Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one episode of Defenders left. I like it so far, but it has really pointed out how much more interesting a character Matt Murdoch is versus Danny Rand.

By far, the most compelling characters in Iron Fist were Ward and Dad Meachum. It's too bad they couldn't reappear here.

When you hear there's going to be a series about The Immortal Iron Fist, you don't expect to get The Ward Meachum Story. Marvel simply told the wrong story. Period. The fact that it had a very good actor playing (what should have been) a relatively minor secondary role does not change that one bit.

As far as the overall story, I enjoyed it. I still think the best character, in terms of classical character growth cycle, was Ward. He was a much more interesting character than Danny, which is part of the problem. Danny should have been the spotlight character....

When you hear there's going to be a series about The Immortal Iron Fist, you don't expect to get The Ward Meachum Story. Marvel simply told the wrong story. Period. The fact that it had a very good actor playing (what should have been) a relatively minor secondary role does not change that one bit.

I think we are in agreement there. :)

Funny thing about the series, Danny always came across as believing his martial prowess was what it is in the comic. Just the choreography didn't live up to it, and i will always wonder about that. Was it due to the Choreogropher, time or money that it came across that way.

I think It's the choreography combined with the fact that the actor himself has said that he fairly frequently didn't feel he was given enough time / takes to get it down. 

It's probably why he's a 'better' fighter in the Defenders - practice and a much higher demand on the choreography all around.

Problem with that is since it's the same choreography team and the actors are not martial artists outside of the show that he and Daredevil's fighting styles look the same and are performed at about the same level of competence - so there's not much to separate them besides brawler with a glowing fist and brawler with super hearing.  

I did like that Jessica basically sucked in every fight - contributing mostly with strategic sucker punches or making people who grabbed her have a very bad day (both very much in show-character)  - she's an actual untrained brawler with not much more than normal human durability in the show - so the 'Am I the only one left in the city who doesn't know Karate?' line held true.  Maybe Matt or Danny will give her a few pointers before Jessica Jones season 2 / Defenders season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I agree that the bright colors look better -- this is based on comic books, after all -- this palette is consistent with Hope van Dyne's personality as established in Ant Man. She wouldn't go for bright-and-flashy. Maybe she'll loosen up with time.

But can we agree Evangeline Lilly makes anything look good?

The big problem Marvel has is that it doesn't get branding in its films very well.  Spider-Man is incredibly distinctive and easy to remember; he's also someone you can cosplay, and sell pajamas patterned after.  Iron man, same deal.  Thor... kinda, and after that?  Which Cap suit do you wear, or will it be the new bland Nomad suit?  The trick to making a distinctive, memorable brand is having something people can identify with a glance.  They keep changing Spider-Man, but at least he's basically the same each time so it works with him.  The rest kind of disappear in a blend of rubber and leather suits.  That's just not smart or effective.

The X-Men are a good example of that. The first generation all wore the same navy-and-yellow uniforms, and so there was a single team identity, but the individual heroes did not stand out much (apart from one of them having wings, I suppose). Fast foward to the Byrne/Clairmont era when each member got a unique costume, and all of a sudden they became iconic. Even Wolverine with his "silly" yellow spandex became iconic. In fact, he's the most iconic of them all, yet the movies continue to deride that iconic look all in the name of "realism".

Ah, I didn't grok the fact that LL was referring to the movie, but it makes more sense that he was, now that you mention it.

I would like to see Hollywood reject the tedious cinematic stereotype that anything "serious" must be color-coded black (and/or with very, very dark colors). It is only because of this unimaginative encoding that Hope's no-nonsense demeanor gets shackled to a black costume. In my view, the more colorful costume is far more interesting, and no less appropriate/congruent for her personality than the ugly, new one.

The X-Men are a good example of that. The first generation all wore the same navy-and-yellow uniforms, and so there was a single team identity, but the individual heroes did not stand out much (apart from one of them having wings, I suppose). Fast foward to the Byrne/Clairmont era when each member got a unique costume, and all of a sudden they became iconic. Even Wolverine with his "silly" yellow spandex became iconic. In fact, he's the most iconic of them all, yet the movies continue to deride that iconic look all in the name of "realism".

We've been over this before, but I've stated earlier that the bright colors in four-color comics don't necessarily play well in live action.  (I suspect this is because backgrounds in four-color comics are also four-color.)  Even the "colorful" version of the Wasp costume pictured here is navy and gold, not blue! and yellow! 

I do agree that the black costume is excessively black, however.