Golden Age

Doc Democracy

Right, so the New Year will see the beginning of my long-planned Golden Age campaign.  I intend to run a UK based campaign which makes the supplement a bit less useful than it would otherwise be.  I intend to use this thread simply to post characters and plot ideas, my players do not live here, and ask questions.  Am hoping other Golden Age aficionados will pitch in.

My first question is about resources, I intend to begin in about 1937 and work up to the war.  Am planning on reading one or two books for background on the history and politics of the run up to WWII in Europe.  Any favourite history books out there that I might pick up?  Am looking for books that deliver more of the broad thematic overview than the military detail which WWII histories I have previously picked up often dwell upon. ?  would appreciate documentaries or tv programmes worth watching too.

I have my first two character concepts, 

TANKa Royal Engineer who stormed a German trench wearing steel plate on his chest with two maxim machine guns welded to braces on each arm. 

I imagine he's not always tooled out I'm this way, as it's a bit extreme, so thinking steel plate is probably ubiquitous but putting the whole machine gun frame in place takes a bit longer. For these times, he probably has a pistol and a steel-plates fist.

TAM O’SHANTER, (turns out poor Meg's tail might not have saved him after all). I'll have a think on powers in a bit but I suspect he'll be able to call on "hellish legions" to do his bidding (much to their chagrin - "We'll do it this time Tam but one day your power over us will fade and the we'll have you for Eternity BWAAHAHAHAHA" etc).

Will come back to this regularly.  My heroes will be the premier heroes in the UK, high powered from the start.  I want them to find a lot of things easy and there to be no one to turn to for high-powered back up.  They will be IT.

Doc

I have that one, courtesy of an "I give up" GM who always wanted to run it but his group was never willing.  I've never run it (too buggy), but since our groups are usually high-morality types with their builds, the only thing we're missing is WWII. :lol:

And I have the --

oh, you know what?  I forgot about the one for 4e.

Okay, .

Thanks, Doc.

Since you're starting from 1937, you'd probably get some benefit out of the Pulp Hero genre book. Its detailed month-by-month timeline of historical events extends through 1939. It talks a lot about the cultural conventions of the era, and while the biggest focus is on the United States there's consideration of other nations as well. Various geographic regions of the world are examined for their adventure potential, including wilderness areas such as in Africa and the South Seas, as well as major global cities like London and Shanghai.

The PDF of the book is ridiculously cheap considering its size and scope: https://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/376-pulp-hero-pdf/

5 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

My first question is about resources, I intend to begin in about 1937 and work up to the war.  Am planning on reading one or two books for background on the history and politics of the run up to WWII in Europe.  Any favourite history books out there that I might pick up?  Am looking for books that deliver more of the broad thematic overview than the military detail which WWII histories I have previously picked up often dwell upon. ?  would appreciate documentaries or tv programmes worth watching too.

Here is anything I can think about of the top of my head:

Miltiary History Visualized does deal with a lot of non-combat parts:

Resource Management, inlcuding Manpower.

How technology is just a part of Industry.

And the resource side of war is one that is fought hardest in the prelude to said war. Any resource you can secure before the war, you do not have to conquer, exploit and have a easier time to protect during the war.

The Axis powers really wanted/needed oil. Ironically back in those days, the US was by far the biggest producer of oil. The middle east was not yet developed in that regard.

Germany pretty much spearheaded the artificial production of Fuel/Oil from Coal. But that was never enough.

Hitler had no hope to conquer Britrain. Germany had no chance of pulling a invasion off. He only wanted a quiet on that front so he could import oil via the sea routes.

When that failed, he had no other choices attack the USSR in hopes of getting their Oil production.

Japan was equally blocked from getting relevant oil or other resources in WW2 and the time leading up to it.

The second important resource was Iron. Germany secured that by taking over Norway, more or less.

The Japanese Islands were historically sparse in high quality Iron and I have no data how much they managed to get before it started.

There are some other resources often ignored, in particular Rubber was militarily important. Both vehicles and aircraft do not work so well without tires made from rubber to get them off the ground/their parking position.

As the existence of the Half-Track shows, even drivers licenses were a rare resource in those days.

Note that parts of the war had already started by 1937. The Japanese Invasion of China is arguably a starting point for the 2nd World War.

Well, there is my thread about populating the Golden Age. I even stayed out The Blue Knight ("mystic armour" type "power armor").

I believe in is archived...many of it is English superheroes The Knights of Excalaber. I'll see if I can dig it up and give you a link...

On 12/27/2018 at 5:59 AM, Christopher said:

Hitler had no hope to conquer Britrain. Germany had no chance of pulling a invasion off.

Obviously this doesn't apply in a superhero game. Without the superheroes, the invasion would succeed.

In another genre, the invasion would have succeeded if it wasn't for a group of plucky children and their dog.

A historical thing: the Spanish Civil War ended in early 1939, only a few months before the invasion of Poland.

40 minutes ago, assault said:

Obviously this doesn't apply in a superhero game. Without the superheroes, the invasion would succeed.

In another genre, the invasion would have succeeded if it wasn't for a group of plucky children and their dog.

A historical thing: the Spanish Civil War ended in early 1939, only a few months before the invasion of Poland. 

If only one side has Superheroes, of course that side would win.

Thoset Video should give you an idea how German Superheroes might affect the war/invasion chances, both during the war and before it.

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

If only one side has Superheroes, of course that side would win.

