DC's Stargirl

Spence

I noticed a commercial for a CW show called DC's Stargirl and recorded it.  I record a lot of shows that tend to swirl the toilet these days.

I watched it last night.  I had to check the calendar to see if it was really 2020 and then see if I was awake and overcome suspicions I was in a coma or something.

A CW Supers show that wasn't grim grim dark dark keeping time by bashing me in the forehead with its AGENDA!! 2x4.  It has been a long time since I can remember reading a comic with Stargirl and I was pleasantly surprised.  It's been over twenty years since they stopped making comics so I had to refresh myself on the character, but I think this TV attempt shows promise.  As long as the idiots at the studio don't decide to "update" the story to be "relevant and edgy", or as I know it "crap all over the story in order to promote a personal agenda". 

I added this show to my DVR, hopefully the first episode indicates what the entire series will be like. 

Agreed. I enjoyed it too. Though again we have the problem of the new shared universe, so now all the other heroes should know about the disappearance of the JSA. Also, means that Green Arrow is no longer the first superhero in their universe, though maybe that was addressed before.

11 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Agreed. I enjoyed it too. Though again we have the problem of the new shared universe, so now all the other heroes should know about the disappearance of the JSA. Also, means that Green Arrow is no longer the first superhero in their universe, though maybe that was addressed before.

Well, it is possible they have realized the downside of a "shared universe" and will leave this one separate.  Maybe not likely, but it is possible....

I wonder if, now that several of the earths with superheroes have been merged, Superman takes that designation like he had in Post-Crisis comics?

Courtney was created by Geoff Johns as a tribute to his late sister, so I imagine the character has rather more pressure from higher up to remain true to her origin than most that are adapted from comics to TV. Extremely unlikely that the CW would be allowed to go edgier or more sexed-up with her treatment.

6 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Our forum colleague Cassandra has long expressed very, um, emphatic opinions and assessments of the DC Comics properties translated to film or television over the past decade or so.

Ah.... I always thought she displayed a discerning level of good taste in supers.  

I thought it was a reference to something specific about Stargirl.

3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I tried, but I only got about 15 minutes in. As soon as she got dissed by the cheerleader and sent to the “loser table” I pulled the ripcord.  

May have been slightly early.  It was the just the standard "new girl/guy trying to fit into new school" drivel in comics featuring a teen hero.  A nod quickly passed. 

Like has been said, the show actually turned out to be decent with a good possibility it will be good. 

Of course it is very possible that they only teased a good show and it will quickly go down the drain. 

But I am hopeful...

48 minutes ago, Spence said:

May have been slightly early.  It was the just the standard "new girl/guy trying to fit into new school" drivel in comics featuring a teen hero.  A nod quickly passed. 

Like has been said, the show actually turned out to be decent with a good possibility it will be good. 

Of course it is very possible that they only teased a good show and it will quickly go down the drain. 

But I am hopeful...

I usually try to give a show a better chance than that but from the previews I had the feeling that the JSA costumes and identities were going to be given to to her outcast friends without any real training powers or reason.
   At least Courtney was picked by the staff.  Not a real reason but an acceptable one in genre literature.  The Green Lantern ring choosing its next wearer for example.
    If people tell me this didn’t happen or that the show was really good I’ll give it another try later in the season.

9 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I usually try to give a show a better chance than that but from the previews I had the feeling that the JSA costumes and identities were going to be given to to her outcast friends without any real training powers or reason.
   At least Courtney was picked by the staff.  Not a real reason but an acceptable one in genre literature.  The Green Lantern ring choosing its next wearer for example.
    If people tell me this didn’t happen or that the show was really good I’ll give it another try later in the season.

Outcast friends? 

But fair enough.  I've taken that stance on more than one show myself.

I watched Stargirl last night and enjoyed it. No telling how long that might last of course. It's usually the writing that turns me off of television shows, the propensity of their protagonists to be idiots for the sake of 'drama'. There wasn't too much of that, but the night is young.

The opening battle was excellent.

3 hours ago, Panpiper said:

I watched Stargirl last night and enjoyed it. No telling how long that might last of course.

