A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Is it normal to wash baseball caps in the washing machine? My wife keeps doing that and it's destroying all my hats.

I don't wear them, but my wife has a couple, and machine washes them as necessary. Doesn't seem to hurt them, but might be dependant on your definition of "destroy". Also likely to depend on what the rigid inner brim material is: some are a type of plastic (good), others are cardboard (bad). Can somewhat tell prior to purchase from the "feel" of the brim, how it flexes, etc. Obviously, general workmanship and meterials would also be a factor. Both of hers are denim. Wife only gets the good ones, and she's had at least two for as long as I've known her, about 11 years.

This quote from A Canticle for Leibowitz always sends shivers up my spine:

“Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power. Even literacy they fear, for the written word is another channel of communication that might cause their enemies to become united. Their weapons are keen-honed, and they use them with skill. They will press the battle upon the world when their interests are threatened, and the violence which follows will last until the structure of society as it now exists is leveled to rubble, and a new society emerges. I am sorry. But that is how I see it.”

Walter M. Miller Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz

I was tempted to say something unkind. But, really, what would be gained?

Given I'm not even the one dealing with it, others with more patience are, why should I even feel frustrated - why would I feel anything about something that doesn't concern me? This is, after all, exactly what I have criticized others for often enough.

Let me keep my mouth shut until I have something constructive to say.

Lucius Alexander

I have bigger palindromedaries to fry.

Here is to Bill Tutte & Tommy Flowers who achievements shortened WWII by years. Tutte pulled off what has been described as "one of the greatest intellectual feats of World War II" and Flowers built on Tutte's work by building the Colossus computer, the first world's first programmable electronic computer, to help solve encrypted German messages.

Both Bill Tutte and Tommy Flowers were stationed at Bletchley Park. Their work together cannot be underestimated in giving Britain and the Allies the edge in WWII.

So here is to two people that history forgot, lest we forget them.

At times things have gone wrong at work (failure of hardware/software/both). Sometimes several things. I get though them as best I can.

Then there are those days where so much goes wrong it is not possible to finish all of my duties by the end of the shift. On a recent day like that, I was in a particular frame of mind.

I wondered aloud, "When did this beome a simian tool factory?!"

Coming out of the flats today there is a magpie perched on the steps.

That was nothing to what happened next. Suddenly a rat appears and then heads towards the basement having scared me out of some years of life.

Now the buggers are working together.

Sounds like they caused you to Poe in your pants.

I just realized that one of my internal "tests" for whether or not I post to a thread on any forum, anywhere, is a) whether I want to end up subscribed to the thread, and B) whether it's too much "hassle" to then go and unsubscribe from it.

Kinda made me chuckle. :P