Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or of sensible budgeting.  Took the fam to a matinee yesterday--$44 for the tickets and another $50 because my wife can't control herself at the concession.  I pay less than that for Netflix and internet and electricity for an entire month.  Jesus.

Then again it did get her to shut up for two hours, Netflix can't do that.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, Old Man said:

Or of sensible budgeting.  Took the fam to a matinee yesterday--$44 for the tickets and another $50 because my wife can't control herself at the concession.  I pay less than that for Netflix and internet and electricity for an entire month.  Jesus.

Then again it did get her to shut up for two hours, Netflix can't do that.

How is your electric bill less than $100 for the entire month?

2 hours ago, massey said:

How is your electric bill less than $100 for the entire month?

I meant the electricity for the TV, not my overall electric bill (which is around $250 a month nowadays).  Although I suppose I don't really know how many electrons my TV burns.  Perhaps it is responsible for $240 of that.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I meant the electricity for the TV, not my overall electric bill (which is around $250 a month nowadays).  Although I suppose I don't really know how many electrons my TV burns.  Perhaps it is responsible for $240 of that.

My overall electric bill is only about $50 a month. Except during the Summer, when it jumps to around $75 or $80 from running the A/C.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I live in the most expensive state for utilities costs. And that’s with a heating bill of zero. 

$600 is a lot, though. You could try turning the vacuum cleaner off for a day or two. 

I live in a big, old house, with single pane windows.  And 100 degree summers.

6 minutes ago, Greywind said:

I've heard aluminum foil works.

But then the orbital mind control lasers don't work as well.

I'm on budget billing, and mine was recently dropped to $130/month. The real bill this month was $90, and the cooler months offset the cost of the more expensive months.

3 hours ago, Greywind said:

I've heard aluminum foil works.

I use aluminum foil on several windows with a southern exposure. On glass doors with a western exposure in a room we use for storage, I use foil to supplement the built-in blinds which don't seem to cut the heat at all when used alone.

Some cats do like the sound and feel of aluminum foil so don't be shocked if the cat completely shreds your 45 seconds of hard work and makes you start all over again.

I use blackout curtains on the windows on the west side. They work at least as well as the foil and look better to passing motorists. :)

If you want something a little more upscale, you can buy sheets of the sturdy foily stuff like they make car sunscreens from and cut it to fit the size of any window, whether home, car, or RV. I've done that to fit the side windows of the car for when we've had to stay a few hours at roadside rest stops.