I know what you mean!  The first episode of Supergirl was _wonderful_.

It took it what-- half an episode after that?-- to become absolute garbage?

I ditched when I realized that the human race was doomed, since the rare hetero characters could only fall in love with aliens....

No; you're wrong.  There are two-- three?-- people on this board who know me better than the bulk of you; if willing, they can confirm that I am as far from homophobic as you can get.  But I also know that for any species to survive, you have to have a reasonable portion of that species that kinda digs the idea of procreation.

1 hour ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Yeah. Some of us work hard every day to be idiots!

Piker!

Some of us come by it honest!  :lol:

10 hours ago, Spence said:

Outcast friends? 

But fair enough.  I've taken that stance on more than one show myself.

Yeah, yeah, I was trying to avoid the term “loser’s table”.  That’s what I came up with, it was late.

8 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

No; you're wrong.  There are two-- three?-- people on this board who know me better than the bulk of you; if willing, they can confirm that I am as far from homophobic as you can get.  But I also know that for any species to survive, you have to have a reasonable portion of that species that kinda digs the idea of procreation.

Well, technically, as long as there are women around, there could be procreation regardless. Two of my best friends are a lesbian couple. They wanted a kid, and asked me to help. Their being lesbians was not a hindrance to procreation.

But yea, I am equally non politically correct with how virtue signalling 'woke' people are trying to be. The idea that people need people of their own race or sexual persuasion in order to identify with them is IMO, a pretty racist idea itself. I am a white male. I have absolutely no issue with identifying with a female protagonist, a black protagonist, or any manner of sexual persuasion, because my own 'identity' has nothing to do with such tribalism. I am a human being and a unique individual, as is everyone else, as are the hero protagonists in movies, etc.. I identify with them on that level. No racism or sexism involved.

The fact that every single character in Supergirl (except the titular character and the well-established cousin) is -- Hell, I don't even know the PC words for it; bear with my coarseness:

Only gets hot for people with whom they cannot continue their species doesn't bother me as a concept.  However, much like Steve's horrible idea of sticking every damned genre book onto the same timeline-- I find it really difficult to get into a story knowing that no matter what the characters do, the world they are fighting for is doomed.

8 hours ago, Panpiper said:

But yea, I am equally non politically correct with how virtue signalling 'woke' people are trying to be. The idea that people need people of their own race or sexual persuasion in order to identify with them is IMO, a pretty racist idea itself. I am a white male. I have absolutely no issue with identifying with a female protagonist, a black protagonist, or any manner of sexual persuasion, because my own 'identity' has nothing to do with such tribalism. I am a human being and a unique individual, as is everyone else, as are the hero protagonists in movies, etc.. I identify with them on that level. No racism or sexism involved.

I firmly believe that there are universals to human nature which any person can relate to and derive satisfaction and enlightenment from. But I also believe there are cultural perspectives and historical experiences which inform various groups, and someone from outside said group who doesn't share them will never fully "get" them in the same way.

Two recent pop cultural examples are the superhero movies, Wonder Woman and Black Panther. Certainly one didn't need to be a woman, or black or African, to enjoy them or appreciate what they tried to do. But I couldn't help but notice the more intense response people from those groups tended to have to the movies; how they were moved by them on a very personal, visceral level.

2 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I firmly believe that there are universals to human nature which any person can relate to and derive satisfaction and enlightenment from. But I also believe there are cultural perspectives and historical experiences which inform various groups, and someone from outside said group who doesn't share them will never fully "get" them in the same way.

Two recent pop cultural examples are the superhero movies, Wonder Woman and Black Panther. Certainly one didn't need to be a woman, or black or African, to enjoy them or appreciate what they tried to do. But I couldn't help but notice the more intense response people from those groups tended to have to the movies; how they were moved by them on a very personal, visceral level.

I do not doubt or deny that there are a great many who do care about what race or sex or sexual persuasion people are on screen.  I do assert that that kind of identitarian tribalism is fundamentally racist. Those who scream the loudest about it are themselves the most guilty. Perhaps that is why they scream. They see in everyone else that which they know of themselves.