Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Bazza

On 5/3/2019 at 4:36 AM, Starlord said:

Cavalry is an offensive weapon, Dothraki cavalry in particular.  You can't perform complicated 'held cavalry charges' or flanking strikes in the dark against an enemy you can't see with unknown numbers.  The only option you are left with is an opening charge.

Well kt wlj,d have been better to send the Dothraki out in a long and careful flank with scouts (without flaming swords) out front to reconnaissance, and  then have them charge the read when the dead were pinned to the defenses.  But yeah crappy generalship, but really well paced and dramatic.

Well, tonight's episode was bitter sweet, as we said goodby to Sir Jorah, Sir Berric, Lady Mormont, and  the rest.  They really are pushing the character moments of the series., and solidifying the conflicts upcoming.  The Episode was also infuriating, as we lost Rargul (The green dragon), and Missandae. I am thinking that King's Landing will burn.  MIsandae's last word, command "Drakaris"< kind of makes it apparent that no quarter will be asked at this point.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

I'm not not sure how Daenerys's side feels they have the stronger position at this point.  Those mega ballista seem to completely negate Drogon at this point, yet they keep talking about how they're gonna make KL burn.  :think:

I felt like the ballista could have easily been dealt with on the naval front by simply going high enough to be unseen and then diving in on the ships from behind.

The ballista take a fair bit of time to turn and they have a limited arc of fire - they can't fire anywhere near straight up.  A good dive & strafe would have wreaked havoc.

The accuracy of the ballista would be high questionable as well.  Like, what are they using for target practice to train the soldiers firing them?  It's not like they have hot-air-balloon-dragons to test on.

Re. Cleganebowl

Well, obviously we want the Hound to win in the end. But I suspect there'll be a couple of heats before the final round.

My predictions are:

Greyworm vs. Mountain. Mountain wins. (We've seen how The Mountain vs. nimble dex based fighter worked out in the past. RIP Oberyn. To make it worse Greyworm won't be using poison and Gregor no longer seems to feel pain. He's basically a flesh golem at this point.)

The Hound vs. several Kingsguard. The Hound wins, he isn't going down  to a bunch of faceless nobodies.

The Final:  Sandor vs. Gregor. Brother to brother. An old family grudge with years of hate to fuel it. It'll be a great sword fight. I look forward to it. I'd love to see The Hound win. But I'm not sure he will...

Who else do we have that could possibly take on the Mountain?

Jon Snow has no personal beef with the guy, so not much dramatic impact. Also, don't think he'd win.

Arya would love to kill him but would leave him to the Hound. Not that I think she could actually kill him. cf. Greyworm above.

Brienne. In Winterfell, I don't think she'll come south. Even if she did, much like Jon, she has no personal stake here, so very unlikely to be the one to take him on. Again, not sure she'd win. I mean she's good. She beat the Hound and Jaime but she takes hits in every battle and a hit from The Mountain...

Jaime. Let's be serious, he couldn't take the Mountain if he still had his good hand.

Bronn. Why would he even try? He ain't stupid.

Drogon (with Dany on his back). Bites Mountain in half with a single snap of his jaws. Anti-climactic but kinda funny.

If I were writing it: Sandor dies but  manages to do enough hurt that the Mountain dies shortly thereafter from wounds.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:31 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Well kt wlj,d have been better to send the Dothraki out in a long and careful flank with scouts (without flaming swords) out front to reconnaissance, and  then have them charge the read when the dead were pinned to the defenses.  But yeah crappy generalship, but really well paced and dramatic.

I almost killed everyone’s good time when I was yelling at the tv during last week’s episode, for this very reason. What the hell?!

On 5/5/2019 at 11:38 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Well, tonight's episode was bitter sweet, as we said goodby to Sir Jorah, Sir Berric, Lady Mormont, and  the rest.  They really are pushing the character moments of the series., and solidifying the conflicts upcoming.  The Episode was also infuriating, as we lost Rargul (The green dragon), and Missandae. I am thinking that King's Landing will burn.  MIsandae's last word, command "Drakaris"< kind of makes it apparent that no quarter will be asked at this point.

I kinda thought everyone would be a lot happier for having beaten the white walkers and ending the long night. I understand the somber mood, but I would have expected a more celebratory heroes’ good bye. I really started to wonder about the quality of writing at this point. Seriously, the Lord of the Rings moment two weeks ago with the singing and montage drove me nuts. 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:22 AM, Toxxus said:

I felt like the ballista could have easily been dealt with on the naval front by simply going high enough to be unseen and then diving in on the ships from behind.

The ballista take a fair bit of time to turn and they have a limited arc of fire - they can't fire anywhere near straight up.  A good dive & strafe would have wreaked havoc.

The accuracy of the ballista would be high questionable as well.  Like, what are they using for target practice to train the soldiers firing them?  It's not like they have hot-air-balloon-dragons to test on.

I nearly lost my mind at this scene. Two harpoons killed one dragon, and then Dani actually did dive-bomb the shi-s, only to turn away when all she had to do was strafe her way through them and then turn around and clean up the rest of the fleet. I was yelling at the tv again. And then they suddenly had a hail of harpoons to shoot the ships. Why did t they use that tactic against the two dragons and both would-be successors to the throne?! And by the way, why didn’t they notice an entire fleet while they were flying around in the sky? This is nearly unforgivable writing.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, Starlord said:

My point was that they seemed utterly confident during the negotiation, like it wasn't even in question that they could easily take the city or raze it to the ground. 

Also, why didn't Cersei just shoot them while they're standing at the gates?

Aaaaannnnd this scene pretty much killed the whole thing for me. So any plot holes! Why not harpoon the dragon while he’s just lazily sitting there? They already demonstrated their superior range. Why is Danni so determined to arch south on King’s Landing with, what, twenty soldiers rather than wait for the others to rest and get ready? I mean, this was truly embarrassing for her. No need to negotiate now. And why not just end everything and kill them all? Cersei isn’t that honorable. I’m still not sure why she didn’t kill them all when they first met at King’s Landing. 

And Sheesh! Cersei actually had her arm locked around hers, telling her she’s going to die. Shouldn’t her last words be, “You’re coming with me,” and then dragging her over the edge of the wall with her? 

Im all for dramatic confrontations, and the personal conflicts, but this is turning into soap-opera-grade writing. 

*Rant over*

Maybe. . .

15 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

The Final:  Sandor vs. Gregor. Brother to brother. An old family grudge with years of hate to fuel it. It'll be a great sword fight. I look forward to it. I'd love to see The Hound win. But I'm not sure he will...

What I want to happen, so badly, is for Sandor to win with fire.  It would be so fitting to destroy his brother the same way his brother scarred him mentally & physically for life.

Even more fitting if this involved a flaming sword as Sandor became a chosen one of the Lord of Light.

2 hours ago, Toxxus said:

What I want to happen, so badly, is for Sandor to win with fire.  It would be so fitting to destroy his brother the same way his brother scarred him mentally & physically for life.

Even more fitting if this involved a flaming sword as Sandor became a chosen one of the Lord of Light.

That would be straight up awesome sauce.