Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Well, with DC greenlighting the New Gods, I'm not surprised Marvel would go with the Jack Kirby knock-off of his own creative work.

And for all my years of comic reading, I never really have grokked the Inhumans/Eternals connection and/or lack thereof. Something about the Kree running into the Eternals and that giving them the idea of experimenting and creating the Inhumans... gah.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eternal, never really fitted. They were shoe-horned in because of an editorial decision or something. An old GeoCities site called Sersi's Loft had (has) a good background on them and their relationship to the Marvel Universe. 

6 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah I have never understood where the Eternals fit into the Marvel Universe, exactly.  Marvel's cosmic/space stuff has always been really weird to me anyway, most of it was just a jumble of crazy stuff and images.

So, supposedly, depending on whatever retcon you want to follow, Thanos and the others from Titan ARE Eternals... they are offshoots of the original Eternals that were created by the Celestials. The Titanians and Uranians were colonies of Eternals who'd left Earth.

So, essentially, that means that Thanos is of "earthly origins" as well... (which is the classic "In all the wide universe, everything still centers around the Earth" kind of thing, which I always hated, but whatever...) So if Marvel is headed into the cosmic realm for Phase 4 and beyond (indications are...) then Eternals and Thanos play a big deal there.

But...James Gunn has complicated the Marvel Cosmic Cinematic Universe. 

Peter Quill is not the only MCU Guardian from Earth in the comics. Drax is too, as is Mantis. MCU Drax goes on about his family...so where does Heather fit in? 

MCU Ego was called a "celestial". Comics continuity has a race called the Celestials which excludes Ego as he is included in the Elders of the Universe. Plus in MCU, Knowhere is the head of a Celestial, and a previous user of the Power Stone is shown to be a Celestial. 

The original Guardians are now space pirates called Ravagers, rather than noble superheroes. 

No doubt, Adam Warlock will be noticeably different in any MCU adaption of the character. 

Honestly other than Adam Warlock, the cosmic stuff really isn't particularly what interests me in Marvel comics.  Its neat once in a while as a change of pace but a bunch of Guardians of the Galaxy stories just doesn't excite me like, say, Moon Knight or a properly done Fantastic Four.  But that's just me.

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

If they try again on Fantastic Four can they PLEASE do a proper Dr. Doom at some point?  Definitely not Ultimate Doom or evil businessman Doom.  I need smartest guy on Earth, powered armor, speaks in the 3rd person Doom.

Thank you.

Disney could always blend it into a musical as the Fantasticks Four.

13 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

To me, he looks about as close to Thanos as you're going to get with a live actor instead of a CGI one, costume and shade of purple notwithstanding.

ETA: Here he is in the armor and helmet, and it looks pretty true to the basic Thanos design to me:

Thanos.jpg

It's not going to be a perfect match, but that's not a bad translation from one medium to another. If someone handed you that pic ten years ago and said, "What character is that?", I think most of us would immediately identify it as Thanos.

Oh, totally. The problem is that I don't think MCU Thanos will spend that much time in his armor, which means he'll spend more time out of his armor in one movie than he did in his all of his comic book appearances combined. To me that says the creative team for this movie doesn't like the look of Thanos in armor, no matter how badass it might look to us.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Starjammers?  Or one of my favorites, Strikeforce: Morituri?

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

Starjammers i believe would be a Fox property, so might have to wait. 

Starjammers are unlikely for MCU transition IMO. Too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Strikeforce Morituri would almost certainly need its own continuity outside the MCU. I doubt Marvel Studios will go that route any time soon. But they've surprised us before.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Starjammers are unlikely for MCU transition IMO. Too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Strikeforce Morituri would almost certainly need its own continuity outside the MCU. I doubt Marvel Studios will go that route any time soon. But they've surprised us before.

I did some quick googling and S:M at least has some serious ownership questions around it, so it's not going to happen.

I've noticed that She-Hulk is also conspicuously absent from the MCU. 

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Oh, totally. The problem is that I don't think MCU Thanos will spend that much time in his armor, which means he'll spend more time out of his armor in one movie than he did in his all of his comic book appearances combined. To me that says the creative team for this movie doesn't like the look of Thanos in armor, no matter how badass it might look to us.

Agreed on this point. When I look at helmetless Thanos, I can't stop thinking about that Homer Simpson photomanip of him.

59 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I've noticed that She-Hulk is also conspicuously absent from the MCU. 

Apparently, Universal and Marvel don't play that well together and Universal still technically has the Hulk franchise stuff. The last Hulk solo movie was a joint venture between the two companies, and it seems like they've leased his appearances in team movies back from Universal, but the rights to all the ancillary characters are probably tied up still.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

If they try again on Fantastic Four can they PLEASE do a proper Dr. Doom at some point?  Definitely not Ultimate Doom or evil businessman Doom.  I need smartest guy on Earth, powered armor, speaks in the 3rd person Doom.

Thank you.

You and me both, pal! the Fox attempts at Doom were quite frankly abominations.

And I'm not talking about Blonski!

I know that companies make questionable decisions in times of desperation, but I'm a little surprised that the courts even allow a contract to exist that grants licensing rights in perpetuity. As long as Universal, Sony, or Fox continue to "re-up" whenever their respective renewal periods come around, they can hang onto the exclusive rights to a property even if they never make use of those rights. That's just messed up.

As long as Universal, Sony, or Fox continue to "re-up" whenever their respective renewal periods come around, they can hang onto the exclusive rights to a property even if they never make use of those rights.

They have to keep using the property, which is why they keep making crappy Fantastic Four movies.  Well that, and the vain hope they can capture that lightning in a bottle.

If I did a FF movie it would be Mole Man, to be honest.  Keep Doom for the sequel, intro him slightly (Reed's old college buddy who went bad) but in the background.  Maybe a teaser after the end credits.

I'm inclined to think that neither Bucky or Sam will pick up Cap's shield. 

AIW writers & directors have talked about another character similar to Steve. So I can't see Marvel having two. 

It still could happen, but I feel very unlikely.