How would you build a tracking device?

TheDarkness

As the question.

I'm assuming, two foci, one the the tracker, one the scanner that allows you to find it.

Tracker has image(radio waves, limited to a single frequency, bought to the range you want), perhaps a limited battery life.

The other, enhanced senses(radio, limited to only the frequency of the tracker).

These are great ideas and solutions, but I was talking about a gun in another thread where it could fire a special tracer-round... How would people build that?

Currently I have it figured out as: Blast 4D6 (PD from being out of gun), Linked > Blast 1D6 (PD), Stun Only, Unison Power > Enhanced Senses Radio, Fuel Charge, Unison Power

These are great ideas and solutions, but I was talking about a gun in another thread where it could fire a special tracer-round... How would people build that?

Currently I have it figured out as: Blast 4D6 (PD from being out of gun), Linked > Blast 1D6 (PD), Stun Only, Unison Power > Enhanced Senses Radio, Fuel Charge, Unison Power

Apparently I misunderstood. So you want it to cause damage? Is it a subcutaneous tracker?

High Range Radio Receive/Transmit (12), Usable Against One Recipient (+1/4), Unwilling (+1), Grantor Controls Power (+1/2), At Range (+1/2), Recipient Must Be within Standard Range when Power is Granted (+1/2), Can Only Grant the Power to Others (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), 2 charges (-1 1/2) (45 Active, 13 real points)

Now he transmits to you, and the cost is not unreasonable. 2 charges so you can keep it in your gadget pool and switch it out after the tracker is applied without losing those points in your pool.

The way I've done this has been:  

Bug:  Detect Current Location -- Latitude And Longitude (radio, passive), IIF (bug), possibly RSR (Bugging), Only With Clairsentience  plus

Scanner:  Clairsentience (radio) with Bug, Mobile Perception Point, Limited To Target's Movement (-1/2), OAF (scanner), Requires Prior Planting Of Bug (-1/4).  

All the bug does is determine where it currently is.  The Clairsentience allows the character to always have access to that information.  The combination of Mobile Perception Point and Limited To Target's Movement means it moves with the target, regardless of how fast the target moves.  

you know, I am thinking that the bug itself, depending on whether you want it to be mundane or special, might not need any build at all.  What is necessary is the ability to detect it.

So essentially you have a small transmitter that anyone with the right receiver equipment can "hear" and locate. That transmitter is a focus for your detect (and indeed what you actually detect!).  You can pick them up in any large city.

Or you might have an exotic transmitter that only the hero can detect.  That is a focus combined with a particular number of recoverable charges (the number of bugs available at any one time).  

I have thoughts that the bug delivery system is likely to be a minor transform.  You essentially transform a target from the target to a bugged target.  :-)  That provides you with the mechanism to get it there - invisible effects if you want to do it surreptitiously. was wondering if the transform should be against DEX or DCV to reflect the most appropriate defence against being tagged...

Doc 

The way I've done this has been:  

Bug:  Detect Current Location -- Latitude And Longitude (radio, passive), IIF (bug), possibly RSR (Bugging), Only With Clairsentience  plus

Scanner:  Clairsentience (radio) with Bug, Mobile Perception Point, Limited To Target's Movement (-1/2), OAF (scanner), Requires Prior Planting Of Bug (-1/4).  

All the bug does is determine where it currently is.  The Clairsentience allows the character to always have access to that information.  The combination of Mobile Perception Point and Limited To Target's Movement means it moves with the target, regardless of how fast the target moves.  

That's not how Mobile Perception Point works. It only moves at 12m and you pay +5/2x after that. It most definitely doesn't rate a limitation.

That's not how Mobile Perception Point works. It only moves at 12m and you pay +5/2x after that. It most definitely doesn't rate a limitation.

I was basing the -1/2 value on "Only Through The Senses Of Others", which, when applied in conjunction with Mobile Perception Point, does do exactly that: lets the mobile perception point move at the target's velocity regardless of how high that is.  

Only Through the Senses Of Other is generally a Limitation because you are stuck perceiving what they perceive where ever they go even if it's not what or where you want to be perceiving.

But with a tracking device where they go is explicitly the thing you do want to perceive, so I'm not sure that's worth a Limitation.

I always built it as an IMages vs. Radio with a radius equal to the range of the bug.  The power has Set Effect creating the radio equivalent of filling the area with neon arrows all pointing at the bug.

Anyone with Radio Perception and access to the frequency can get a "This way!! This way!!" signal.

• 7 years later...
On 10/29/2015 at 3:16 PM, Balabanto said:

High Range Radio Receive/Transmit (12), Usable Against One Recipient (+1/4), Unwilling (+1), Grantor Controls Power (+1/2), At Range (+1/2), Recipient Must Be within Standard Range when Power is Granted (+1/2), Can Only Grant the Power to Others (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), 2 charges (-1 1/2) (45 Active, 13 real points)

Now he transmits to you, and the cost is not unreasonable. 2 charges so you can keep it in your gadget pool and switch it out after the tracker is applied without losing those points in your pool.

This was completely overlooked by everyone. This is a masterpiece of power building. Kudos!

Simply buy it as a detect “bugging device”.  Make it part of the Radio sense group so it gets sense and range for free.  Add on increased arc of perception (360 degrees), penetrative, and telescopic (+8).  That works out to be 22 points.  You may need to adjust the telescopic or add megascale depending on how far the bug transmits.  Add appropriate limitations such as focus based on how you want it to work.

If you are firing it from a gun buy the attack for the gun and define the target to be those shot with the gun.   

Edited by LoneWolf

You guys are all under thinking this.

Try this:

Major Transform: from normal,but to guy who's location shows up on certain detection devices.

Then you gadgeteer can find a couole of old radios and a Mattel Electronic Football game, use Shapeshift: usuable as attack against these gadgets to turn them into appropriate detection devices.

I mean, it's so _obvious_.....

;)

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

We have To figure out how to squeeze Desoldification in there so we can get the entire Trifecta of Cobble....,

:lol:

Nonononono.....the trifecta of cobble is apples, cinnamon, and a streusel-nut topping.  (Along with a bit of lemon juice and sugar.)

.............altho mixed berries can make for a lovely replacement for the apples.  And a touch of five spice along with the cinnamon.......