Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I think they're also sick of Spider-man in high school. I know I am. The comic has been published for 55 years, the character left high school a bit over two years into those 55 years. Let the man grow up for god's sake! Even Robin was allowed to grow up, why not Spider-man?

Personally I agree with you. (Tho I thought Homecoming at least did a good job with that element of the character.) But I doubt that had much to do with its box office performance, particularly among non-comics fan. I think it's more that people have already seen 5 Spidey movies in the last 15 years, only two of which were any good, and they're just tired of the character and the constant reboots.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more that people have already seen 5 Spidey movies in the last 15 years, only two of which were any good, and they're just tired of the character and the constant reboots.

Yep, its Spidey burnout, driven particularly by how bad the last few have been.  Why risk 20 bucks or more a person just to find out if this one doesn't suck?  I really looked forward to the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film, it looked wonderful and it was.  But this one?  I can wait for Netflix.

As for Spidey as a high schooler, I think that's appealing personally.  It pushes him back into being every boy geek, the picked on nobody.  When he's out of school, he's just a loser in that role.  In school he's like a lot of comic book fans remember or are in school and it works.

Joe Russo: ‘Everything’ in the MCU Sets Up Avengers: Infinity War

http://screenrant.com/avenger-infinity-war-challenge-joe-russo/

Russo:

“Everything is setting up Infinity War. Every narrative that you have seen in any of the Marvel movies leading up to this point comes to bear in some way because all of the characters and all of the franchises are coming together, bringing their themes and their tone and the things that motivate the characters are driving them through this story. It has been the hardest part of the job for us, is melding all of that together, But thankfully, we got Markus and McFeely working with us. They are incredible collaborators. They wrote Winter Soldier for us, and Civil War. Now they’re writing both Avengers movies. I feel like we’ve got a great Vulcan mind meld between the two of them, and me and my brother.”

Tom Holland Responds to Kirsten Dunst’s Spider-Man Reboot Criticisms

http://screenrant.com/tom-holland-kirsten-dunsts-spider-man-reboot-criticisms/

Dunst:

“We made the best ones, so who cares? I’m like, “You make it all you want.” They’re just milking that cow for money. It’s so obvious. You know what I mean?’”

Holland:

“You know, she’s entitled to her own opinion and I’m not one to judge at all. I definitely am not doing this movie for the money. I mean, it’s a job that I think anyone would do regardless of what you were getting paid, you know? All I know is I had the greatest time on this movie and I absolutely loved it and, you know, if she doesn’t want to go and see it, I don’t really care. I don’t dislike her in any way for what she said and she’s entitled to her own opinion, so it’s all cool.”

I read that Sony has to make a Spider-Man film every 5 years (or so) or the rights revert to Marvel. So Kirsten has a point. 

I'm sure the same reasoning drives the otherwise bewildering decision by Fox to keep making Fantastic Four movies.

Of course. It is their property to do with as they wish. If it makes a profit. Good for the studio. Does it hurt the brand? Definitely. 

Brie Larson Aims To Honor Captain Marvel’s Legacy; Addresses Wonder Woman Comparisons

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/captain-marvel-brie-larson-wonder-woman/

Brie:

I may be getting ready, I may not be getting ready! Anything I say I feel is hyper analyzed. I mean, I feel pressure in that it’s a character that people love and are inspired by, and I see that, and so I want to do right by that. And I want people to feel like their character is honored.

Brie on so called pressure from Wonder Woman

Why is there pressure? I don’t understand why there’s pressure put on women as if it’s the most shocking concept ever that a woman can open a movie — it’s like, it’s kind of a tired concept. We’ve proven it for a long time, so I don’t put pressure on in that way at all.

Tom Holland Responds to Kirsten Dunst’s Spider-Man Reboot Criticisms

http://screenrant.com/tom-holland-kirsten-dunsts-spider-man-reboot-criticisms/

Dunst:

Holland:

I read that Sony has to make a Spider-Man film every 5 years (or so) or the rights revert to Marvel. So Kirsten has a point. 

Funniest thing to me about her commenting is she is considered (outside of Venom, though that may be personal) the weakest part of those movies.

okay here's a question

which is better?

The best Fantastic Four movie

or the worst Spider-man movie?

Hmmm...  well, the best Fantastic Four movie was, after all, The Incredibles, so I'd go with that as better.

1 demerit for Ensign Kirk for attempting to re-program the NO WIN simulation!

:)

HM

Brie Larson Aims To Honor Captain Marvel’s Legacy; Addresses Wonder Woman Comparisons:

I mean, I feel pressure in that it’s a character that people love and are inspired by, and I see that, and so I want to do right by that.

When she says "people" she must be referring to hardcore comics nerds. Because apart from them, nobody knows who Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel is.