Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. I would add RDJ as Iron Man and BC as Doctor Strange to that as well. 

And so does Kevin Feige, according to that article. ;)

It pleases me to no end that this interpretation of Captain America has been so embraced by the viewing public, because it puts the lie to the notion that contemporary audiences are only interested in superheroes who are brooding and tortured and ruthless. Steve Rogers in these movies has certainly borne more than his share of pain, and has faced great ethical dilemmas; but his honor, selflessness, and idealism have never wavered. And people clearly respond to that.

It took a little while for Chris Evans to grow into conveying that, but by this point I agree that he nails it.

And so does Kevin Feige, according to that article. ;)

Yes and no. :)

Yes that Feige can't imagine anyone else playing Tony, or Steve. It would be putting words in Feige's mouth to suggest that RDJr is equal to "Chris Reeve as Superman as the gold standard". I'd guess the answer would be yes, but Feige didn't specific say that. Nor was Benedict Cumberbatch was mentioned as performing at that gold standard. 

​That's why i posted it the way I did. I quoted Feige and then extended that with my opinion. :) 

PS: I quite like his comments about the Captain Marvel project. He seems very enthused by it. 

From the AV Club: The Marvel movies won’t get to use Doctor Doom anytime soon.

Mostly just quotes the same Feige interview Bazza posted above, but I liked this observation:

So, we’re probably going to be stuck with more Marvel villains who are just evil reflections of the hero, and Fox is just going to keep rebooting the Fantastic Four series so it never loses the rights.

They're not wrong that what the MCU needs is more & better villains.

It's been reported that Angela Basset is going to be T'Challa's mom. That's great news! But I still feel she should have been cast as Storm in the original X-Men movies. Such a wasted opportunity to Get It Right back then.

I recall reading that Bassett was originally offered the part and turned it down, so 20th Century Fox and Bryan Singer apparently agreed with you (as do I). I suspect they also thought they'd be getting the Halle Berry from Introducing Dorothy Dandridge rather than the one who would go on to star in Swordfish and Catwoman.

RDJ is the only standard we have in cinema. There are no others to compare to, and with which to establish a hierarchy of quality for portraying Tony Stark on film.

I base much of my judgment on the acting job required of RDJ to portray Iron Man on the fact that I'm unable to spot any differences of personality when he does out of character interviews.

I base much of my judgment on the acting job required of RDJ to portray Iron Man on the fact that I'm unable to spot any differences of personality when he does out of character interviews.

Overall personality wise, I agree with you. But the recent Civil War movie took Tony Stark to emotional places we haven't seen before, and displayed much more of RDJ's range and depth as an actor.

• 2 weeks later...