Island of Lost Villains

steriaca

Is Destruction Company (from High-Tech Enemies, IIRC) still part of the CU?  They were favorite foes of my players. 

There's been no mention of them in any official source to date. Not saying they couldn't be added in future, although I don't know if the Champions IP rights include them.

They're probably my favorite Champs "theme" villains, due to their common motif and matching costumes.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with the CalTech crew that wrote up Enemies 3

a few had drifted away before I joined up with them in 85 and played with them till 2010 when the game moved from Pasadena to Long Beach and it became too long of a drive for me

(Ren faire was also taking up a lot of my life,still is)

Dennis Mallonee was one of the main GMs

That group put out

Enemies 3

The Great Supervillain Contest

Coriolis Effect

Andy Robinson did

Primus and DEMON (boy was  he surprised when I showed him my copy of DEMON :servants of darkness)

Challenges for Champions

Dave Berge Andy Robinson and Barry Wilson did

Magic Items

a lot of those characters belonged to others(a few where even heroes ,not villains(Red Rapier,Beamline)

Ownership went back to the creators, and DOJ did not seek to regain them

Lucky :) 

a lot of those characters belonged to others(a few where even heroes ,not villains(Red Rapier,Beamline)

I thought Beamline was always a villain--once he got his powers he began a campaign to turn America into a scientific oligarchy.  That's how I remember him from Enemies III and Classic Enemies.

Beamlines creator ,Eric Christian always played him as a hero at Caltech when he was with us
his character was played that scientists should be incharge ,but not to the point of revolution

he was a hero first and complained about idiot polititians

I thought Beamline was always a villain--once he got his powers he began a campaign to turn America into a scientific oligarchy.  That's how I remember him from Enemies III and Classic Enemies.

Beamlines creator ,Eric Christian always played him as a hero at Caltech when he was with us

his character was played that scientists should be incharge ,but not to the point of revolution

Nice to see that some villains can be played as heroes without stretching the concept.

I am reminded of a quote attributed to Issac Asimov, which paraphrases another famous quote by Georges Clemenceau--"Science is too important a matter to be left to the scientists."

So how did he get along with the "less intelligent" members of the hero team?

if you pulled a stupid maneuver ,you where dead to him
if you really screwed up the plan he might attack you

I am reminded of a quote attributed to Issac Asimov, which paraphrases another famous quote by Georges Clemenceau--"Science is too important a matter to be left to the scientists."

So how did he get along with the "less intelligent" members of the hero team?

I believe he is speaking on how a scientist would suffer from tunnel vision on a project
also morality might get lost or in the way of the big picture
and yes the A-bomb has it's pluses and minuses

To misquot Tony Clifton (I think...whatever the name of Andy Koffman's lounge singer character), " You want to see Deathstroke? Gets shovel."

That is not mentioned to be cruel, but remember that your playing a role playing game based on comic books. Death doesn't have to be the end of the dead members.

In my 5th ed campaign, they were still alive and causing problems. ;)

Genocide's anti-mutant role in the CU has been superseded by the Institute for Human Advancement (IHA).

IHA makes much more sense than Genocide: even for comic-book supervillain group, I think the group works much better with a more "PR Friendly" name that doesn't quite mask their true agenda. I could name a few dozen Real Life examples, but I don't want to veer into NGD territory...

Yeah, that's the thing: we're dealing with the conventions of a comic-book world. We accept certain images and tropes that would seem odd or silly in real life, because they've accumulated acceptance in our consciousness over the years. I mean, the Champions Universe still has many people working for groups called VIPER and DEMON.

"Genocide" is a perfect description of what the core group stands for, and would not put off their committed members. These are fanatics who believe "normal humans" are in a war for survival against the emerging superhuman mutant "species," and intend to wipe mutants out before the mutants wipe them out. In my own CU-based campaign I've used the Institute for Human Advancement, and the Pure Earth Society (from the 4E The Mutant File), as front groups for Genocide, raising funds, affecting public opinion, and lobbying for legislation. These groups mostly recruit moderate members with more reasonable concerns about mutants, but also sift through that membership to find the extremists, who are inducted into the true Genocide.

I transformed Genocide many editions back. The IHA became the politically correct face and Project Genocide became the secret extremist splinter group.

Purifier from Champions of the North became head of another "splinter group" called Project Purifier. Agents with Enhanced Cybernetic Augmentations drawn from ex-military, law enforcement, and regular Agents maimed by Superhumans, Extraterrestrials, etc...

I transformed Genocide many editions back. The IHA became the politically correct face and Project Genocide became the secret extremist splinter group.

Purifier from Champions of the North became head of another "splinter group" called Project Purifier. Agents with Enhanced Cybernetic Augmentations drawn from ex-military, law enforcement, and regular Agents maimed by Superhumans, Extraterrestrials, etc...

I did much the same, "Genocide" is a stalking horse for the "real" organisation, that currently goes by "Omega". Genocide is intended to galvanise mutants into forming militias so that when Genocide is "destroyed", they can hype up the new mutant peril...a mutant "army" just might get federal funding for a "counter mutant" Primus spin off.

Then a "state of emergency", and the new scientific elite can take power.

I also went with Cyborgs, many converted unwillingly, others upgraded after a mutant harmed them....

The New Deathstroke:

After hiding since escaping Stronghold the brothers have recruited new members are ready to plaque the world once again. The line up of the New Deathstroke is:

Requiem
Frost
Jade Phoenix
Steel Commando
Stiletto

Nice! What sort of villany will they be getting into? More Epic Threats? Or "Lets get naughty"?