Happy Thanksgiving!

KA.

We go live now to CNN

'This is Brent Parker and I am outside the Stepford Mall where literally dozens of turkeys have barricaded themselves in. We understand from the police that they have taken hostages and that they are armed and dangerous'

'Brent this is Simon Acapella in the studio. Little confused here. Are the hostages armed and dangerous or is it the police ? Because we already know that the police are armed and dangerous. But that is for our own good.'

'No Simon, the police have said that the turkeys are armed and dangerous. We are waiting on a police negotiator to speak to the turkeys. I'm sorry we are being moved by the police as something is going on. Back to you in the studio'.

We will keep you updated on this breaking story. Now sport with Jim Naisium. Jim ?'

Well, I heard "Alice's Restaurant" for the first time in it's long, very long entirety.

The main refrain and tune is catchy

but I guess my attention span is shot because after the first nine minutes I started to sigh and drift a bit. And frankly, while it had some amusing moments, the payoff wasn't worth the wait.

I feel bad for not loving this anti-war/anti-stupidity ditty which apparently is part of American Thanksgiving traditions in some places because it was suggested by a friend that loved it.

But I found it tedious very quickly. Am I a bad person?

Canadian Thanksgiving was &etc blah blah passive aggressive felicitations and salutations.

So. What about that amusing political person? Please. Talk amongst yourselves while I eat all the pie. (Because it's a race and I won by skipping Aunt Andrea's turkey, that's why. Now go argue about immigration with Great Uncle Al while I do vodka and Cool Whip shooters here on the kitchen floor.)

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Nope.  I find it tedious, inane, and filled with the smarm over the conceit that it is far more clever than it ever actually was.   (granted, I have the same problem with "Family Guy," for the same reasons) 

26 minutes ago, death tribble said:

flying lessons;

Two questions for the public at large:

Where did the myth that turkeys can't fly come from in the first place? 

Why does it continue?! 

Granted, hunting them would be a lot easier if it was true..... 

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, I heard "Alice's Restaurant" for the first time in it's long, very long entirety.

The main refrain and tune is catchy

but I guess my attention span is shot because after the first nine minutes I started to sigh and drift a bit. And frankly, while it had some amusing moments, the payoff wasn't worth the wait.

I feel bad for not loving this anti-war/anti-stupidity ditty which apparently is part of American Thanksgiving traditions in some places because it was suggested by a friend that loved it.

No; it is a different time now.  Really, it is more of a self-accompanied comedy monologue with political overtones.  And comedy that doesn't reach you gets tedious very quickly, as you say.

Being someone who, at the time the song came out, had to stare at the possibility of being drafted into that war (which showed no meaningful sign of ending), in a couple of years, and already was acquainted with at least one guy who wasn't coming back ... for the folks my age who do not remember that episode of America throwing her weight around with fondness ... there's significance to it that is, as the phrase goes, growing distant to the ear.  Ironically, rather than me it was my father who was sent there (admittedly in an NGO, he was never going to see combat, but he was on US bases there and was there during the first half of 1968 when the Tet Offensive began).  Dad did come back, albeit with some PTSD (unrecognized at the time) that took several months to work off.

We play Alice's Restaurant at our house every Thanksgiving, but the speakers are in a different room from the food.

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Where did the myth that turkeys can't fly come from in the first place? 

Wild turkeys can fly.  Domesticated and bred for eating turkeys have overdeveloped breasts areas (like Pamela Anderson) so they can’t fly.

Happy Thanksgiving, and Squanto was a traitor!!