In other news...

tkdguy

They're stuck now. They've been having a tropical storm for a few hours already.

I found an article online about how Irma is really going to screw over (i.e. kill) poor people. Hard to evacuate your trailer with no car and no money.

It gets worse.

https://lawnewz.com/crazy/florida-sheriff-threatens-hurricane-irma-evacuees-seeking-shelter-with-jail-time/

And for people who don't live in America, the people getting I. D. Checked will mostly not be white.

Have you read Solnit's "A Paradise built in Hell"? One chapter was about Hurricane Katrina. Relatively few of the looters actually killed anyone. She did find evidence of People passing through white neighborhoods being shot on mere suspicion of being looters. Shot while still in the street, because CNN ran the most sensationalist stories of Mad Max violence happening among the poor left in the city. When refugees tried walking through rich suburbs to get to safety, they were presumed a threat.

Have you read Solnit's "A Paradise built in Hell"? One chapter was about Hurricane Katrina. Relatively few of the looters actually killed anyone. She did find evidence of People passing through white neighborhoods being shot on mere suspicion of being looters. Shot while still in the street, because CNN ran the most sensationalist stories of Mad Max violence happening among the poor left in the city. When refugees tried walking through rich suburbs to get to safety, they were presumed a threat.

When white people break into stores to get food and water and warm clothes and blankets, they're "foraging for survival".  When people of color do it, they're "looting". 

Well, one of my friends almost got his dumb self hung when we were little (8-9 years old).  While climbing trees, he had tied some rope to his waist that was also tied to the trip, then he slipped.  I managed to untie him.  My mother says when we came inside, that my face was the one that was completely pale.

After twenty years, the epochal Cassini mission to Saturn will end Friday.

EDIT: go to the "Raw images" page linked there, and you'll have the opportunity to "Download all (395,323)".

I demand that for the last minute of the decent the ground crew belts out the chorus of Jon Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" as hard as they can and posts the results.

Sports wise this happened on Sunday apart from the start of the NFL regular season. Christopher Froome won La Vuelta the Spanish version of the Tour de France making him only the third person to win the Tour de France and La Vuelta in the same year and the first since it was moved from early Spring to late August in 1995.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41218257

Sports wise this happened on Sunday apart from the start of the NFL regular season. Christopher Froome won La Vuelta the Spanish version of the Tour de France making him only the third person to win the Tour de France and La Vuelta in the same year and the first since it was moved from early Spring to late August in 1995.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41218257

Check him for doping!

I wonder if it is possible to complete the Tour de France, much less win it, without doping.

And in baseball (which is no stranger to doping scandals),  the Cleveland Indians are currently attempting to win their 21st consecutive game, which will give them the record for longest winning streak in the history of the American League.(which was founded in 1901 -- Cleveland was one of the original eight franchises). The National League record is held by the 1916 New York Giants of the National League, at 26.

Thing is, doping tech tends to be more advanced than the authorities' tech for detecting it. If he's doing something new that accrues an improper advantage, it will be a while before (1) it is generally recognized as improper and (2) reliable means of checking for it is devised.