Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I think they're also sick of Spider-man in high school. I know I am. The comic has been published for 55 years, the character left high school a bit over two years into those 55 years. Let the man grow up for god's sake! Even Robin was allowed to grow up, why not Spider-man?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought little Chloe Moretz did pretty well with what little she had to work with.  Terrible movie, complete waste of talent.

The thing is I also had a bit of a crush on Nancy Barrett who played the part of Carolyn on TV in the 60s/70s. Although I'll admit that Chloe did the best she could. 

On the negative side Spider-man Homecoming only took in 22 million, That brings its total domestic box office a bit over $250 million with the vast majority of that coming in the first week.  No legs on this one.

It still beat out Planet of the Apes, which was only in its 2nd week. At it's already the 3rd highest-grossing movie so far this year (behind WW & GotG2) I don't think anyone at Sony or Marvel is crying too hard.

I do. They were expecting $500 million+ domestically. They'll be lucky if they get 400. And this is the first part of a trilogy. It's not good to under-perform right out of the gate.

I think they're quite disappointed.

I'm not sure where you got that number, but according to Wikipedia the only MCU movie to break $500M domestically was Avengers 1. Homecoming has already beaten out Dr. Strange ($233M) and is on track to beat Winter Soldier ($260M), both of which had similar budgets. It's overseas performance has been relatively low (which makes some sense - too much talking, not enough explosions) putting its worldwide gross so far in the bottom half of the MCU, but I don't know how many markets its opened in overseas and how all that works.

Comparing it to other Spidey films, it's already passed Amazing 2 ($202M) and in another week should pass up Amazing 1 ($262M). They've still got a ways to go before they catch up with the Tobey Maguire films, but even the first of those only cleared $400M domestically. Tho here again, its overseas performance is relatively weak so far.

And yes, while they're regarding it as the first in a trilogy, everybody else sees it as the fifth Spider Man movie in 15 years.

Basically what I'm saying is, if they were expecting to make $500M domestically, the problem was their expectations, not the film's performance.