Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

1 hour ago, Ranxerox said:

What about the MCU changed your opinion about that?  VIPER is great.

VIPER is great! Its just that until the MCU, I could never take Hydra seriously as a threat to the world.

And Cobra's pretty good too, I suppose. But I still like VIPER best.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

the things they are calling plot-holes aren't in fact plot-holes

The term "plot hole" is going the way of the word "literally", losing its original meaning in favor of a colloquial (mis-)usage that has gained immense cultural momentum thanks to the power of millions of people normalizing the solecism. But that's an entirely different bugaboo, perhaps for a different thread...

My issue with Endgame's time travel isn't the so-called plot holes it creates, but rather the glossed-over questions of ethics vs. pragmatism. When your script establishes the notion of infinite timelines with infinite variations of the reality that the protagonists (and thus, the viewers) experience, I feel there is a narrative duty to do a better job of explaining the consequences of interacting (interfering?) with those timelines. It leaves those of us in the Nerd Tribe with too many nagging questions for which there are no satisfying answers because the writers chose not to place any importance on providing any.

I liked that Endgame took the relatively bold step of turning the usual time travel trope on its head in order to have the Avengers travel through time with the express purpose of changing the past (slightly).  As for the nerdrage about plot holes--yes, time travel equals endless logical inconsistencies and moral dilemmas.  It's why time travel isn't my favorite type of SF and why I especially dislike it in sloppily written Trek.  But Feige & Co. did their best to set it up as almost plausible, the opposite of sloppy, and I'm not going to let it ruin Endgame for me.  Endgame, the superhero film that literally* made me weep with joy.

* Original meaning.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I liked that Endgame took the relatively bold step of turning the usual time travel trope on its head in order to have the Avengers travel through time with the express purpose of changing the past (slightly).  As for the nerdrage about plot holes--yes, time travel equals endless logical inconsistencies and moral dilemmas.  It's why time travel isn't my favorite type of SF and why I especially dislike it in sloppily written Trek.  But Feige & Co. did their best to set it up as almost plausible, the opposite of sloppy, and I'm not going to let it ruin Endgame for me.  Endgame, the superhero film that literally* made me weep with joy.

* Original meaning.

Seriously. I mean... watching that 16Bit video I posted actually makes me sniffly. 

Just say, "On your left..." and I start to choke up.

I'm not just saying it... it happens, every time.

The theater I was in broke out in cheers when Peter Parker showed up.

I guess that's the amazing thing about Endgame and all the movies that led up to it: They made us really care about those characters--often in a way that the comics never did (at least in my own case).

As for the whole time travel thing, well, the whole concept is FUMTU as far as I'm concerned. There's no way to really do it 'right', the best you can hope for is to tell a good story. Which Endgame did.

I'm still so bummed that Endgame didn't beat out Avatar.  Technically the original release of Avengers:Endgame did beat the original release of Avatar, but Avatar made enough on re-release to keep the #1 spot to this day.

Garbage.

Avengers: Endgame is the superior movie.

image.png.fa80d0b563c60ac5c52ed7d24c632a8d.png

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Gone With The Wind has them all beat and it ONLY was show in the USA.

I find the Gone with the Wind numbers pretty well cooked since it took in only $21-$32 million depending on sources and tickets back then were $0.23.

If you adjust by inflation you get the ridiculous number.  If you adjust by ticket prices then to ticket prices now it clocks in closer to $1,000,000,000.

Great movie, but it was certainly not the global blockbuster that Avenger's was or the MCU has been (Franchise total: 22 Billion).

Great movie, but it was certainly not the global blockbuster that Avenger's was or the MCU has been (Franchise total: 22 Billion).

But you can't compare like that.  GWTW was only shown in the USA, so you are comparing apples to oranges when you look at domestic vs worldwide.  None of the Avengers movies even show up in the list when you adjust for inflation in domestic sales.  Nor does Avatar, or the newest Star Wars movies.

1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,822,598,200 $200,852,579 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,604,857,600 $460,998,007 1977^
3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,283,791,300 $159,287,539 1965^
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,278,107,600 $435,110,554 1982^
5 Titanic Par. $1,221,303,800 $659,363,944 1997^

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

I wonder what the numbers would be for modern movies if the only time and place you could ever see them was during their run in a theater.

I was thinking something like this. Since most movies are on home big screen HD tvs within 3-6 months now, if you had that when GWTW was released, how many people would have waited.

13 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I find the Gone with the Wind numbers pretty well cooked since it took in only $21-$32 million depending on sources and tickets back then were $0.23.

If you adjust by inflation you get the ridiculous number.  If you adjust by ticket prices then to ticket prices now it clocks in closer to $1,000,000,000.

The numbers are probably accurate.

GwtW ran as a road show presentation from December 1939 to July 1940, with premium advanced-ticket seating selling for "upwards of $1 per ticket", after which it then reduced ticket prices in half for the remainder of the road show presentation period until its general release with "normal" ticket prices in 1941. In 1942, MGM bought the outstanding shares of the production and became the full owner, and promptly re-released it. 1947 saw another re-release, and again in 1954--this time cropped to widescreen. It was re-released in 1961, 1967, 1971, 1989 (with audio and video restoration for the 50th anniversary), and 1998. There have been a few more special event screenings since then, but no more wide releases.

Exclusive road show presentations in major cities used to be fairly common for big-budget productions, and would usually have advance-ticket, reserved seat sales at a much higher ticket price than general admission theaters. Most road show releases had a limited number of showings per day (usually one or two). Many films getting the road show treatment were 3 hours or more, and almost always had a 15-minute intermission between the first and second acts. Much like a Broadway play, there were frequently souvenir programs available in the lobby. A typical road show engagement lasted anywhere from a few months to a year or more, before the film moved to a general admission theater. The films were frequently cut down to a shorter running time when moving to a general admission theater to allow more showings per day.

As an example, here's an article for the Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor version of Cleopatra, which ran in a road show format for 72 weeks in LA and 64 weeks in New York. https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy--showmanship/cleopatra-roadshow-engagements