A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Microsoft seeks US court intervention in EU

Sour grapes? Pot calling the kettle black? How To Protect Your Monopoly...for Dummies?

*sigh* the more things change the more they stay the same.

edit: Microsoft reported revenue of US$11.84 billion and they are worried about the EC imposing fines of US$2.4M daily for not complying with their ruling? Something here is inequal. This explains it so well...!!

So we've decided to have the christening meal at our house instead of at a restaurant, in order to save some money (I'm still unemployed). Anyway, in a group of 40 people there will be a vegetarian and a very close friend of mine who keeps kosher. So as you can imagine, figuring out a menu, even a buffet-style menu, is proving fun.

I think I have it figured out, though.

One last week in the quarter. I'm going to finish all the material in the syllabus, maybe with a day to spare. Lots of time to answer questions and do example problems. I should make up my exam soon.

A pity I can't show 'em Maxwell's Equations in all their glory instead of just talking around them, but they'd go for the tar and feathers the instant I tried to explain what the "del" operator is. :straight:

I will stay out of the abortion discussion this time.

etc.

I will not bludgeon my Assitant Manager

I will not bludgeon Enforcer84 with my d20s

:D

I love how, in the half hour after fdbaury was banned and the latest abortion thread closed, there were fully eight of us on the "reading the thread" list. For a brief moment I equated us with the typical crowd that gathers and watches with morbid fascination when someone gets hit by a car, and I laughed. I'm still laughing.

Bleah. A publisher sent me a free copy of a physics textbook, presumably for me to look over and consider adopting for my classes. Little do they know I have no part in the text adoption process here.

Consequently, this leaves me free to observe that the only thing more boring than a physics textbook you have to read is a physics textbook you don't have to read.

Some anime show has just come up on Adult Swim (bear in mind I'm in Mass. now so the time is 3:30), and I really can't get past those bizarrely exaggerated facial/emotive gestures. It's like watching Shatner on crack. I don't mean that it's wrong or bad - I mean literally that I can't get past it to appreciate whatever is purportedly there to appreciate.

Oh, now, this is rich! I just came across a paid ad, and one woman is talking, she has a low-cut shirt and good cleavage. Then they turn the camera to the other woman in this faux conversation, and she's got even greater cleavage! Ha! This is for "the Greatest Vitamin in the World" It's that guy, Don somebody-or-other, I've seen him before, he doesn't look good though these days, he's put on weight and looks like he's aged a lot, not really in a good way. Although to be fair he's been around a while. But still, I don't think he looks too healthy.