DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it made enough to get a sequel, oddly enough.

They all do; that's part of the problem. Their movies get critically panned (except WW) and us fanboys bitch about them online, and they don't make quite as much money as they'd hoped...but they still pull in an average of $775M. So while it may seem obvious to us that they need to change their focus, it may not be as obvious to the people who sign the checks.

At the risk of upsetting the Diana Rigg/Emma Peel fans here I have to say that I always preferred Honor Blackman's Cathy Gale when it came to  ":Avengers "girls.  (I like Emma and Purdey too, but Cathy was THE original kick ass, leather clad avenger)

Yes, she certainly did rock those leather outfits.

Suicide Squad was uninteresting largely due to its utter lack of character development. Every character came out of the experience exactly the same as they went in. And the movie did nothing to make you care about them. The lack of agency didn't help matters either ("Do what we say or your head explodes."). I mean, basically, that screenplay was a textbook example of how not to write one.

Suicide Squad has a host of problems, none of which the screenwriters seemed able or interested in addressing.

How do you make people root for the bad guys?  How do you introduce 10 new characters almost nobody but hard core comic geeks even know?  (and some I didn't know and I loved the Suicide Squad comic).  How do you believably make the bad guys fight the enemy?  How do you control these people with all these powers?

This was like... the 3rd film in the series, but shown as the first.  They should have started small with few characters, introduce the concept and characters with a smaller story, and focused on who they are and why this exists, how they make it work, etc.  Instead they went with the big story as if this was all established long ago like a long-running popular TV series that they then were doing a film about.

Just have Harley, Deadshot, Enchantress, and maybe Captain Boomerang for comedy relief.  Don't cast Will Smith as Deadshot, he was all wrong for the character.  Don't have one of the team be the villain; there's no emotional power or sense of betrayal the way it was done.  There was no sense of anything, none of it connected at any level.

Tell a small story like stopping an assassination or something.  Have the bulk of the film be "here's the characters, here's their relationships, and here's how the Suicide Squad works."  You could even have a longer section on how they were caught.

Then when you do the next movie, add in more bad guys, and Enchantress can go crazy because people know who she is and care about the character and her relationship with Flagg.  Such a horrible mess.  All it really had going for it was hawt Harley in her naughty daddy shirt and pigtails.

Holly Holm (Current whateverweight Women's UFC Champion, beat Rousey like a red-headed step child) when she's cut:

Holly-Holm-FB-2.jpg

Holy Holm when she's not fighting or promoting:

holly-holm.png

Oh my god! Suddenly, she's not buff enough to be a boxing and MMA champion! What's that all about?

Just body fat percentage. She still has enough muscle to KO another pro fighter.

Here's a collage of Gadot:

10906342_681046532012301_554330682355079

Holm is 5'8" to Gadot's 5'10", so Gadot's showing a similar level of muscle mass.

Given that WW is a fighter and not a body builder and that her powers aren't dependent on muscle mass, I'd say Gadot's doing OK. It's simply not easy for women to put on mass. Gadot looks athletic enough to be a female fighter, and that's about all we can expect, unless we want some stunt casting of a strength athlete who has abnormal muscle mass but can't act.

So they got another shorty to play "Wonder Woman" ? 5ft 10" is six inches shorter than Wonder Woman is supposed to be (according to "the D C Comics Encyclopedia").