DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Yeah OHMSS is really underappreciated, its quite good.  Lazenby was terrific in the role, he could have been the next Sean Connery but decided he wanted to become a hippie.  As he put it: you couldn't get laid as easily playing a straight laced guy in a suit.  So he detonated his career.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service was the closest iteration of any of the books.

From Russia With Love is quite faithful as well, as movie adaptations go.  Also one of the best, in fact in my opinion THE best Bond film.

Yes well :)  Fleming was giving up on his creation at that point, it wasn't catching on like he'd hoped... until that book and suddenly it exploded.  Lesson to authors out there: keep pluggin' away.  You never know. 

Richard Castle killed Derrick Storm. Caught flak from Stephen J. Cannell for it. Then he created Nikki Heat based off of Kate Beckett.

The lesson for Marvel from this digression: Give us villains in your movies as good as James Bond's! :tsk:

It would be interesting to research to what degree Emma Peel influenced the depiction of the Black Widow. (Cue attempt to get back on-topic.) :P

But... this is the DC thread...

This is the DC thread in OUR universe. We're just getting cross posts from LL in the Hero Boards AU.

But they threw him off a building in his first appearance.

Yeah that was a serious mistake in Burton's Batman.  They learned since then, and he's been kept alive so far.  Of course in the Bond Movies Blofeld was the only bad guy to survive more than one film, too (although Jaws the henchman survived 3 films).

By genre convention, James Bond is usually put into a kill-or-be-killed position. The villain's ignominious end is practically inevitable. But with superheroes, comic book writers always managed to contrive ways/reasons the hero would win without ever having to kill the villain. Well, at least until later publishing ages when "dark and gritty" became a popular marketing ploy.

The notion of the recurring villain, largely borrowed from the pulps, was a handy way of introducing serialized drama to an ongoing narrative. But until recently, superhero movies weren't serialized in any sense. Each movie was a one-off story in which everyone except the title character was essentially disposable. The MCU is the first attempt to turn a film franchise into an ongoing mythology similar to the comics it draws from. And it has been pretty successful at this, though I find it odd that they have killed off so many of their villains. I guess this is one way in which MCU movies are less like (superhero) comic book movies and more like action films (ala James Bond) that happen to have superheroes/supervillains in them.

DC needs better cinematic villains too.  The one great one they've created is Joker, but other than that?

But he has become such a master of disguise. He appeared as Two-Face in the 3rd Schumacher movie, he appeared as Lex Luther in Batman vs. Superman. Its my only explanation for how those characters acted.

But he has become such a master of disguise. He appeared as Two-Face in the 3rd Schumacher movie, he appeared as Lex Luther in Batman vs. Superman. Its my only explanation for how those characters acted.

If they had a cardboard cut out of Superman TAS of Lex Luthor, with Clancey Brown doing a voice over it would have made the movie so much better.

I've been a fan of Gotham ever since it figured out what it wanted to be, and I also feel that the actor that have playing Bruce Wayne has been growing into the role nicely.  So, this is one that I am looking forward to.

Thank goodness that Supergirl provides us with an alternative.