In other news...

tkdguy

As Bill Maher said once “peolle woild rather wear a filter mask and eat worms than change the way they do things".

P.astic bags are choking the oceans. Peolle coild start using heavy reusable bags loke they do in europe but in america it's like "But that's a hassel. No."

Until the air gets so bad you have to wear a mask or coff yourself to death like in peking (yeah i know the chinese gogernment renamedmit. I hate the chinese goverment so i call it peking to spite them) peolle just won't change unless absolutely fprced to.

Until the air gets so bad you have to wear a mask or coff yourself to death like in peking (yeah i know the chinese gogernment renamedmit. I hate the chinese goverment so i call it peking to spite them) peolle just won't change unless absolutely fprced to.

Tangent which I will drop after this post: the change is not to the name but to the Romanization. Putting Chinese into Roman letters as opposed to their own script is a challenge because, like in any other language, the pronunciation is difficult to transfer. Beijung is closer to how the Chinese have always pronounced it. The city was referred to by Westerners as Peiping during the Nationalist era (where the capital had been moved to Nanking to the south) but that didn't last very long (and neither did the Nationalists). I suspect most of the residents of the city still called it Beijing.

Beijing is not a perfect Romanization, but it's a better one.

My parents are on the Panhandle side, so they're going to have some serious weather but should be OK. If the last map posted is accurate. I was looking at another map that showed a bunch of both US and EU models for the path that basically put the whole state in the path, depending on the starting assumptions for each model.

Equifax data breach the worst hack of personal information ever

Everyone needs to pay attention to this one.

1. 143 million people is the vast majority of Americans who have credit cards and/or loans.  Some UK and Canada residents were also exposed.

2. The hack exposed names, addresses, DOBs, SSNs, and driver's license numbers--more than enough information to open fraudulent accounts in your name.

3. Equifax executives sold their stock between the discovery of the breach and the public announcement.

4. Equifax's response to the breach has been pathetic at best.

5. There is almost nothing you can do to fix this.  Passwords can be changed; DOBs and SSNs, not so much.

6. When your identity is stolen because of Equifax's negligence, Equifax will be more than happy to destroy your credit rating.

This breach actually threatens the entire consumer finance sector.  Imagine if literally everyone had fraudulent credit cards opened in their name.

I wish we'd stuck with 'pollution bad' instead of switching to 'climate change.'..  it *worked*. We stopped using CFC and the ozone layer has mostly healed itself! That's pretty cool.

'Pollution bad' shares the same solutions but hasn't been turned into an 'us vs them' buzz topic - because it's more 'tangible'.  Far fewer people, no matter how 'fact resistant' humanity has become, can seriously look out their windows on the smoggiest day or look at trash floating in a harbour and say 'this is fine'.

Sigh.

Well, that is the thing, people can think small like that, and help on a local scale.  But, unfortunately, the scare tactics have been so overdone, that you have 2 choices A)Plain ignore it, and deny   B  Believe the world needs to get rid of 3 billion people by yesterday.  Or I should say I was A for a long time, because to hear climate change expert talk, I couldn't imagine anything less than B amounting to anything.   I do think the magnitude the global warming has been played has made people choose between deny or hopeless surrender

SO yeah I agree concentrating on "pollution" would have been the better play.  But, if global warming/climate change comes into play you need to keep the scare down enough to give people some sense of hope and control that they can change things (which I think people in the climate change community have done an awful job with)

Yep, the Mexico quake clinches it. Time to recap the past month or so

I see a bad moon a-rising
I see trouble on the way
I see earthquakes and lightnin'
I see bad times today
Don't go 'round tonight
It's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise

I hear hurricanes a-blowing
I know the end is coming soon
I fear rivers over flowing
I hear the voice of rage and ruin
Don't go 'round tonight

Oh don't go 'round tonight

1. 143 million people is the vast majority of Americans who have credit cards and/or loans.  Some UK and Canada residents were also exposed.

2. The hack exposed names, addresses, DOBs, SSNs, and driver's license numbers--more than enough information to open fraudulent accounts in your name.

3. Equifax executives sold their stock between the discovery of the breach and the public announcement.

5. There is almost nothing you can do to fix this.  Passwords can be changed; DOBs and SSNs, not so much.

6. When your identity is stolen because of Equifax's negligence, Equifax will be more than happy to destroy your credit rating.

This breach actually threatens the entire consumer finance sector.  Imagine if literally everyone had fraudulent credit cards opened in their name.

Oh crap!

More on this other disaster.  There are steps that can be taken:

1. Immediately get your free annual credit report(s) from annualcreditreport.com and check it for weird activity.

2. Consider putting a security freeze on your credit report data with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion .  Might cost $5-$10 each but it will prevent people from using your PII to apply for credit or open up a cell phone account.  It will cost more money to unlock.  Yes I hate the credit reporting agencies too.

3. Remember to file taxes as quickly as possible to prevent fraudsters from sniping your tax refund.  Or you could do what I do and screw up your personal finances so that you owe money to the government.

4. Equifax, impregnable bastion of internet security, is offering a whole year of complimentary ID theft protection and credit file monitoring to half-assedly make up for their epic fumble.  They claim that by using this feature you give up your right to sue them into oblivion, but the NY AG disputes the legality of this claim.

More news from this trainwreck as it becomes available.

National Weather Service is literally screaming in all caps on Twitter: "THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS--NOWHERE IN THE KEYS WILL BE SAFE"

This could end badly.

The comment I heard regarding Florida was this:

"Dr. Nature is about to circumcise America's wang"

Hang in there, Floridians, or better yet, get out if you can to say, Ohio.