Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

NOTE THE QUALIFIER.  For the seniors.  It's part of Medicare Part D.  I'll grant that's great but I'm worried the price for others may shoot up.  The refined alternatives like Novolog and Humalog are MASSIVE profit centers for their manufacturers.

I have two kids in my 4B astronomy class aline who are insulin dependent. It would suck if their families suddenly had to pay more to keep them alive in order to offset reduced insulin prices for seniors.

Of course, in pretty much any non-third-world country other than this one, this wouldn't even be an issue. 

Joe Biden's Christmas message:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-christmas-address-to-the-nation/

Donald Trump's Christmas message:

"Merry Christmas to EVERYONE, including the Radical Left Marxists that are trying to destroy our Country, the Federal Bureau of Investigation that is illegally coercing & paying Social and LameStream Media to push for a mentally disabled Democrat over the Brilliant, Clairvoyant, and USA LOVING Donald J. Trump, and, of course, The Department of Injustice, which appointed a Special 'Prosecutor' who, together with his wife and family, HATES 'Trump' more than any other person on earth. LOVE TO ALL!"

I work with a guy who claims that California has a thirty day abortion law after birth, and that Eric Holder's wife owned an abortion clinic where they were snipping spinal cords. I tried to look up the 30 day law and couldn't find it, and the Holder's wife was something he came up with today. I think he needs to get off facebook but the moment I try to say he's wrong, he's like noooooooo.

I admit I work with some stupid people. Please do not hold that against me.

CES    

10 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I work with a guy who claims that California has a thirty day abortion law after birth, and that Eric Holder's wife owned an abortion clinic where they were snipping spinal cords. I tried to look up the 30 day law and couldn't find it, and the Holder's wife was something he came up with today. I think he needs to get off facebook but the moment I try to say he's wrong, he's like noooooooo.

I admit I work with some stupid people. Please do not hold that against me.

CES    

Sometimes I despair of people, and sometimes I despair of the culture.  Is the guy stupid, or is he simply caught up in the trap of lies that others spread presumably to promote their agenda?  

I agree with the social media issue...which is why what Musk is doing is so problematic...but it's not limited to social media.  It's simply the most reactive echo chamber...seed a few juicy, explosive tidbits, and sit back to watch the hyperexponential growth you're aiming for...which creates buzz off social media, and establishes a self-perpetuating 'truth.'

I've said it before.  Mainstream and social media manipulators declared a war on truth a long time ago...and they've won.  They've established an alternate concept of reality wherein they're the lords of judgment.  They create the lens through which facts are viewed.  So to what degree is your co-worker foolish, versus a victim?

EDIT:  nasty tangent.  If you question how a Putin can keep the Russian people toeing his line...well, just look at how effective Fox News is, with their followers...despite the presence of numerous alternatives.

BTW, the source of this kerfuffle:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-445225024907

I think that he is a trumpist and doesnt have a clue. One day I was telling another guy about the school debt relief being held up in Texas because one of the guys suing was because he didn't get enough money. Paul was like this was rendered unconstituational and it was executive action. When I tried to tell him he was wrong, he was like no you're wrong.

But if you do a search for the law on this you get the congressional record here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2034

When you look at the status, the president signed on it

CES    

9 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I think that he is a trumpist and doesnt have a clue. One day I was telling another guy about the school debt relief being held up in Texas because one of the guys suing was because he didn't get enough money. Paul was like this was rendered unconstituational and it was executive action. When I tried to tell him he was wrong, he was like no you're wrong.

But if you do a search for the law on this you get the congressional record here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2034

When you look at the status, the president signed on it

CES    

Paul is right.  It is an executive action.  If you look at the legislative tracker given by the your link, it list the bills status as being "Introduced".  It hasn't even been voted on, much less passed by the House and the Senate. So, Biden may have used this bill as the template for his executive action, but that doesn't make it a law.

As for whether or not the executive action is unconstitutional, that is for the courts to decide.

16 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Paul is right.  It is an executive action.  If you look at the legislative tracker given by the your link, it list the bills status as being "Introduced".  It hasn't even been voted on, much less passed by the House and the Senate. So, Biden may have used this bill as the template for his executive action, but that doesn't make it a law.

As for whether or not the executive action is unconstitutional, that is for the courts to decide.

The last I heard it hasn't reached the supreme court. The two guys suing in Texas are mad about the money limits, and the Republican states suing are mad that some of their debt collection agencies might be out of business and it will hurt their economies.

CES 

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

The last I heard it hasn't reached the supreme court. The two guys suing in Texas are mad about the money limits, and the Republican states suing are mad that some of their debt collection agencies might be out of business and it will hurt their economies.

CES 

Won't someone think of the debt collectors?!

2 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

Stop Another Non Truthful Office Seeker: act to require filing of work history and other information when registering as a candidate for office, making falsehoods of such claims a federal crime.

I think someone said that the NY DA is looking at him for all of this stuff. They want to know where his money came from to declare is what I heard.

CES 

7 hours ago, csyphrett said:

CES 

It will likely take years to reach SCOTOS.  That is if it ever does.  However, being decided by a lesser court is still being decided by a court.

5 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

It will likely take years to reach SCOTOS.  That is if it ever does.  However, being decided by a lesser court is still being decided by a court.

That’s the way Legal action works and I fully agree, the legal process is being used for that purpose in multiple 2nd Amendment cases (to give an example from another direction) by CA, NJ, NY and now even Oregon and Washington, among others. Cuts both ways, you are entitled to due process, it may take a minute and some resources to make your case.

The very reason why the Texas anti-abortion law is horrible and unconstitutional in many respects also will apply to California’s adoption of that for firearm lawsuits. Likely even more so, as the AG isn’t going to defend it (and the Governor’s attorney who stepped in with the absence of the State AG is getting clobbered - one can only hope that the same thing happens to the Texas law that inspired it).

Citizens are entitled to challenge the actions of government in Court, which is far more concerned with the correct interpretation of the Law than haste. You can ask for preliminary injunctions for that…