says, "opens prospects of great importance to the research and study of ancient routes of supply of metals in the ancient Mediterranean. ... It will provide us with precious information on Sicily's most ancient economic history." (Divers recently found a "holy grail" of shipwrecks.)