Superman Expy in the Hero Universe?

Tywyll

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Sppeaking of the Avengers, "Superman's role as universally recognized boy scout doesn't exist because that trope doesn't exist in the Marvel universe." Excuse me? Captain America?

You are excused. Considering the events of Civil War, as well as Captain America's USAgent and Nomad personas, Captain America has a very different relationship with the public.

13 hours ago, steriaca said:

The Golden Age: Basically from Action Comics #1 to when E.C. Comics shut down all their horror comics.

The Dark Age: From the shut down of most of E.C. Comics stuff (except for Mad), till Fantastic Four #1.

The Silver Age: From Fantastic Four #1 till the Death of Gwen Stacy.

The Bronze Age: From the Death of Gwen Stacy till, um, the 90's.

The Iron Age: The 90's till the end of the Comic Book Crash (the oversaturation of event comics and special covers).

The Modern Age: After the crash till now.

Subages:

The Black And White Age: From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 till the early 90's.

The Manga Age: From Lone Wolf And Cub #1 till the end of Borders book store. 

Others are free to give more details. 

You could say that the Bronze Age is still going on.

I've heard the early millennium referred to as "the Steel Age," having brought the insights from the deconstruction of the super genre during the Iron Age and alloying them with more traditional comic themes, tropes and characterizations.

IMO most recent comics might as well be called "the Slag Age."

If Vanguard is the Champions Universe equivalent of Superman...

...would we really want to see its equivalent of Bizarro? Or Doonsday ( Ripper might be close enough...but he predates Doomsday)?

And no fair calling Bizarro Vanguard "Rearguard".. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, segerge said:

He also appears once in Book of the Machine, which includes the factoid that Vanguard's superhero costume was blue and gold.

I am fairly sure I saw a picture of Vanguard and his costume was blue with red cape and trims. Must be a 6e book since everything was black and white before...

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

And no fair calling Bizarro Vanguard "Rearguard".. 

I love it!

The only other illo of Vanguard I'm aware of is on p. 155 of Champions Universe 6E, which shows his animated corpse pushing out of his grave at the command of Takofanes. In that his costume colors are dark blue, purple, and dirty gold, but that can be attributed to his decayed state. Of course in Book Of The Destroyer it states that Vanguard's body burned to ash on reentry to Earth's atmosphere after exhausting himself smashing the asteroid, but that would be a minor retcon.

A zombie Superman sounds like a terrifying opponent.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

A zombie Superman sounds like a terrifying opponent.

I remember one Adventurers Club writeup for a character who had Regeneration which was fully invisible. The SFX was that damage would appear on his body as he took it and he would fall over "dead" at the appropriate time as if he didn't have any Regeneration (even though the Regeneration really was working in the background).

So he could be "killed". But if the heroes walked away for a while or called the coroner's office and flew away, the bad guy would eventually pop back up apparently fully healed between one moment and the next. And ready to go again.

I wanted to use that concept but never got around to it.

A zombie Superman sounds perfect for that power and SFX.

For some additional mischief, add a triggered costume change when he's fully revived. It might even take the heroes a while to figure out that they're fighting the same monster over and over rather than a series of different monsters.

The only other illo of Vanguard I'm aware of is on p. 155 of Champions Universe 6E, which shows his animated corpse pushing out of his grave at the command of Takofanes. In that his costume colors are dark blue, purple, and dirty gold, but that can be attributed to his decayed state.

That might be what I remember

Of course in Book Of The Destroyer it states that Vanguard's body burned to ash on reentry to Earth's atmosphere

That is not very superhero-y...

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Except that it happened because Vanguard exhausted all his power crashing into that asteroid at ludicrous speed to shatter it.

I understand the rationale. It just feels a grim fate for such a great hero... unless it was to make sure that no body was found. Because you know, if there is no body... 

7 hours ago, assault said:

I prefer the burned to ash version.

It means his body was never found, if you get my drift...

And.... I should have read all the posts before replying...

8 hours ago, assault said:

And the Edomite was stopped by the Descending Hierarchy, except when he wasn't.

The CU's continuity has achieved a similar level of stupid to that of the major comics companies, which is quite an accomplishment.

I'm not sure I grasp your point, assault. Elaboration, please?

5 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I understand the rationale. It just feels a grim fate for such a great hero... unless it was to make sure that no body was found. Because you know, if there is no body... 

And.... I should have read all the posts before replying...

The heroic sacrifice is a classic part of comic-book lore. John "Menthor" Janus staggering through a hail of bullets to warn the other THUNDER Agents of a trap. Ferro Lad of the Legion of Superheroes carrying a bomb into the Sun-Eater. Barry Allen burning himself out destroying the Anti-Monitor's doomsday weapon.

Besides, when you're dead, you usually don't care what condition your body's in. ;)

On 3/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Except that it happened because Vanguard exhausted all his power crashing into that asteroid at ludicrous speed to shatter it.

The amount of BODY you would take from your half of the Move-through damage at ludicrous speed is eye-opening when you sit down and try to design Vanguard in such a way as he fits with his existing descriptions (like in Book of the Destroyer).  Any semi-realistic depiction of his kamikaze run on that asteroid leaves both him and that asteroid little better than fine gravel.