The Batman

Greywind

Not really feeling this one.  On one hand they say they want it to be about Batman the Detective.  Emphasis on Detective since "this aspect has not been explored in movies".

But then they say they want it to "be emotional" and cast someone that looks like my neighbors 12 year old.  Or maybe a vampire with glitter.

Too bad, I would have loved to see the cold logical machine that is Batman the Detective.  Not one Hardy Boy trying to explore his inner feelings. 

1 minute ago, Greywind said:

Well, so far this movie promises Catwoman, The Riddler, The Penguin, and now Two-Face.

Makes it even worse.  Diluting the movie across that many villains means they will not be managing more than cameos. 

Not enough minutes to develop much with that many major characters. 

10 hours ago, Greywind said:

Well, so far this movie promises Catwoman, The Riddler, The Penguin, and now Two-Face.

10 hours ago, Spence said:

Makes it even worse.  Diluting the movie across that many villains means they will not be managing more than cameos. 

While expensive actors for cameos, all of these characters fit well in a "Batman as Detective" movie in roles of contacts he might question, rather than the villain of the piece.  Pick one to be the major villain, and the other three as cameo players Bats questions or investigates for intel, and the other three could play more major roles in sequels.

13 hours ago, Spence said:

I actually like those kinds of stories, myself.  It proves the superior capability and resolve of the hero as he or she triumphs over all the adversaries at once.

I like the idea of several small cameos as detective Batman investigates to discover the real culprit in a whodunit story.  Even the casual viewer doesn't need villain origin stories at this point.  Heck, why not have them all be prisoners in Arkham that Batman has to visit and question....

40 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

I actually like those kinds of stories, myself.  It proves the superior capability and resolve of the hero as he or she triumphs over all the adversaries at once.

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I like the idea of several small cameos as detective Batman investigates to discover the real culprit in a whodunit story.  Even the casual viewer doesn't need villain origin stories at this point.  Heck, why not have them all be prisoners in Arkham that Batman has to visit and question....

I do not disagree.  I love a great story with multiple lines/plots and several adversaries. That is how I run my games.

But we are talking Follywood and its recent track record.  Their ability to take the Amazing and turning it into a steaming pile cannot be underestimated.

With people who cannot count past ten if they have shoes on, the thought of them being able to actually create an interesting mystery plus stories for five plus villains doesn't fill me with confidence.

The emphasis on making the story explore the "emotional" side plus the casting of a teenage heartthrob fills me with a twilight foreboding.

2 minutes ago, Spence said:

With people who cannot count past ten if they have shoes on, the thought of them being able to actually create an interesting mystery plus stories for five plus villains doesn't fill me with confidence.

Yes, but if they are true cameos they won't need accompanying subplots.  We'll see.