Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rich kid returns" is modern version of The Hero's Journey, and has hallmarks of a Bildungsroman, except for the age thing.

I think there's also the issue that we like to see rich characters because they're glamorous and can afford cool toys and can travel to cool places where they can look cool and glamorous. Plus, in the words of PS238's The Revenant: "Access to large amounts of cash is the greatest superpower of all."

But we don't necessarily like rich kids, because we associate that with being spoiled and having everything handed to you. So having someone who was born rich, but raised poor, struggled etc, and then had a big company handed to them lets you have it both ways.

Wow, I really wish they hadn't done the "Rich kid leaves and suddenly reappears to run his company" story.  Again.  This is getting to be more of a cliche than The Chosen One.

It is good to see Mantis though.  I wonder how they're going to depict her fighting skills because she is insanely capable.

Mantis is in GOTG2.  The asian woman in Iron Fist is Colleen Wing, I believe.

I think there's also the issue that we like to see rich characters because they're glamorous and can afford cool toys and can travel to cool places where they can look cool and glamorous. Plus, in the words of PS238's The Revenant: "Access to large amounts of cash is the greatest superpower of all."

But we don't necessarily like rich kids, because we associate that with being spoiled and having everything handed to you. So having someone who was born rich, but raised poor, struggled etc, and then had a big company handed to them lets you have it both ways.

This is a very good point. Best of both worlds...from a tropes kind of thing

Wow, I really wish they hadn't done the "Rich kid leaves and suddenly reappears to run his company" story. Again.

It is good to see Mantis though. I wonder how they're going to depict her fighting skills because she is insanely capable.

Yeah, she totally is. Grandmaster Martial Artist who has stood toe to toe with Captain America & Thor and won. I hope she's not just the plucky comic relief. Cool character, with weird powers.

Totally on board with this since Thanos first made his surprise appearance at the end of Avengers.

No cinematic series has been so grand, so epic, so visionary. What Marvel did 10 years ago was unprecedented, to tie is individual film series together and now it all sets to pay off. Basically all the fan favourites are back, IN ONE MOVIE! Tony, Bruce, Thor, Steve, Natasha, Clint, Nick Fury, Rhoady (maybe), Bucky, Sam Wilson, Wanda, Vision, Scott Lang, T'Challa, Sharon Carter (unlikely), Stephen Strange, Peter Parker, Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, Baby Groot...and more.

This film is worthy. ( :snicker: )

It will be interesting to see if there is any dip in audience interest or box office performance after phase 3 is over. It seems to me there will be a huge sense of, "Okay, what now?" lingering over the franchise. Yeah, I know that they're continually introducing new characters in an effort to keep the train running, but will characters like Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Capt. Marvel have the same audience pull as the original Avengers? I guess only time will tell. But following up on the success of phases 1-3 will be a tall order. That will be the true test of their genius, I think.

They've busted out all their A-List characters, now its a question if they can get the rest to be exciting.  I mean, nobody has done the Fantastic Four right, and I'd argue the X-Men could be done much better, but those are out of their stable for now because of poor decision making early on.

Are they A-list characters? I remember when they started this up, people were saying that their A-list characters were all leased out and that they were having to work with the b-listers like Iron Man and Hulk instead.

Regardless, I think they've shown with the Netflix series that they can do just fine with relatively unknown characters like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

At this point, "Marvel" is the only star they need.

Are they A-list characters? I remember when they started this up, people were saying that their A-list characters were all leased out and that they were having to work with the b-listers like Iron Man and Hulk instead.

Regardless, I think they've shown with the Netflix series that they can do just fine with relatively unknown characters like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

At this point, "Marvel" is the only star they need.

Yeah, Iron Man was not exactly a household name for the mainstream public before the movie.

There's a difference between what comics fans would categorize as "B-list" characters, versus movie fans. Even for Marvel movie fans, the first is only a small subset of the second. Very few comics readers would have categorized Thor, or Black Panther, or Dr. Strange as B-listers; but before their movies they had little recognition among the wider viewing public.

A really good Marvel movie can turn almost any of their characters into A-listers. Look at the Guardians of the Galaxy, for heaven's sake. Even for comics fans they were a marginal title -- now Rocket Racoon is almost as recognized as Mickey Mouse.

In terms of household names prior to 1998, Marvel really only had Spider-Man. Maybe you could put Hulk and Capt. America on that list (Hulk because of the tv show, and Cap because, well, everyone knows Capt. America). Sony has/had the rights to Spider-Man tied up, so that left Marvel with the original Avengers to pull from as their marquee characters: Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Capt. America. Those are Marvel's A-listers from the comics, and so it naturally follows that they would become their A-listers for the movies.

A really good Marvel movie can turn almost any of their characters into A-listers. Look at the Guardians of the Galaxy, for heaven's sake. Even for comics fans they were a marginal title -- now Rocket Racoon is almost as recognized as Mickey Mouse.

Agree completely.

Bear in mind that so far Marvel has succeeded with the first of each thing they introduced. The first Avengers line-up. The first space opera sub-franchise. The first Netflix team. What typically happens is that audiences get stuck on the "originals" and tend to look less favorably on the second-stringers. The follow-on characters/franchises. It is hard for a lot of folks to transfer their loyalties over to another character (or set of characters). So the big question standing before Marvel is whether or not they can achieve significant audience transfer from the first set of characters to the next.