Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This YouTube video neatly and humorously explains and describes exactly how I feel about movies that needlessly (and in some cases, ruinously) explore the "mysteries and depths" of characters we've come to love from earlier movies. Here's hoping Disney watches this (and pays heed) before having Young Thanos written too deeply into the fabric of the Eternals movie.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:48 AM, Grailknight said:

Since they opened the time travel box already, next up should be Kang.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:58 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Ooooh... hadn't even thought of that, which was stupid of me. Kang is 'way up the list of the Avengers' rogues gallery. Now that you mention him, that does seem like a natural progression.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, mattingly said:

I'd love to see Kang, and possibly the Time Variance Authority and Death's Head.

Kang, Kang, Kang, Kang

Kang, Kang, Kang, Kang

Lovely Kang ! Wonderful Kang ! 

Didn't we just get done watching the heroes use time travel to stop the master villain who then used time travel against them in return?

Now we want the next master villain to be the guy who's main ability centers around time travel??

Nah.

Kang has had an array of great storylines over the years, and some not so great ones.  It's tough to argue with "Why doesn't Kang retreat when he is losing, spend a few years rebuilding his forces and refining his tactics, then return 1 second after he left?"  As one author put it, this would be the height of excitement for the Avengers, but quickly become boring for the readers.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Now we want the next master villain to be the guy who's main ability centers around time travel??

The time travel plot device is like the worst kind of junk food. Once people get a taste, they just clamor for more, even though it isn't good for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marvel Studios Explains The Difference Between The Blip And The Snap
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/kevin-feige-explains-blip-snap/

Kevin Feige: 
“It came pretty fast. We always referred to it as the Blip, and then the public started referring to it as the Snap. We think it’s funny when high school kids just call this horrific, universe-changing event the Blip.”

“We’ve narrowed it down to, the Snap is when everybody disappeared at the end of Infinity War. The Blip is when everybody returned at the end of Endgame…and that is how we have narrowed in on the definitions.”

On 6/13/2019 at 12:14 PM, Ranxerox said:

I really wish that for their next big bad that they could use Istvatha V'han.  Unfortunately, she isn't a Marvel IP.  She is one of the cases where IMO, Champions did a better job than the source material that inspired it. 

Up until the MCU, I'd say VIPER was better than Hydra.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

For movie purposes, Kang should do just as well as V'han. Since the MCU is always redefining their classic comic characters, nothing is stopping them from adding some of Istvatha's sympathetic qualities to Kang.

Except dimension travel > time travel. 

Really, I liked how they handled time travel in Endgame, but even so listening to the endless complaints of people who just didn't get it cast a pall on the experience.  For me, one of the enjoyments of geek movies is the online experience of talking about it afterward.  It is chance to be part of my tribe.  However, it turns out that a sizable chunk of my tribe doesn't know how to handle it when time travel doesn't work the same way that it does in the time travel movies that they are familiar with.   I find myself wanting to tell them that it isn't that complicated, that other people have already done a fine job explaining why the things they are calling plot-holes aren't in fact plot-holes, and to stop being so stubbornly dense. 

What I am saying is that it gets old, and for that reason I don't want another MCU movie with time travel. 

Edit: Though I do agree that Feige and company would probably do a better job making Kang interesting than the comics for the most part have done.