Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Or rum, vodka, tequila, brandy/cognac...

I believe there might even be some ice beers that push the proof mark...

And of course, if your libation of choice exceeds 80 proof...I've got a predilection for barrel strength Bourbons and scotches, myself...well that's fine too.

If you're asking for suggestions?  Maker's, Maker's 46, Hennessey VS, Remy VSOP, Woodforde Reserve, Lagavulin Quarter Cask if your budget stretches that far....

Pretty sure I can get both at the only standalone liquor store left in town.  I've had Blanton's regular bottling;  it was quite enjoyable.

Mind:  there *are* different bottlings of both, and some are pretty sharply limited.  And neither is something you're likely to find in, say, a supermarket's liquor section.  

Just now, Ranxerox said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that is brag or a cry for help. :think:

Could be a bit of both, though I've cut _way_ back from pandemic drinking (lost about 25 pounds in the process). Main bit now is slowly reducing the collection over time -- The Wife and I are planning to do the expat thing within 8-10 years, and it would be needlessly expensive to ship all of that overseas.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Could be a bit of both, though I've cut _way_ back from pandemic drinking (lost about 25 pounds in the process). Main bit now is slowly reducing the collection over time -- The Wife and I are planning to do the expat thing within 8-10 years, and it would be needlessly expensive to ship all of that overseas.

Glad to hear about the cutting back and the weight loss thing.  I think that I speak for everyone here in saying that we want you around for a good long time.

If you don't mind me asking, which country were you thinking of moving to?

That has not been my experience (thankfully) -- the people are one of the big draws to moving there. I've found over the years that I have a somewhat unique gauge of the general acceptance of people in a given area - how they react to me in a kilt. Examples:  

• Vermont in general wants to be accepting of everything and seem desperate not to give offense, but this causes them to almost pretend that they can't see me as they try too hard to avoid giving any offense.  
  • Maine is ridiculously accepting of everything and very outspoken. They welcomed some crazy midwesterner in a kilt and peppered me with questions.
  • Portugal threw me for a loop - a complete non-reaction with the exception of one or two more "unique" individuals that went out of their way to compliment me on it.  I had more issues with the French (tourists) than the Portuguese. Extremely welcoming of all people, so long as you respond in kind.

To bring things back towards the thread topic, it may be due to the attitudes many Americans come in with -- Portugal has a better political climate from the US in almost all ways and tends to have rather strong opinions about fascism (given their relatively recent past, this isn't a surprise); have an American come in and express certain far-right political views and I can see a pretty negative take from the Portuguese.

On the fiscal side, they have an extremely low average income. That is generally compensated by a similarly low cost of living (allowing for an overall high quality of life), but the relatively recent rise of tourism has caused many locals to get priced out of housing in the cities (as more and more places go to AirBnbs). 

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Pretty sure I can get both at the only standalone liquor store left in town.  I've had Blanton's regular bottling;  it was quite enjoyable.

Mind:  there *are* different bottlings of both, and some are pretty sharply limited.  And neither is something you're likely to find in, say, a supermarket's liquor section.  

Angel’s Envy is definitely a supermarket available brand, I typically get it at Safeway or Costco. The Blanton’s takes a bit more work but they have it at one of our local liquor stores regularly. I also like Hooker’s House, and some of the other mid range bourbons. I’m not really wanting to commit to the super high end stuff, would rather not spend that much.

I am admittedly pretty straightforward when it comes to bourbons, wine I’ll go pretty hard on though.

Simon, that is an impressive bar display. Far better stocked than mine.

Huh, I might look Friday, I'll be at Safeway, probably.  Just cuz yours has it, doesn't mean mine will;  supermarket liquor sections tend to be stocked by the area distributors, and thus stock the brands they have.  And size matters...how much space they want to allocate.  That Safeway has either NO cognac whatsoever, or maybe 1 or 2 VSOPs in the locked case.  Almost nothing in the way of single malt scotch, again, outside the locked case.

I have gone through some of the "50 best bourbons you can buy" lists...rather amusing.  Almost all of em are a) FAR more than I wanna spend too, and b) many count as Unobtainium.  Demand VASTLY outstrips supply.  If you want to know what truly, ridiculously INSANE booze can run....

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/25-most-expensive-bourbons/

Scotches?  They're worse.  There's a longer tradition of aging for a VERY long time.  

https://mybartender.com/brands/most-expensive-scotch/

Cognac also has an upper, upper tier.  I've had Louis XIII once...not a bottle, mind.  Most expensive bottle would be Remy XO...the liquor store had reversed the prices on the Napoleon (the step up from VSOP) and the XO (a step above that).  So I got it at a really nice price. :) 

But yeah, for the most part?  They're not enough better to justify the seriously high costs, as you say.  I've largely avoided scotch and cognac for several years, because the prices on both blew through the ceiling.  When I do get it, I bite the bullet and go for the middle levels of the good lines...Remy Nadurra, Laphroaig Quarter Cask.  I mean, if it's gonna be an indulgence *anyway*...get the stuff you really like.

49 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Since when does what the majority wants ever matter in this country when it comes to legislation...?

Well, this also isn’t legislation. It’s just interesting to consider the amount the Court decisions align (or don’t) with the public opinion. It’s about the law, and in this case specifically the interpretation of the equal protection clause.

There are obviously very different perspectives on that issue, but that’s the case.