In other news...

tkdguy

Toll is up to 37, so... not necessarily?

Last I checked 2/3 of Port Arthur TX was under water.

Maybe not dead, but they'd still have a good chance of being under some kind of duress (lost home, hurt, etc.)

Hard to imagine too many Houstonians being untouched by all this.

Cop reassures woman "we only shoot black people"

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/8/31/16232880/georgia-police-cobb-county-video

On the one hand I get that the cop was trying to reassure her, saying anything to get her to comply so he wouldn't have to arrest her, and that he doesn't necessarily think it is more okay to shoot black people. (I kind of wish the woman had brought up that Australian woman in Minnesota)

Still, awful thing to say.

What bothers me is the sort of man they are defending (although I revere Joseph Smith as a Prophet of God, so I really have no cause to judge).. India is just now beginning to wake up to what a serious matter rape is, and this isn't helping. India is still a nation in cultural flux, and it is the Indians themselves and nobody else who will determine the direction it takes. Every nation has that right.

It's actually kind of impressive that they prosecuted a man with that kind of following in the first place, although it could have something to do with this being the straw that broke the camel's back since he's been previously accused of mocking Sikh and Hindu religious figures, murder and forced castration.  The Indian police are now claiming he signaled his followers to start the festivities by asking for a distinctive red bag be brought to him after his conviction and he and his inseparable companion his "adopted daughter" Honeypreet Insan stalled to get his followers time to rise up and possibly bust him free from custody.

And the more I hear about this story the more it sounds like he was a centimetre away from being a James Bond villain.  A female lieutenant named Honeypreet Insan?  

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/all-you-need-to-know-about-papas-angel-honeypreet-insan/articleshow/60271317.cms

Yes.

It is one of those things you cant explain, I guess.  But, at one point, I just got annoyed by her.

Though, it took a while to warm up to their family, as I remember their father was like a toned down mini-LaVar Ball early on in their careers (as in interfering, getting his nose into things, no one can be quite like LaVar, of course, even a 10th that bad would be near impossible)

(and their first few times they went at each other in tourney finals, the games seem to go like they flipped a coin before hand to decide outcome, and played it out later, but maybe they didn't like the idea of sibling rivalry.

IIRC not allowing their matches to cause friction between them was a high priority when they were both at the top of their game.  Venus has always seemed to be the more reserved of the two, while Serena makes less effort to avoid the limelight and sometimes models or speaks out on controversial topics.  I really haven't been following tennis for a while now, though; it seems like Serena's been there forever.

IIRC not allowing their matches to cause friction between them was a high priority when they were both at the top of their game.  Venus has always seemed to be the more reserved of the two, while Serena makes less effort to avoid the limelight and sometimes models or speaks out on controversial topics.  I really haven't been following tennis for a while now, though; it seems like Serena's been there forever.

Serena is in the conversation for greatest woman player of all time. She should certainly be mentioned in the same company as Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, players who dominated the sport in their prime. Women's tennis is more of a finesse game than that of the men, but Serena combines that finesse with awe-inspiring power.

Right now she could annihilate most of the men on the tour. Well, she could after she recovers from childbirth.

Yeah, I was thinking about that.  I do tend to gravitate more towards "reserved" sports figures who don't draw too much attention to themselves.

As far as the sibling rivalry thing,  I guess it is a little foreign to my nature.  Playing against a family member would seem to up the challenge factor for one rather than the reverse, at least it would for most I know.  (heck the chess matches between my dad and his bother-in-law reached intensities that became family legend.  And they were good friends.)

The H-E-B grocery chain in Texas has been making Herculean efforts to help people in Houston still have food in the aftermath of Harvey,

It's a brilliant, inspiring interview. And one quote struck me, for no apparent reason:

We sent 10 trucks of water over because the city water is tainted. It took 18 hours for a trip that would normally take 90 minutes. So we're contracting with Army troop carriers to get people through the high water. Then we said we'd use our corporate plane to get people over, but we couldn't do that today because President Trump is coming over. The airspace is closed.

Thanks a lot, Mr. President.