Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Oh, the idea's been bouncing around for a while.

Unfortunately. I remember the 2008 election, when McCain sang his little ditty. And before that, back in May of 2003 when a senior Bush official said, "Anyone can go to Baghdad. Real men go to Tehran."

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

You know, a cynical observer might interpret the assassination of a high ranking Iranian official as an attempt to start a war by someone hoping to distract a nation from ongoing impeachment revelations.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with yesterdays' reveal of unredacted Ukraine documents.

https://www.justsecurity.org/67863/exclusive-unredacted-ukraine-documents-reveal-extent-of-pentagons-legal-concerns/

20 hours ago, Old Man said:

You know, a cynical observer might interpret the assassination of a high ranking Iranian official as an attempt to start a war by someone hoping to distract a nation from ongoing impeachment revelations.

Well, it has already been politically effective... at ending the demonstrations by Iranians fed up with their government. Who can demand reform when the crazed, murderous Americans have just committed a real, no kidding, internationally defined act of war?

I am not intrinsically opposed to assassination. I can imagine specific circumstances in which it might be the most effective course to prevent greater harm, or be the only way to stop certain enemies. This is not one of them.

Dean Shomshak

I'm not sad he's gone. Guy was an enemy of the West, and America specifically. Lots of blood on his hands, not going to clutch my pearls and wring my hands about this particular targeted assassination given how many others we've engaged in under numerous administrations. This doesn't strike me as a political hill to die on, but we will see how it plays out.

3 hours ago, pinecone said:

I don't know if it is an "act of war", it could be excused away as "colateral damage" he was meeting with the leader of Hezbuallah, on foreign soil. Time will tell....

Soleimani's indisputable douchebaggery is irrelevant.  Mike Pompeo is not a valid target if he meets with the Kurds in Iraq.  Morality aside, whacking Mike Pompeo in Iraq with a drone strike risks war with the United States and, therefore, would be a stupid thing to do.

Our only real hope is that some of the rumors I've read about Soleimani being on the outs with the Iranian government are true, and hitting him actually did the Ayatollah a favor.

It's getting worse apparently with some saying that the Iraqi government was asked to act as a mediator and then used red wedding style to get at Soleimani. If true, then while a scum bag, Soleimani actually came to negotiate deescalation and got hit mafia style but with drones.  Trying to find the source on that

On 1/3/2020 at 3:35 AM, Old Man said:

If impeachment was actually negatively impacting Trump in the polls, I would agree with you. (Havent seen enough, but most recent polls I have been able to find suggest, Trump should want this thing to last till October)

On 1/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, Hermit said:

It's getting worse apparently with some saying that the Iraqi government was asked to act as a mediator and then used red wedding style to get at Soleimani. If true, then while a scum bag, Soleimani actually came to negotiate deescalation and got hit mafia style but with drones.  Trying to find the source on that

While I would never support such tactics.  given Iran's operating procedure of the last 40 years, I feel compelled to point out the ironic karma in that.