Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

On other forums I've wondered whether redpilling involves taking an actual pill; when Musk or Kanye or Bezos go off the deep end it feels extremely abrupt.  But I suppose it's more likely that they've just always been like that and what's actually happening is that their handlers suddenly lose containment.

We have a 5-13. I repeat, we have a 5-13!

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, apparently Trump's stuff sold out *Sigh*

I love my country but a too large percentage of it is freaking me out

The way the NFTs are structured, any time they are resold, Trump gets 10%.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I still recall when "pet rocks" were a thing people actually paid money for - but at least you got something physical for your dollar...

I still have mine!  Just the rock though, not the packaging.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, apparently Trump's stuff sold out *Sigh*

I love my country but a too large percentage of it is freaking me out

10 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I saw that. The grift never ends. 

Barnum called it right: there IS one born every minute.  smh

5 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

There are a few people saying that the Tromp NFTS are just a money laundering scheme, which it may be as NFTs have had that accusation for a long time anyway. I have a feeling though it's just a standard grift on his cult. 

I have heard that too. Supposedly the company that set this up has been caught with their hands in the cookie jar before

CES

Getting more into cultural context and commentary, the latest On the Media examines the politics of nostalgia. MAGA and various authoritarians mentioned, of course, as they use myths of "the good old days" and threats to those supposed ancient virtues to inflame the gullible. Funniest part, though, comes at the end in which a journalist describes his search down the annals of history to show that the lamentations of the present -- from the incipient collapse of democracy to political correctness killing comedy -- are just the latest chorus of very old refrains. (The oldest of course being "Kids these days," which even Socrates bewailed.)

https://waaa.wnyc.org/otm/otm121622_cms1280290_pod.mp3/otm121622_cms1280290_pod.mp3_ywr3ahjkcgo_7318511a6160ff68056b0a7e85c808c8_49602498.mp3?awCollectionId=398&awEpisodeId=1280290&sc=siteplayer&aw_0_1st.playerid=siteplayer&hash_redirect=1&x-total-bytes=49602498&x-ais-classified=streaming&listeningSessionID=0CD_382_352__443e4caba02d74c1e2025ae0e3eecfa5c4bbe85b

Dean Shomshak

4 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Getting more into cultural context and commentary, the latest On the Media examines the politics of nostalgia. MAGA and various authoritarians mentioned, of course, as they use myths of "the good old days" and threats to those supposed ancient virtues to inflame the gullible. Funniest part, though, comes at the end in which a journalist describes his search down the annals of history to show that the lamentations of the present -- from the incipient collapse of democracy to political correctness killing comedy -- are just the latest chorus of very old refrains. (The oldest of course being "Kids these days," which even Socrates bewailed.)

https://waaa.wnyc.org/otm/otm121622_cms1280290_pod.mp3/otm121622_cms1280290_pod.mp3_ywr3ahjkcgo_7318511a6160ff68056b0a7e85c808c8_49602498.mp3?awCollectionId=398&awEpisodeId=1280290&sc=siteplayer&aw_0_1st.playerid=siteplayer&hash_redirect=1&x-total-bytes=49602498&x-ais-classified=streaming&listeningSessionID=0CD_382_352__443e4caba02d74c1e2025ae0e3eecfa5c4bbe85b

Dean Shomshak

"Why can't they be like we were/perfect in every way..."

Every generation looks at the world a little differently from their parents. With today's constantly mutating technology, those differences are accelerating exponentially. While with the passage of time the parents' perspective also changes, but they often forget that they used to think and feel differently when they were their children's age.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

The previous generation also seems to always forget that they were responsible for raising the generation they're complaining about....

If your kids turn out to be lazy a$$holes, you might want to start looking in the mirror.

At my last job, the VP of Sales was prone to complain about how spoiled and entitled millennials were.  The millennials in the room and I always got a good chuckle out of hearing that coming from a boomer.

From NYT:

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol accused former President Donald J. Trump on Monday of inciting insurrection, conspiracy to defraud the United States, obstruction of an act of Congress and one more federal crime as it referred him to the Justice Department for potential prosecution.