In other news...

tkdguy

Well, to be fair, I am tolerable as long as no "living on a prayer" gets sung

Note: Evidently, the local rock station thinks, that and Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Scar Tissue" has to be the last song I hear on the way to work, at least once a week for both.

Note: ANd a 3rd day has to be taken up by Green Day. 

Hmm, heard a Green Day song, and Scar Tissue on the way to work today  while also being stuck behind a log truck going 15 MPH, someone hated me today.

If certain fringe climatologists are to be believed they'll have to settle for encores.

(Full disclosure: I do believe we've had an impact on the climate: Only a fool or a politician wouldn't. I don't believe that we've reached the tipping point where this season heralds the new normal for hurricane seasons to come.  Maybe I'm an optimist after all.)

Play-lynching 8-year-olds in New Hampshire in 2017 A.D.:

a5rpamg2pnsf0bavbto4.png

I read about this last week...   of course no information on the bastards released as they are under-aged...     

My rage level went up quite a bit...      I could easily see them getting preferential treatment.

I've always felt that if someone wants to park in handicapped zones that badly, the logical thing to do would be to make them qualify for it. I understand kneecaps are easy to damage.

The only reason I did not "like" this is that I disapprove of assault and battery in principle.   Though sometimes the temptation is very strong...

IN local news, a pot shop employee eating in his car was kidnapped and murdered last week.   In a TV news interview, the killer confessed and stated he was having a very bad day, and originally just went over to beat the guy up because he was disrespectful to him....  so he killed him and stole the car, dumped the body, then the car. 

I cannot even begin to understand the mindset.

THAT, imo, is a THUG.  I don't care what color, creed, or nationality someone is, if they think it is appropriate to assault, murder, rob, etc based on "being disrespectful" then they are a problem.  I know historically many of our upper crust would have dueled over kinds of disrespect, but...

I've always felt that if someone wants to park in handicapped zones that badly, the logical thing to do would be to make them qualify for it. I understand kneecaps are easy to damage.

I'm reminded of a comedian who said, "I saw a guy park in a handicapped space, he got out of his car and was perfectly fine.  I figured I'd make an honest man out of him... so I ran him over."  After the laughter died down, he added, "Then his 90 year-old grandmother got out of the car and started beating me over the head with her cane."

I'm also reminded of my brother, who got a ticket for parking in a handicapped space at the mall.  He was incredibly upset, telling our mom, "I limped all the way in and all around the mall!"  Mind you, he wasn't hurt at all, he just figured that faking a limp should be good enough to qualify for handicapped parking.

I didn't read any snark into DasBroot's statement at all.  I thought he was complaining about the dismissive attitude expressed by total strangers on the bus.

Needless to say it hasn't been a great year for disasters.  Magnitudes and death tolls aside, we're looking at hundreds of thousands of people out of power, out of work, out of homes.  Puerto Rico was already literally bankrupt and then they caught a Cat 4 hurricane in the teeth.  During an administration that is not exactly known for generous aid packages to anyone for any reason.

The 7.1 earthquake that hit near Mexico City has claimed over 200 lives. 225 was the last official count given, about four hours ago. They're still digging through rubble, so that number's bound to go up.

The bright spot (loosely speaking) is that Mexico City had just wrapped up a day of earthquake drills in remembrance of the last Mexico City earthquake disaster.  Undoubtedly that saved some lives.

Old Man, on 20 Sept 2017 - 6:01 PM, said:

I didn't read any snark into DasBroot's statement at all.  I thought he was complaining about the dismissive attitude expressed by total strangers on the bus.

I was. To these people, as well as many others I'm sure,  7.1 is less than 8.2 therefore 7.1 is not as bad.

This is only one factor of an earthquakes effects, but it's the one that pop culture has ingrained as being the most significant so its the one that people just reading headlines assign the most value to.

I just like people to try and look beyond the buzzwords before speaking (as difficult as it is in today's buzzword driven society): a fishing shack fire isn't as bad as a forest fire but you'd be hard pressed to convince the people trapped in the fishing shack of that.  

Or in other words...