In other news...

tkdguy

No doubt.  Dont know how much I agree the businesses "control" bureaucracy.  Bureaucracy is gonna obstruct, its their reason for existence (at least bureacrats think that, or at least it seems the more they obstruct the more they it justifies them having job security)

But, businesses dont seem to feel bad about shamelessly taking advantage like a wrestler when the ref is looking the other way. (and even at their cleanest, they can pay people solely for the purpose of dealing with bureaucrats, where smaller businesses don't have such a luxury.

Just read about this on the BBC website. Aside from the number of dead and injured what boggles the mind is opening fire at Country and Western music festival. Rock music and peace protests I would not be surprised at but C+W ?

I suspect it was a target of opportunity.

The thing is, the usual proposals to reduce shootings wouldn't have done anything for this case.

Have more people with Carrry and Conceal permits?  He was shooting from a high hotel room.  A few pistols on the ground would have done nothing.

More profiling?  He was a white senior citizen with no criminal record.  I'm unaware of any profile he fit.

Weapons restrictions?  He had 10 guns, enough to not need to reload. He wasn't using any full automatics or anything. I know lots of people with way more than that.

The thing is, the usual proposals to reduce shootings wouldn't have done anything for this case.

Have more people with Carrry and Conceal permits?  He was shooting from a high hotel room.  A few pistols on the ground would have done nothing.

More profiling?  He was a white senior citizen with no criminal record.  I'm unaware of any profile he fit.

Weapons restrictions?  He had 10 guns, enough to not need to reload. He wasn't using any full automatics or anything. I know lots of people with way more than that.

Well, considering the number of injuries, he reloaded many, many times.  A cap on magazine capacity might have slowed the pace of carnage, perhaps.  If he was bump firing a semi-auto rifle with a large mag capacity, the net effect would have been pretty similar to firing a full auto weapon.  

NV has very lax/permissive gun laws.  

Judging from the audio on some of the recordings, he was using a crank or a bump fire stock on an assault rifle with a drum mag. Reports say the firing continued for up to ten full minutes.

One average old white guy killed 58+ and injured 500+, from 1700 feet away, using (mostly) commercially available firearms.  Even if you're staunchly anti-gun control, that's pretty effing sobering.  

No argument there. Though in the 1966 event the police did not have the ability to get to the shooter. The Astronomy Department was in a building near the Tower, and the police used the dome of the telescope in that (3-storey, I think) building as shelter from which to pow at him with service revolvers, which were ineffective. Somewhat more than a dozen years later, I listened to people present at the time talk about that.