A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I'm getting ready for next month's office move by culling some of the 70+ shelf-feet of **** that my predecessors have accumulated. (That's not counting 13 file cabinet drawers full of paper.)

I have never understood the packrat mentality. I can vaguely conceive why someone might want to hold on to a 15-year-old draft manual that has been superceeded four times since then... but three copies?!?! I just don't get it.

Actually, inheriting jobs from packrats is becoming a habit with me. In my previous job, I once came across seven cases of FEMA manuals on how to earthquake-proof buildings. (This was in New Mexico; earthquakes aren't exactly a major hazard to begin with.) Stacked behind those cases? Seven more cases of an obsolete previous edition of the exact same manual! Our custodian said he had asked my predecessor if he could throw them away and was specifically told to hold on to them. :nonp:

If you're never going to trust me, and never going to believe me, no matter what I say or do, why do I even bother?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has several answers, but I suspect I'm not going to like any of them.

Man, I had the wildest dream last night.

There was a bank robbery going on. I was with another dude who was the explosives expert (I was his assistant or something). He had the whole bank wired to go up. Although we were a part of the group robbing the bank, in reality we were working for a Decepticon who was part of the robbery. Once the robbery was over, the Decepticon killed everyone in the gang who wasn't working for him -- he just mowed them all down with an autogun, with frightening robotic accuracy.

Some other guys showed up late to the robbery and saw what was going on, so they pulled out their handguns. Me and the explosives guy were yelling at them to put their guns down, but they wouldn't listen, so they got mowed down too. I remember diving behind a concrete wall when the shooting started, as I didn't want to get hit by a stray bullet.

So all but a few of us were gone, and then the cops start showing up. We're hiding in the remains of the bank. The Decepticon has a plan -- once he's cleared out all the cops, he'll transform into a jeep or a helicopter (I'm guessing he was one of the "triple-changers") and we'd get out of there.

Oh, the other weird thing is that the Decepticon looks completely human. He's a Transformer, but he looks like a person.

So the cops have us surrounded. Most of us are hiding behind walls and whatnot, so as not to get caught in the crossfire. The Decepticon, pretty as you please, walks out the front door and starts gunning down the cops. They're shooting back at him but their weapons are useless.

OK, that's all pretty bizarre, but the really wild thing about this is that the whole time, I'm "meta-dreaming." F'rinstance, the "character" that I'm playing (the bomb-maker's assistant) has no idea that the boss is a Decepticon. He looks like an ordinary guy. But I, the dreamer, is fully aware of what he really is and what his plans are. The "character" doesn't know how the boss is so accurate with his gun, but the dreamer knows it's because he has robotic targeting computers and whatnot. The "character" doesn't know how we're going to get out of the bank, but the dreamer knows the Decepticon is going to Transform into a vehicle.

It was actually kind of cool. Like dreaming on multiple levels. I do this a lot, but last night was really vivid.

Repeated exposure to a certain poster has turned me into an anti-Mutants and Masterminds snob. That's a shame, as I really like the work of a few of the guys writing materials for the company, and I casually know and like one of them on a personal level and as a poster. I should try to be more tolerant. "Hate the gamer, not the game system".

My brothers and the boys played a festival here in town friday night. It went really well -- about halfway through, the main attraction started playing in the next hall over, but most of the audince stayed, and seemed real enthusiastic. There was dancing, jumping, clapping, screaming at the appropriate places, local press coverage . . .

Now I go online to see if there's a review, and what do I find? Saturday, when the main attraction played, the floor under the audience collapsed. Over two dozen kids injured, some seriously -- arms and legs broken, and the like. What should have been a fun time for all went seriously south, as they say.

This is not fun.