Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post phase three is indeed going to be interesting.

Maybe, and I am just throwing ideas out here, they should pick a new character they can use as a seed for the next generation. Have a (fairly) clean break. Keep one or two characters from Phases 1-3 to bridge the gap. Captain America seems like an obvious choice here. Cap helps the transition/training of a new generation of Avengers, including, for instance Cap. Marvel. Marvel could then become the core around whom a new generation of Avengers forms. She has connections to the Kree and the Kree make potentially good, galactic scale villains. Bonus in that the audience is already familiar with them. <Thinks> But the best Kree villain is already dead. So maybe not the Kree.

In an interview Paul Rudd also said something about keeping Ant Man in his own little corner of the Marvel CU. Not engaging too heavily with the main universe. This could work for a bunch of characters. Indeed it already is happening with the portioning off of certain characters to other producers, like Daredevil and co. being produced by HBO (or is that Netflix?) Point being this would allow characters to do their own thing. It's less epic but better from the point of view of developing characters.

I would like to see a Submariner movie. He's a jerk, but he's got a heart of gold. No, wait... he's just a jerk. But I'd like to see that. I like a good anti-hero*. And given his reluctance to deal with dirty "surfacers" he's a prime candidate for (mostly) keeping to his own little corner.

* I also like a good Anty hero. Looking at you Scott Lang.

I'd like that. But it would play havoc with the established CU history.

It wouldn't necessarily have to, depending on how they played it.  If they were a covert group, only Cap getting the press.  Granted a flying, flaming man is tough to cover up, but this was before the omnipresent camera and the war department was good at censoring anything that they didn't want out.

I think the Chris Evans/Steve Rogers version of Capt. America will be retired in Phase 3. Whether that means he dies or not remains to be seen. But it is known that Chris Evans' contract expires after Phase 3, and that Sebastien Stan's contract is for something like 9 films total. Hence, speculation is that if there's to be a Capt. America in Phase 4 at all, it is the Winter Soldier (Bucky) who will most likely transition into becoming him. This is all speculation, of course, but it's the theory that seems to best fit the facts we have so far.

Re: Namor - I'd love to see the Submariner in the MCU too, but I don't think there'll be any movement towards that unless DC hits it really big with Momoa's Aquaman and Marvel suddenly feels the desperate need to compete in that space. Still, I really wish Marvel would pry the FF rights out of Fox's lukewarm hands post-haste.

Universal has the rights to Namor. He's not part of Fox's FF package.

Unfortunately Universal doesn't seem to have a "use it or lose it" clause, so they have Subby until they choose to give him up.

As far as the FF are concerned, I just want Doom back so Marvel can finally do him right!! Lord knows Fox has screwed the pooch every shot they've taken. Feige can't possibly do any worse. And let's be honest Victor Von Doom is Marvel's number one villain. 

Just did a little research re. Submariner movie rights. The linked articles are old-ish (2014, 2015, and 2016 respectively) and things could have changed.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/kevin-feige-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-avengers-the-sub-mariner

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/74172/20150805/your-guide-to-which-movie-studios-own-marvel-characters.htm

http://www.popculthq.com/2016/02/12/marvel-comic-characters-which-movie-studios-own-who/#jp-carousel-24213

The short answer is Namor is currently owned by Universal. A movie is possible. It seems there were/are discussions being held to clear Submariner for Marvel to re-acquire the rights.

BUT the discussions are complex and the situation is a mess, so don't go holding you breath. (cos he's an under water hero. Get it?)

EDIT: beaten to the punch.

Exactly.  Marvel villains have generally been lacking.  Doom and Magneto are exceptions, and Spider-Man's adversaries hold up well.  I might throw in Dark Phoenix and Sabretooth.  But DC has the really iconic bad guys--Zod, Darkseid, Luthor, Sinestro, Joker, Harley, Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face. Flash's entire rogues' gallery.  You know it's true when Marvel resorts to having its characters fight each other because there are no interesting villains.

You know it's true when Marvel resorts to having its characters fight each other because there are no interesting villains.

*chuckle*

You did watch the video I posted a few days back on Infinity War's first day of filming, right?

Civil War was always planned as a prequel to Infinity War BECAUSE of a villain.

@ Christopher Taylor.

I think Loki has always had a significant place in Marvel canon. He is the guy who inspired the Avengers after all. And I would like to humbly submit his incarnation in Walt Simonson's run on Thor as being a pretty interesting villain. For all I know that may be the first time he was more than a cackling, teeth gnashing mad man but he has certainly been an interesting character since then.

@OldMan

From that list of DC villains you submitted the only one I think is of any interest is Sinestro. I like a good fallen paladin. And I like the Green Lanterns in general.

I do like Magneto. He has my number three villain spot. Mags might be higher on my list but I find his adversaries sadly lacking. (Not all of the X-Men. But most of them.) I agree Spidey has a great rogues' gallery but none quite of the caliber of Loki, Doom or Magneto.

@Bazza.

Yep. Thanos is just more interesting.

I think the Marvel Universe will flame out after phase 3.  Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans will be done.  I don't know about Hemsworth.  I'm sure they've got a phase 4 in mind, but I don't think Winter Soldier and Vision can carry their own movies.  I mean, it's been a hell of a run, they'll have done something like 25 different movies by the end of it.  But eventually people are going to get comic book movie fatigue.