Thoset Video should give you an idea how German Superheroes might affect the war/invasion chances, both during the war and before it.

"German Superheroes" aren't a thing if they are fighting for the Nazis. By definition, the word is "German Supervillains".

Actual German "superheroes" would be fighting for the Allies, at least after a while.

Of course, if we are dealing with "realistic" history, which side would Indian superheroes be on? But that's a bit much for a "proper" Golden Age game.

You could have specific location ones such as

Red Dragon from Wales based obviously on the Welsh flag.

John Bull for England

and Black Watch for Scotland based on the regiment. Maybe a piper in full regalia but that all depends on how much of a stereotype you wish ior are comfortable with. I can't think of an Irish one that isn't really a stereotype.

Then you could have someone from Arthurian legend i.e. Lancelot, Sir Gawain, Sir Bedivere, Sir Galahad but probably not King Arthur. Merlin is a possibility. That does bring in Morgan Le Fey and Mordred as other foes.

There were Belgian refugees from World War 1 who stayed in Britain. Hercule Poirot is a notable example. So there is another possibility.

From Holland you could have a William of Orange  connection prior to or after the outbreak of the war. Operation Amsterdam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Amsterdam) fits in there.

The Kingdom of Champions book had a Gurkha. So again the possibility exists for different parts of the Empire to be represented. Australia or New Zealand or Canada.

The Spanish Civil War is on during 1937 so you could have refugees from Spain turning up. Or fighters as there were British fighters in the International Brigades. Bearing in mind that the Soviets were recruiting agents in the 30s there could be KGB involvement

10 hours ago, death tribble said:

You could have specific location ones such as

Red Dragon from Wales based obviously on the Welsh flag.

John Bull for England

and Black Watch for Scotland based on the regiment. Maybe a piper in full regalia but that all depends on how much of a stereotype you wish ior are comfortable with. I can't think of an Irish one that isn't really a stereotype.

Then you could have someone from Arthurian legend i.e. Lancelot, Sir Gawain, Sir Bedivere, Sir Galahad but probably not King Arthur. Merlin is a possibility. That does bring in Morgan Le Fey and Mordred as other foes.

There were Belgian refugees from World War 1 who stayed in Britain. Hercule Poirot is a notable example. So there is another possibility.

From Holland you could have a William of Orange  connection prior to or after the outbreak of the war. Operation Amsterdam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Amsterdam) fits in there.

The Kingdom of Champions book had a Gurkha. So again the possibility exists for different parts of the Empire to be represented. Australia or New Zealand or Canada.

The Spanish Civil War is on during 1937 so you could have refugees from Spain turning up. Or fighters as there were British fighters in the International Brigades. Bearing in mind that the Soviets were recruiting agents in the 30s there could be KGB involvement

You can't go wrong with the Knights of Excalaber as an NPC hero group. You got The Blue Knight and his two sidekicks, the Red Dragon and Ben Niles from Welch and Scotland, Longbow and Steel Saxon, and the expatriot (the London) Cowboy as a core group to attach the player character hero's to.

The Blue Knight is an archaeologist pretending to be a midevil English knight. Both Longbow and Saxon has links to Robin Hood of the stories. Red Dragon has ties with dragons, and Ben is linked mystically to the British mountain range. And Cowboy is the friendly odd man out, and can link anyone who is not British and make them feel at home.

And there is the Golden Goose Pub which the group operates out of much of the time.

23 hours ago, assault said:

“German Superheroes" aren't a thing if they are fighting for the Nazis. By definition, the word is "German Supervillains".

I do intend to have German superheroes who will come into conflict with the PCs when those heroes defend their people from the effects of allied bombing etc.

15 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Well depending on tone,’with one end being flashy, body hugging, costumes, and the other end of the scale being Pattern 1937 Battle Dress, balaclavas, and unusual shoulder tabs, you could use Code names for the supers?

I am going full on superheroes here, capes, masks and mystery men. ?

7 hours ago, Doc Shadow said:

You're spelling Excalibur wrong.

Sorry. I don't mean to be a pita but I had to say something, it was annoying me.

To be fair Steriaca does acknowledge his issues, the Misspellian Master.  And why you would focus purely on Excalibur, I have no idea. ?

Doc

7 hours ago, steriaca said:

And there is the Golden Goose Pub which the group operates out of much of the time.

Not quite decided on a base, the heroes are going to be a supergroup.  They will each be the strongest members of teams from around the UK/Empire, who come together to deal with national level threats.  They will be the premier superhero group in the UK, no one to turn to for higher powered help.  They will be experienced and powerful.

I am also planning to rehabilitate Chamberlain a bit.  He does appease the Nazis but has the motive of preventing a Second World War, avoiding millions of deaths across the globe.  While being a bit supine politically, he will be bringing these super humans together to undermine Nazi policy.  The players will have a few victories that prevent Britain being knocked out of the war, or subverted into a fascist society, Edward Moseley will be their biggest  meta-opponent early on in the campaign.  Britain will not fall under a fascist spell and vote in a fascist government.  I am going to make Chamberlain a psychic who is taking the least worst option at all times, even at the expense of his own reputation.

I am still working out why the war is not simply a fight between superheroes.  In DC, retro-explaining, Superman was kept out of the fighting due to the use of the Spear of Destiny by the Nazis.  It’s magic subverted those under its influence and Superman is famously vulnerable to magic.  I don’t want to use that particular trope.

Doc