A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

My cats caught a moth in the house last night. The gray cat was chasing it, then the white cat got it and began playing with it. The gray cat was watching the white cat closely -- so closely that the white cat kept taking the moth in her mouth, carrying it to the other side of the room, and then playing with it some more. Finally, the white cat let it go long enough for the gray cat to snatch it up and eat it. Then the white cat spent the next 5 minutes looking around for her "missing toy."

It was quite amusing.

There was a woman in the elevator today, talking to a co-worker in some charming Slavic(?) accent. Then she mentions that she went to grad school in Minnesoooota and all of a sudden she's speaking fluent Cheeseheadeese. Only lasted a second, then back to her regular accent. Don't think she even realized she did it, but it was cute.

Dillemma: My regular grocery store doesn't carry the new Haagen Daas flavor Sticky Toffee Pudding that I've been dying to try. The expensive store' date=' however, does. The problem is that if I go by the expensive store on the way home to get the ice cream, it will melt while I'm shopping at my regular cheap store. If I go shopping at my regular cheap store first, then I must drive miles out of my way for ice cream, compounding the hassle and the guilt. Stupid ice cream.[/quote']

You shouldn't have any guilt -- your regular grocer is obviously not serving your needs. I'd go to the expensive store for the STP ice cream and then eat it while shopping at the regular store.

Manager: "Sir, did you pay for that?"

You: "Yes, I did. At your competitor."

:eg:

I have been without my depression medication for over a week now due to insurance snafus. If I wanted proof that it was working, this is it. I have been on a near constant wave of rage and frustration. The thought that I need these drugs just to function is truly frustrating. But then, it was because my personality had become so loathsome that I sought these drugs in the first place, so it's not terribly surprising. That doesn't make me feel any better, though.

We went over to a friend's house yesterday and played a game called "Scene It," in which you are shown clips of old TV shows and asked to identify the title of the show, the actors in it, or any number of other questions.

I had moved forward exactly 1 space by the time someone else won.

I'm sort of proud of this fact. It means I haven't filled up my brain with useless television trivia, nor have I filled up my life by watching stupid sitcoms.

I miss my old Usenet community.

For a few years, I was a regular on misc.fitness.weights.

I was really doing well on my diet and weight training then, and honestly thought I'd be in a position to win a few powerlifting contests in the near future, or at least place. I was never body-builder lean, but I was looking pretty good for, well, me. There were some very smart people posting at that time, weight training geeks and big names in the surprisingly small fitness industry, a few of whom have since both gotten famous and gone to prison.

Eventually the trolls started to get to me, and a few posters I respected left. I didn't know how to handle Usenet trolling at that time, and I left myself open in ways I now try to avoid. Then came a car accident, and a back injury. My career hit a major slump. I stopped eating like an athlete and started eating like a fat man. Weight training became something I'd do once a week, or once a month. My body and strength went to hell. Somewhere along the way I just stopped reading and posting.

I've tried a few times to go back, but my old friends are gone, as are most of the industry insiders. Mostly these days, it's a bunch of personal trainers with dubious certifications, steroid goofs (and not the fun, geeky ones), and pure trolls. It's not the group I remember.

These last few months have been very good for me as far as weight training is concerned. My strength in the Bench Press, Squat and Dead Lift are fully back to pre-back injury levels, and is still going up. I can finally, honestly say again that I'm stronger than I was ten years ago, and stronger than I was ten years before that. I'm still fat, and not happy about it, but I am fit again. And I don't have anyplace to geek out about it.

I've thought about going back to Deepsquatter.com or some other fitness board and getting back into the community that way, but none of them have really grabbed me. Too many people selling something, too many kids in love with the latest fake supplement or exercise and nutrition "philosophy". It may be that I'm just not at a stage of life where I can be that enthusiastic about a Squat program.

I can do some mild geeking over exercise programs here, but in the end we're a community of gamers. Those of us who do count exercise among our list of hobbies are spread all over the map as far as what types of training we do and why. and there just aren't that many.

So, anyway, some good training over the last few months. Makes me nostalgic for a period of my life that I'm not likely to recapture. If I can drop 50 pounds, maybe I'll take another crack at a powerlifting contest.

Dear abso*@%#lutely useless IT department,

I know a lot of IT people. I know from the IT perspective that dealing with the average Joe Moron can be frustrating. But let me just say, as someone who is not Joe Moron* that you have to be at least minimally able to do your job before you get to roll your eyes at me and hide behind dismissive insults. I don't get paid like you do, so I'll be damned if I'm going to do your work for you. Fix the damn problem.

Yours,

Log

PS:Go. To. Hell.