A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I just finished reading "KISS: Behind the Mask-The Official Authorized Biography." It was a Christmas gift one year ago, so knowing that I would need reading material on this trip, I thought it apropos.

I used to be a huge KISS fan. I still am a fan, but I haven't really listened to them much in recent years. My wife didn't like them (that should have been the dealbreaker! Live and learn) so they didn't get much play in the house. After she left, I just wasn't much in the mood for listening to any of my CDs, KISS or otherwise. They all seemed so flat, no pun intended.

In college KISS was practically my hobby. I finally had the money to start buying CDs and I got access to The Internet (Hosannah!) which changed everything. You know what? I missed that. This book brought back a lot of the fun that I'd had that was missing in my life. It's like the time I stopped buying comic books for some years, then walked into a comic book store for no real reason other than curiousity. "I used to love this stuff? Why did I stop?" :think:

When I get home, I'm burning all of my KISS CDs to the hard drive, and me and the boys will be playing all night.

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Willow trees are the hardest thing to kill on this planet. Roaches got nothing on them.

I have cut a willow tree down to the ground line along our back fence, drilled holes in the stump, filled the holes with systemic herbicide (it is supposed to kill anything). The next spring all the grass in a two foot radius is dead but that willow tree sprang right back to life.

I think I need some bunker busting bombs.

"We're going to need to send a technician out to look at your satellite system."

"Do I have to pay for that?"

"Yes ma'am... are you covered by our Protection Plan?"

"I don't think so...."

"I was going to say, after the warranty expires, the company doesn't cover replacement parts or service calls. If you're on Protection Plan, that costs $5.99 a month, but that covers the service call. Otherwise they charge 70 dollars per service call without the Plan."

"$5.99 a MONTH?? I'm not paying that! Why should I have to pay for you to come out and fix this?!?"

"..........Because it's broken."

"But I was getting TV an hour ago!"

"Yes, ma'am. But the dish isn't getting a signal now, and I can't do anything from here to fix that. We need to send a technician out to find out what's wrong."

"Well, I'm not paying for it! It's YOUR system, if it breaks down, it's YOUR fault!"

"Did you buy the equipment from us?"

"Yes."

"Then it's your equipment."

"But it's YOUR system!"

"Yes, ma'am. Just like when GM sells you a car, it's still a GM car. Now when your car breaks down on the side of the road, do you expect GM to repair it for free without an insurance plan just because it was working an hour ago?"

I just had this thought...this delightfully evil and master-villain kind of thought..but also kind of Foxbat kind of thought...but it COULD be done...

Okay, so as you may or may not know, Subway has switched from Pepsi products to Coke, which means, among the obvious, no more Mountain Dew! :mad: Now I was thinking I could perform spam-terrorism on the general public, indicating it won't end until Subway changes their ways, a crackpot thought but it's the kind of thing one could do with a proper amount of subterfuge and some replicating virus stuff...but then I realized that in fact lots of hackers are young guys who are die-hard Dew guys. So then I started thinking, I could easily network, make connections, and we could launch something truly massive! And it would be the first organized spam-terrorism, a marker in history, and I'd be a salient footnote.

Yeah, I know, it's nuts, but think about it, someone could do something like this, whether for a cause this trivial or one much greater. And it's evil, but not as evil as shooting a president or anything.

(That last line pretty much cracked up my wife. For some reason she thinks I'm headed into nutty (I said "dangerous" earlier but meant it in terms of oneself!) old man territory. I can't imagine why...)

Today in the South Street, Philadelphia Comic Book Store, I saw T-shirts of the Statue of Liberty with fangmarks on her neck and a dazed expression in the arms of a vaguely-familiar looking Vampire. I asked myself, who is that Actor ? I KNOW I've seen him somewhere. Suddenly I realized it was President Bush. :eek:

Just listening to this - what a great song for such a simple song:

Cool thing walkin' like a panther

come on and give me an answer

what do you say?

I don't wanna

I don't think so

Anyway, the real musing is, I think I know why Paris Hilton is such a phenom. She's really the quintessence of white trash, whether the Euro trash version or the American trailer trash version, yet she comes from an upper class home. As such, she demonstrates that linkage of white European junk (in all forms) culture across our socioeconomic spectrum. And it's a powerful strain of white culture. I mean, in addition to her slutty nature and all and from a powerful media position, sure, that all counts, but I think that "something extra" which makes everyone say "why the heck is everyone so interested in Paris Hilton?" is that linkage. Which is also why we love to hate her so much, for many can see that linkage to the undesirable underbelly of American/European culture.

She is us. :eek: (well, depending on who "us" is, but being of part white trash origin and like so many crackers having a few traits influenced by that, I'm part of "us")

Now this song is on:

Are you waiting?

I don't mind

you're already saying goodbye

I see a little light

I know you will

I can see it in your eyes

I know you still care

Oh now this song:

and I laughed

like I always do

and I cried