College Football 2019-20

Pariah

A quick glance at a couple of Cougar fanblogs suggests that those people, while not exactly happy, don't feel betrayed or let down.  Leach is leaving that program in MUCH better shape than when he arrived.  I've seen nothing out of the wild speculation category about his replacement, though.

• 1 month later...

Emmert and NCAA administrators meeting before Senate committee

Blumenthal accused college sports administrators of living in a “fantasy” from 50 years ago, calling the “rhetoric and images” used by them “antiquated as leather helmets.” He said that made him “angry.” He said the NCAA is “late to this game,” and told Emmert he’d better speed up.

• 4 months later...

That would be a good sportsgame project to take on; my choice would be to have each school in each conference play each other once, with an eight-team playoff among the conference champions.

That said, I can think of five teams in the Pac-12 that would not be competitive at all, and this is probably true of the other conferences.

There is so much money in college football that the universities will want to go ahead. But it would be unwise at this point.

I see little chance of a normal season, because there seems little chance that the schools in...quite a few states now...can bring the students back.  It's now July basically, and the surge is still growing overall.  In the hard-hit states as things stand now, bringing the students back on campus seems the height of stupidity.  

And can any sane person deny the correlation now?  So even if things quiet down, well cripes....

WE KNOW IT WON'T STAY THAT WAY IF WE TRY TO HAVE "BUSINESS AS USUAL!!"

So what part here says you should have the teams all crowded together?
Oh, and there've been several outbreaks on campuses that brought some teams back when the NCAA said they could, earlier this month.
The greedy *(@#$!@#$s will never learn, will they?  That's why I say "little chance" because in a responsible world it would be not just no, but H*** NO they aren't playing.

One of the most depressing thoughts I've had is...it feels like early March again.  When things are "oh, we're watching but we're still moving forward!"  

The Commissioner (?) of the NCAA has already said there won't be college sports in the fall if there aren't students on campuses.

We'll see how long it takes him to walk that back as cash cow football season approaches, I guess.

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Commissioner (?) of the NCAA has already said there won't be college sports in the fall if there aren't students on campuses.

We'll see how long it takes him to walk that back as cash cow football season approaches, I guess.

The NCAA doesn't actually govern Division 1 college football nor do they derive funding from it. That's all on the schools at the highest levels. I'm no NCAA fan but they showed that they do care somewhat about people over money when they cancelled the NCAA basketball tournament which provides the majority of their revenue.

43 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

The NCAA doesn't actually govern Division 1 college football nor do they derive funding from it. That's all on the schools at the highest levels. 

The NCAA doesn't sanction the College Football Playoff, but obviously they govern, and receive funding from, all Division 1 sports.

3 minutes ago, massey said:

Who knows if we'll even have football this year.  Truthfully I can't get excited about the season.  I don't think there's any way they can expect 80,000 people to crowd together in a stadium this year.  With all those empty seats, every game will feel like a PAC-12 game.  :D

I don't think we can have any sport where humans are in close quarters this year unless they take a bubble approach like the NBA.  The only way any football goes ahead is if we get to the point where we've all just given up and let the virus run rampant through the population until a vaccine arrives.

50 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The only way any football goes ahead is if we get to the point where we've all just given up and let the virus run rampant through the population until a vaccine arrives.

Based on the way people in my state are acting, we're already there. I guess we get football here this fall after all.

You could test the players every week, take their temperature before practice and before the games, and not let people play if they showed any symptoms.  College athletes are gonna be in the lowest risk group of people.  But as soon as one athlete says "I don't feel safe, I'm not playing", what are school administrators gonna do?   They aren't gonna pull some kid's scholarship, not in the current political environment.  It would be a real bad look for a school to have some middle aged guy tell a group of young, 50% black, unpaid school kids "you have to risk infection with a potentially deadly disease or we'll pull your scholarship".

I agree, I don't think we'll have anything like a real season this year.

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

Based on the way people in my state are acting, we're already there. I guess we get football here this fall after all.

I think you'll have at least one athlete who refuses to play, saying that the university doesn't value him as a human being, they are putting his health at risk, etc.  And then it'll be a nationwide movement that gets a ton of attention, and then the NCAA will cancel the season.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

The NCAA doesn't sanction the College Football Playoff, but obviously they govern, and receive funding from, all Division 1 sports.

Actually, the NCAA itself makes it's money almost purely from the NCAA Basketball tournament ( 867.5 M including TV rights) and ticket sales to Championship games( 177.9 M). All the regular season money from all sports and conference networks is kept by the schools. So cancelling the tourney this year took more than 80% of their revenue. The breakdown on how it's spent can be found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go

The NCAA is a confusing morass of contradictory goals and uneven rulings but they actually do have some principles.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

The NCAA is a confusing morass of contradictory goals and uneven rulings but they actually do have some principles.

I disagree.  They didn't cancel anything, IMO;  they merely acqueisced to the reality that no one would let them play.  Go back to the evening of March 11th, when Adam Silver makes the call to suspend the NBA.  The writing wasn't on the wall at that point;  there wasn't wall left, only writing.  As a retired bum...I remember sitting at home with ESPN on for much of that day, as league after league dropped out.  I'll buy that the structure of the NCAA made them slower;  their OODA loop implicitly has some big delays due to organizational structure.  But there was NO choice.  I commend Adam Silver and the NBA for having the guts to shut things down when it became immediately untenable, but Emmert et al. just followed the leader.

Oh, and lest we forget?  This from NPR, dated March 9th:

A growing number of U.S. colleges have canceled in-person classes because of the coronavirus. The closures began in Washington state, and now include Harvard University, Columbia University, Princeton University, Rice University, Stanford University, Hofstra University, University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Washington, among others. As of midday Tuesday, more than half a million students are affected by the cancellations.

So again...how can you hold sports events when college campuses are being shuttered?  Nope.  NCAA gets no props from me.