A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I'm really enjoying the influx of "new blood" into the HERO forums, at least in the on-topic forums (haven't participated enough in NGD to say at all over here, though I suspect it's good here, too, though every time I see a sociopolitical argument it strikes me as same-old-same-old).

Surfing DirecTV at work, I saw the tail end of The King and I, on Fox Movie Channel, where Yul Brynner's son delivers his first proclamation as the old man gives up the ghost, and after this switched to Turner Classics, which had the tail end of The Champ, where Jon Voight has taken a fatal punch in a fight and Ricky Schroeder is crying his eyes out. After that Turner had a Gene Hackman movie called I Never Sang for my Father, which could probably be summed up by its title.

Great way to celebrate Fathers' Day, especially for somebody whose dad isn't alive anymore. I'm looking forward to July 4, when they're going to show Platoon with Apocalypse Now. :D

JG

On Saturday went to the Taste of London event. This is when major restaurants do sample dishes for the general public and chefs that you only see on TV are involved as some of the restaurants taking part are theirs.

Had Sushi for the first time and baby octopus. Mummy Octopus wasn't too amused and is after me for that. Also had pigeon pie for the first time.

There were also drinks and I got into a tasting for Royal Tokaji which is Hungarian wine. Great if you like sweet wines for the latter. Also had a Brazilian spirit called, I think, Sagita.

I had a conventional but good Middle American Father's Day yesterday. Went bowling with my son and my father-in-law, both of whom are more enthusiastic about bowling than I. (The women in the family were present, but among them only my step-mother-in-law bowled as well.) Strangely, the bowling alley was almost empty. I suppose the nice weather can be blamed for that. The prime rib at the bowling alley's attached restaurant was quite good, and also it was cheap: between a third and half the price it would have been at steak house.

On a completely different note ...

At least where I am, there'll be unusually low tides for the next few days. If you have a beach near you, could be a great time to take the kids -- mine have their last day of school today -- out there and look for critters. US tidal predictions can be had from http://140.90.121.76/tides05/ (and despite the numeric URL, that's a NOAA official site).

I say "dude" too much for a man of 42 (or is that a "man" of 42? :D ). Am I one of those annoying middle aged people who say young people things? I hope not, I think it's more a regional thing here, less age-respective. I hope. It's not like I say "boo-ya" or anything else.