The Nightwing problem

TheQuestionMan

Dick Grayson aka Nightwing is the Rodney Dangerfield of DC Comics. - He don't get no respect"

Every new writer or artist introducing a new character has the beat up Nightwing including Damian Wayne.

We are talking about the man who regularily took on Deathstroke, H.I.V.E., the Greek Titans, Alien Invasion, lead the Justice League and the only man who could fill Batman's Cowl.

One of the hunks of the DCU. He has been sexually assaulted twice, beat near death by Batman's Gallery, and blackmailed by US Government Agencies on multiple occassions.

What does he have to do to get some respect in the DCU?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He suffers from the worf effect you can't beat batman up to show your bad ass so Nightwing gets jobbed by the new hotness.

Equally his emotional stability compared to his mentor means that people like to make him suffer.

It's not over unfortunately in the Arkham based Sony VR demo coming later this year you will be investigating nightwings murder.

Yeah Nightwing should be able to tool over pretty much any hand to hand guy in the DC universe except maybe Batman.  He is really, really really good and has been taught by the best.  I suspect those writers are putting their character up against Nightwing as a comparison, see he can beat this guy!

Don't even get me started on Damien.

I think it all started by being Robin for the better part of forever. Then joined Teen Titans still as Robin, the sidekick logo just didn't go away fast enough. Course most of the robin after him didn't fair very well, you'd think they would notice that.

Of course he is batman lite, even his weaponry is pretty much the same, that might have something to do with it too

I believe in the saying there is no such thing as a bad character, only bad writers, and poor Dick Grayson just seems to be victim of bad writers.  Personally, I think Dick Grayson as either Robin or Nightwing has a lot potential interesting uses besides being a punching bag for uncreative writers, but I think that is problem with a lot of DC characters, which as a bigger fan of DC than Marvel, is one of my regrets.

I like the Character intros/mission outros of DC Unvierse Online. They tend to sum up DC characters quite well in a minute or two:

Nightwings part begins after Etrigan, at 25:20. Basically sombody has dropped Chemo like a bomb onto Bludhaven.

Apparently nobody watched it. So I wrote it down:

(after Bludhaven was mostly destroyed by Chemo splashing right into city center).

"Bludhaven was my city.

I grew up in the shadow of the Bat, as Robin. And Gotham belongs to Batman.

So when I became Nightwing, Bludhaven became my home.

I know what it is like to have to make your mark. To Life up to an ideal.

And now, to have that destroyed.

But making your mark isn't always about winning.

Sometimes it is about loosing. Loosing badly.

And then getting Right. Back. Up. Again."

You can't really be the guy that keeps "getting right back up", if you never fall down to begin with.

It is kinda like wondering why Wolverine "is the best at what he does", when in reality he keeps getting hit in fights constantly - it is so the author can show off his healing factor.

With this and the recent Retcon that Captain America has been an Agent of Hydra the entire time, we've reached a low point in comic book writing.

What problem.  If I recall correctly, they stopped writing comics back in the mid 80's  :whistle: