DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

DC wasn't doing an overarching universe well because they were pushing the universe instead of the stories.  Just a few hints and fun bits are enough for fans, particularly in the internet age where every frame of a film is pulled apart an examined to meticulous detail.

They were using a sledgehammer when all that's needed was the stroke of a pen.  Wonder Woman in a newspaper article.  Drop a hint of Aquaman in Suicide Squad.  A joke in Wonder Woman about Batman.  No need to have more than that, just a feeling that this self contained film is part of a larger world.  Instead they were like modern day Simpsons where a guest celebrity star is announced: Its Tim Allen! (Tim Allen says a joke) in the middle of the story for no apparent reason.

Suicide Squad only used Batman in a flashback, and that was fine. However, my problem with the way Batman has been used so far is that it all feels bass-ackwards to me. He is used as a supporting character in a Superman sequel, and then as a flashback cameo in SS, all before we are given the Affleck version of Batman in his own movie (a movie, by the way, which we'll never see with Affleck in the role now). In my view, the Superman movie should have been followed by a Batman movie, and then BvS would have felt more organic. The small, supporting role Wonder Woman played in BvS was fine because she was more of an easter egg than a critical component of the plot, and her appearance was followed up rather promptly with her own movie.

What Should The DCEU Be Called Now?

http://screenrant.com/dceu-new-name-dc-films/

As it turns out, there is no offical name or brand for it. I was under the impression that "DCEU" was sanctioned and offical, but it isn't the case. So to all those who I've "corrected" over the period, I apologise.

Basically, call it what you want*, or not, no one at DC Films cares. It is not really a cinematic universe either, as an "elseworlds" Joker film is being made. "Justice League Universe" was used officially in one marketing spot, but that hasn't been used since.

*"Wonder Woman and Super Friends" is as good as any.

Suicide Squad only used Batman in a flashback, and that was fine. However, my problem with the way Batman has been used so far is that it all feels bass-ackwards to me. He is used as a supporting character in a Superman sequel, and then as a flashback cameo in SS, all before we are given the Affleck version of Batman in his own movie (a movie, by the way, which we'll never see with Affleck in the role now). In my view, the Superman movie should have been followed by a Batman movie, and then BvS would have felt more organic. The small, supporting role Wonder Woman played in BvS was fine because she was more of an easter egg than a critical component of the plot, and her appearance was followed up rather promptly with her own movie.

Sad part was, his use in SS was more Batman then in BvsS. His showing "mercy" on Deadshot, with DS daughter right there. That was what you think of Batman. Not Branding villains to mark their "3 Strikes".

• 2 weeks later...

Or is it? :whistle:

I imagine you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, movies don't get greenlit, developed, filmed and released over a matter of months, especially smaller independent films. It takes years to bring a project like that to fruition, and arrange for distribution. I guarantee this release was settled before WW ever made it to theaters.

I think the fight in Captain America: Civil War shows the problem with the DC movies so far.  There you had a fight where the focus was on the characters, while DC puts more of it into the background obscuring the characters.

Plus the movie Flash makes me pine for the CW's Flash.

I imagine you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, movies don't get greenlit, developed, filmed and released over a matter of months, especially smaller independent films. It takes years to bring a project like that to fruition, and arrange for distribution. I guarantee this release was settled before WW ever made it to theaters.

I was just kidding around. My humor isn't always funny. Anyway, do you have a link to the article?

He seems to be channeling JL animated Flash, which is actually fine with me.

Which of course was Wally West, not Barry Allen. Wally was a fanboy who was barely an adult (maybe 21-23 in the animated show). It's another DC wanting one character but the personality of a different version:

Green Lantern named Hal Jordan, personality Kyle Rayner.

Lex Luthor named Lex Luthor, personality Joker.

There are more examples, but they are from further back.

• Green Lantern named Hal Jordan, personality Kyle Rayner.

Lex Luthor named Lex Luthor, personality Joker.

Two Face who was basically the Joker (Batman and Robin)

yeah its not smart.  they have decades of comics to pull from, use those for the template.  They have turned Aquaman into a fratboy dude with big pecs, Batman into a jokester, Flash into a little kid, and Cyborg who knows??  Batman seems to have the special relationship with Wonder Woman that he used to with Superman in the comics: mutual respect and admiration, even partners.  I don't get where they're going with this at all.

It might be good, it might all work.  Just hard to see from this side of things.

It's all part of a trend in Hollywood to take iconic characters, change them in fairly drastic ways (origin, personality, appearance, etc.) and cravenly use the iconic name just to cash in on the name recognition. 99% of the time these changes aren't fresh and exciting, they are just creatively dishonest.