SyFy and horror movie monsters

dsatow

My game will be about a group of super teens heading off to spring break on an island with a camp, amusement park, beach, etc.  I am planning there will be a lot of geek fandom horror movie spots on the island with the SyFy monsters providing the big challenges.

I have a few ideas for my Dundracon game about what SyFy Monsters will appear, but what are people favorites?

In case people are wondering: 

403 Summer of SyFy

Saturday 6 PM in 160 for 8 hours
Room Map
GM: Don Satow 
Type: RPG
System: Hero 6th ed.
Edition: 6th
Players: 6
Provided: Characters may be provided by GM
Power Level: 9d6, 8 CV, 5 Spd (5th ed chars ok; no Find Weakness)
Variations: Teen Champions
Rules Knowledge: Useful
Game Content: Mainstream

It's Summer Break! Time for a break for teen supers at the beach. Everyone's headed to the Amity Island for the amusement park, bikinis and Camp Crystal Lake.

As you refuel your vehicle at the last gas stop before Amity Island, an old man warns of impending doom. The new amusement park and camp are built on lands said to be cursed by the local indians. A group of teens and their great dane, also heading to the island, say it's all poppycock. They are headed to the island for the hot dog eating contest and the beach. As the teens finish filling up their green van, they wish the heroes well and head off. The old man maintains, the island is cursed. As if in response, the weather report on the radio reports unusual weather activity off the coast...

Be prepared to meet up with some of SyFy's biggest stars in a mix of monsters and summer horror movie madness.

At least one of the suggestions above is scheduled to appear.

Both monsters big and human sized will be seen, though not Godzilla.  I'm doing more SyFy monsters, as when a year or two ago SyFy went movie monster of the week crazy. 

A couple of classics (dracula, wolfman, frankenstein) may appear but may be in a slightly updated form.

Anything having to do with Mad Science--Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, and other such geniuses.

Yeah, you've got to have the Universal Pictures monsters - Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, the Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Phantom of the Opera.  

Then there's the Slasher Flick monsters, Freddy, Jason, Michael, and Leatherface.  

And Zombies, lots & lots of Romero zombies.  

Wasn't there one about a super intelligent pet rat that ended up controlling the rat population?

Also, if some horses ended up dying, and there's a little girl who never sleeps, the characters could regret freeing her from the loft of her evil adopted father.

What was that recent Irish movie about alien tentacled beings that attack an island, and the inhabitants figure out that they can't stomach alcohol?

If you're allowing big monsters, but no Godzilla, a more sci-fi alternative would be the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

How about some of THEM, i.e. giant ants?

Keeping with the insect theme for a moment, there's The Fly -- not the Jeff Goldblum remake, but the original with Vincent Price (and its more monster-y sequel, Return of the Fly).