Funny Pics II: The Revenge

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

tp44yywmels51.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the Game Master has one job and one job only: To make sure that everyone in the group including (him or herself) is having fun. That's it. Nothing about building a sophisticated world or setting, nothing about leading (or railroading) players through tricks and traps, nothing about constructing clever puzzles for the players to solve. It's just about having fun.

I think the common comparison of Game Master = Deity is misguided. I don't think the GM has to know everything about the setting, and they certainly don't have to plan for every eventuality. It's fruitless to think that you could even do so. If the players are even half as clever as you - and in my case, that's not a particularly high bar to clear - they're going to come up with things that you couldn't predict in a hundred years. And that's fine. You just have to be able to roll with it.

Rather than a Divine figure, I think of the Game Master as a tour guide. Lead the players through an interesting, challenging, and fun experience. Yes, set things up to make the experience interesting and challenging, but also realize that the players are going to do something completely out of left field from time to time and be willing to be okay with that. It is said that no plan ever survives contact with the enemy, and while the players are not the enemy of the Game Master, experience tells me that this is true for Game Masters as well. Because the successful RPG isn't just the GM's story, it's everyone's story.