Copyrighted Monsters

zslane

Does anyone happen to know if Paizo paid a licensing fee to Wizards of the Coast to use the Aboleth in Pathfinder?

More generally, I wonder how often monsters created and owned by one RPG publisher get used by another. Is it common? Does money usually exchange hands when this happens?

From d20SRD.org (http://www.d20srd.org):

Q: Why are some monsters missing from this site? 
A: The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD: 

beholder 
gauth 
carrion crawler 
displacer beast 
githyanki 
githzerai 
kuo-toa 
mind flayer 
slaad 
umber hulk 
yuan-ti 

33 minutes ago, zslane said:

This makes me wonder how much 21 Laps Entertainment had to shell out to WotC to use the term "Mind Flayer" in Stranger Things season 2.

Actually probably nothing, sure they would have to get written permission, but Stranger Things was/is such a big hit that it counts as $1000's or $10,000's of free advertising for D&D and if WotC said no or demanded money, then the Stranger Things guys could have just said, ok, we'll use an Cthulhu or H.P. Lovecraft name for free since it is public domain and then WotC would have nothing. So I'm sure they would let them do it for free. 

Now Season 3 of True Detective is a more interesting case. In that (SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD)...

In one instance you see a D&D source book out of focus on a kid's end-table and later on the detectives learn that the missing kids were playing D&D, although they never use the name, it is always "that game", never Dungeons and Dragons. They even find a bunch of dice (d8, d4, d20, d12) in the woods near the crime scene, but again, D&D is never mentioned by name, only as "That game". Although it is only EP3 of the season, so maybe they will use it by name in the episodes to come, but so far I think they are avoiding saying it probalby because they didn't get permission and the fact that the kids playing the game probably lead to their murders so WotC might not have wanted to be associated with that. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A lot of the really odd stuff in the Monster Manual was -- literally -- Gary Gygax getting a package of weird little plastic monsters made in China or Japan, I can't remember which.  And just coming up with what they were.  Like the Rust Monster, the Bulette, that kind of thing.  Most of those are copyrighted.  Some were adapted from literature like the Displacer Beast (from Black Destroyer by A. E. van Vogt).

31 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

A lot of the really odd stuff in the Monster Manual was -- literally -- Gary Gygax getting a package of weird little plastic monsters made in China or Japan, I can't remember which.  And just coming up with what they were.  Like the Rust Monster, the Bulette, that kind of thing.  Most of those are copyrighted.  Some were adapted from literature like the Displacer Beast (from Black Destroyer by A. E. van Vogt).

The funny thing is that I _remember_ the little plastic "dinosaurs" that contained both the Bullette and the Rust Monster.  :lol:  My youngest brother drove the librarian nuts when we went to Anchorage-- he kept wanting to find the book with that specific "dinosaur" in it.  :rofl:

• 1 month later...