A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I'm so proud to be a Floridian.

Manatee riding? 911 phone sex? That's weird Fla.

TALLAHASSEE — In 2012, Florida was a state where a lifeguard got fired for saving a life, a woman got arrested for riding a manatee and a man repeatedly used 911 as a phone sex service.

Think that's weird? It gets worse and more tragic.

In one of the state's most horrifying stories of the year, a man stripped a homeless man naked and attacked him in Miami, chewing off most of his face before police fatally shot him. And it wasn't the only story of its kind. In Manatee County, deputies used multiple Tasers to subdue a naked man who bit off part of another man's arm.

Later in the year a man won a roach-eating contest outside a Deerfield Beach pet store and then dropped dead in front of the store when body parts of the dozens of roaches he swallowed blocked his airway. ...

And that's just the beginning. http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121227/WIRE/121229731/1034

We should be using the base 12 counting system!

I've been making this argument for years. Then today, I stumbled across this by accident.

I didn't know that there are groups out there actually pushing this, like www.dozenal.org. I'm so signing up for their newsletter.

I feel so validated :D

Past Sheldon: All right, next question. Kirk or Picard?Past Leonard: Oh, uh, well, that’s tricky. Um, well, uh, Original Series over Next Generation, but Picard over Kirk.

Past Sheldon: Correct.

Both Leonard & Sheldon got it wrong, TNG all the way. Make it so, engage.

Suits Sell, But Who's Buying?

Dave Mustaine, lead singer of heavy metal band Megadeth (and formerly of Metallica), has gotten 8,600 likes for a 428-word rant against suit retailer Men's Wearhouse. His beef? He bought his manager a gift certificate that was not delivered in time for Christmas.

Not cool, Men's Wearhouse!

Mustaine has vowed to boycott the chain whose founder, George Zimmer, promises, "You're going to like the way you look; I guarantee it":

We are all living in very tight financial times right now, and like I said, you may not wear a suit for your job or for an event or occasion, but if you do, I would strongly recommend you wear someone else’s suits. Go to Jos. A Bank instead. I for one, will never set foot in a Men’s Warehouse, even for shelter from a blizzard.

I absolutely GUARANTEE it.

The company -- doubtless knowing that failing to respond to this sort of thing can go viral very quickly -- left a message offering to help Mustaine on his Facebook page on Jan. 2, and also tweeted at him. " Dave, thanks for reaching out to us on Facebook. We apologize for the delay in receiving your gift card and agree that the delay is unacceptable," the company told him.

Megadeth fans, meanwhile, have filed 1,300 comments on Mustaine v. Men's, and they're about evenly mixed between those laughing at him and those laughing with him.

This came a week after Mustaine told the band Lacuna Coil to "get offa my lawn."

JG

I'm thinking of starting another music thread here. This time we get to pick favourite albums. But here's the kicker only one artist's album per letter per poster. And you have to say why you like it not just list it.

Also you can only back one choice per letter.

As to those complaints about the Mayan Apocalypse not occurring, well it is not the end of the world is it ?

(Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere).

In the business world, we talk about lean operations and doing more with less. What we mean is that we stop doing the little stuff. It's like skipping your shower or recycling a dress shirt out of the laundry because you just don't have time.

With the flu, we've reached the point where we are skipping putting pants on. Sorry, world, no time for those stupid belts and that button at the top. Not to mention the time we save unloading all that caffeine!

I wonder if anyone will notice.

Satanists planning rally for Florida Gov. Rick Scott

Florida Gov. Rick Scott may have earned himself a new constituency, but the devil is in the details.

Local news site WPBF.com reported that a group of Satanists plans to hold a rally outside Scott's office on Jan. 25 to support the governor’s signing of a bill that allows students to pray at school events.

Truly, there are no Satanists in foxholes.

JG

After an incident where several students in an anatomy class were improperly getting help on an exam over their phones, and another student complained to their mom by phone and provoked a real-time invasion and phone check by College staff, the Dean's office is looking to set a policy whose first draft seems... Overly draconian, unenforceable in large classes, and poorly considered in any case. Why does the College of Science and Engineering seem bent on making themselves out to be technophobes?