Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'm not seeing any Democrats playing the optimism and compassion game. 🤷‍♂️

It's a big part of Bernie Sanders' game plan. And we saw during his last campaign for the Democratic nomination how his attitude energized his supporters, particularly young people.

I'm not saying Sanders should necessarily be the nominee this go-around, or that all of his ideas should be in the party platform; but whoever it is needs some of that kind of positivity to counter Trumpism.

Meanwhile, Trump's taking credit for falling cancer rates. Cancer rates that have been falling for decades due to a decline in smoking along with better cancer treatments...the latter of which being in part the result of work by the NIH and the National Cancer Institute, both of which Trump wanted to subject to budget cuts.

There is no bottom to his shamelessness.

And the kicker is, his followers believe he's really responsible for things like falling cancer rates. He gets retweets and "likes" galore for these self-aggrandizing tweets.

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I can't do more than I have, offer the examples of previous presidents who didn't fear-monger. Including the one famous for saying, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Sadly, we're lacking in that kind of politician these days, and I'm not optimistic that we'll find one any time soon. Well, maybe we will. Maybe there's a tipping point where people want that kind of politician again.

10 hours ago, GM Joe said:

Meanwhile, Trump's taking credit for falling cancer rates. Cancer rates that have been falling for decades due to a decline in smoking along with better cancer treatments...the latter of which being in part the result of work by the NIH and the National Cancer Institute, both of which Trump wanted to subject to budget cuts.

And the kicker is, his followers believe he's really responsible for things like falling cancer rates. He gets retweets and "likes" galore for these self-aggrandizing tweets.

I have become convinced about 70% at least of his tweets are just trolling.  (and somewhat convinced most of said retweets and likes are similar)

It unfortunately works all too well.

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have become convinced about 70% at least of his tweets are just trolling.  (and somewhat convinced most of said retweets and likes are similar)

It unfortunately works all too well.

That's sort of the problem.  Inciting anger and hatred of 'your political opponents' is the 'goal'.  And pleasing your base that you are inciting anger and hatred in 'their political opponents'.

There may never be any cooperation in this country over issues over things like 'global warming' or 'health care' for decades now.  And I can't even imagine what to make over the politicization over issues like... "Do we want a war with Iran?  Y/N?"

I'm not saying this to hold you up or take it out on you.  I know you have little to do with it.

It was sort of interesting to hear one of the Ukraine officials say that their great concern was the 'politicization of ukraine aid'.  Puts some things into perspective.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Well, to be fair, I am only reporting what I see out of it. :)

Yep.  And I appreciate the perspective of people outside my circle.  It's how you learn more about the problems that your in circle don't know about.

Edit:  Not to mention it's hard to be on the opposite side of a crowd's opinion and still stay measured.  I appreciate the hard work you are putting in with that.  :)

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've decided Donald Trump has one skill, which he uses over and over in every situation: he can assert the most absurd, outrageous, patently false things with the appearance of absolute conviction and sincerity. One reason his followers believe it is because he convinces them that he believes it.

That is one of the most desirable traits in a salesman.  The ability to convince your prospective customers that you truly believe in what your selling.

I haven't heard many people accuse Trump of not being a salesman. 

(the type of 'salesman' they might be describing him of being is a different thing entirely...)

7 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've decided Donald Trump has one skill, which he uses over and over in every situation: he can assert the most absurd, outrageous, patently false things with the appearance of absolute conviction and sincerity. One reason his followers believe it is because he convinces them that he believes it.

He's the anti-Cassandra. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:28 AM, GM Joe said:

"The sun came up this morning! More bright beautiful days under MY ADMINISTRATION!"

The biggest issue is that even if Democrats retake the Senate and hold the House while winning the Presidency, that still leaves the Supreme Court. They'll strike down anything that even mildly discomforts the wealthy and powerful, no matter what that will mean for average citizens.

On the other hand, the only way to solve that particular problem is to hold the Senate and the Presidency, so that's where it'll have to start. Probably not this time around, though.